Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 05-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
GTA
Cooling Savant

Default Help, other forums cannot

I've posted on 7 other forums, and they don't seem to be able to help, neither can Nvidia or ATI

I'm building a GFX card block that I wish to sell, to do this, I need to know how to mount it.

I'm also aware that different cards have different mounting specs, not only dependant on the chip we're using, but who makes the card. ( eg. a GF4 Ti4200 from Gainward my be different from a GF4Ti4200 from Abit )

I need to have a mounting system universal to as many cards as possible. Companies produce fans to fit many different types of cards, but they will not respond to me.

For example, I know that to fit some cards, holes 80mm apart is the way to go, but in the case of a fan, it doesn't matter which way up the fan goes, so the angle in between the holes is unimportant. However, on a waterblock, with barbs pointing in a fixed direction, towards the top of the card, it becomes more complex.

Can anyone help at all?

I need the mounting hole positions and intersecting angles for Nvidia cards from GF3 onwards, and ATI cards from 8500 onwards.

Please help if you can, most helpfull response wins a free block, honest.
GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

what I would do personally, is first get as many mounting specs as you can on all the different cars. Chances are the mounting hoes are almost in the same location, just furter apart. Then when making the blocks, make a slip for the bolts to go thrue, that will cover all the specs, or at least most of them.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Think modular. If one makes a block that is the size of the GPU and no larger, then one will never hit capacitors and surface mount components. If one puts a larger copper top on said block, then one can make slots in that top to fit pretty much any application.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
GTA
Cooling Savant

The block itself, or at leat the part that does the cooling, is 46x46mm.

It works on CPU's, GPUs and NBs.

I just need the mounting specs to make it work. Have got a CPU prototype finished, but its 300 miles away at present, should be finally delivered on Thursday/Friday

I like Fixxits idea, if I used washers, and instead of holes, had grooves/slots, at say 80mm and 56mm apart, then it should fit most cards, and once clampted tight enough, be in very little danger of slipping.

The problem is finding the cards to look at, I can't go out and buy each card, and I don't know anyone else who uses top end kit, and might let me do some measuring.

Any other ideas/specs?
Unread 05-20-2003, 10:44 PM   #5
Tuff
Cooling Savant

This might cup back on the efficiency...but what about thermal tape...if the block is light enough it might work?

Tuff
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2003, 01:41 AM   #6
GTA
Cooling Savant

The block is probably light enough to use epoxy I guess, but some people are slightly averse to doing so, makes the bond a bit too permanent, and as you say, loss of efficiency.
Unread 05-21-2003, 03:37 AM   #7
MadDogMe
Thermophile

You can't easily use a block between NB & GPU. The GPU requires that the barbs come out parallel with the top of the block, the NB they just point straight up...

I'd concentrate on the four holes around the GPU (NV) they tend to include them in all designs. Otherwise just use a strip of metal with slots in that will fit between the barbs...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2003, 06:22 AM   #8
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

IS Precisely the reason Why I'm the King of CUSTOM.

in the world of computers there is no "one size that fits all".
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:13 AM   #9
GTA
Cooling Savant

Ahh, but thats where you're wrong

Hopefully

The 46mm square section, with straight up barbs, can be used on a NB or a CPU. The top plate is simply changed to have holes in different places for the NB.

On a GFX card, the barbs are right angled, but the basic design is exactly the same, except again, a differemt top.

I've e-mailed a few PC equipment resellers, to ask them to take a look at the cards they stock, and let me know where the holes are, but I agree with MadDog, the 4 NV holes are a probably a good place to start.
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:20 AM   #10
tippey
Cooling Neophyte

I think you need some interchangeable plates that will bolt to the block allowing it to be used for the different cpu/gpu/nb specs maybe with the slots as mentioned above. That way you will only need about 5 or so different plate designs which can be mass produced quickly.
tippey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You might look at the DD Z-chip for an idea of a solution.

Otherwise, I don't remember who, but someone posted these specs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gfx dims.jpg (21.4 KB, 88 views)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2003, 12:12 PM   #12
GTA
Cooling Savant

BB2K, you the daddy

Exactly what I needed
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
wywywywy
Cooling Neophyte

Hi,

Have you looked at Zalman's solution?