Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

Default My Cascade's on the way. Current rig pics (3/4" pvc).

Hello! This is my first time posting at Pro/Forums. I'm usually a regular over at Overclockers.com. My writing skills are pretty limited. I'll try to get it out the best I can. If somethings not clear, just ask, and please do. I would like to get a question from everyone that views this post. This rig has taken up most of my free time for the past six months.

Since I've got a Cascade on the way, I figured there's no reason for 3/4" piping.

I originaly desinged this system for flow with a MCW462-UH, 2 BIX rads, and a Quiet one pump.

The Rads originaly were in parrallel, but I couldn't fit in two optical drives. I thought that going in series was going to kill my temps but it helped, I noticed a 2C drop.

Plumbing this thing was a total pain in the BUTT! Trying to get everything to line up perfect was pretty nerve wracking.

After a few weeksI noticed that the NB was getting really freakin hot, so I added a D-TEK Z-chip NB block. Putting it in required fabricating some new parts from PVC to plumb it in parrallel with the rest of the loop. I put a BIX micro after the NB block to dump any heat before it got back to the main loop. While I was at it I added a sight glass along the hard drive cage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lower-front.jpg (71.7 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by UberBlue; 07-09-2003 at 06:00 PM.
UberBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full-side-view-fl..jpg (72.9 KB, 141 views)
Unread 07-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #3
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top-looking-back.jpg (72.8 KB, 132 views)
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:00 PM   #4
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump-and-sm.-rad.jpg (72.8 KB, 128 views)
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:02 PM   #5
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

That. Kicks. Ass.

I've had a lot of fun with PVC in my own project, and I've seriously considered going this route with clear PVC in a future standalone project (in conjuction with a Prommy). While many will think that your setup is horribly ugly, there is something to be said about a near indestructable system ... no hoses to kink, no pipes to bend, no tubing to get cut, no clamp wear ... yummy.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nice.

It wouldn't be my first choice, because I prefer to let the block have some flexibility, but I still like the PVC: it's so much easier to work with!

I'm considering using a combination of flexible tubing, and fittings: this might do it.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #7
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks.

Bigben,
The cascade system will be a combo of PVC and Clearfex 60. Like you, I've had a sneaking suspicion of the block not being seated as well as it could be, but I'm paranoid like that.

As for being "eaiser" to work with... I took a whole week off from work, and it took most of that to cut all the pipe, dry fit everything, figuring out the gluing secuence, and puting it all together.

airspirit,
It's definately got the industrial thing going for it.
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:44 PM   #8
sn_85
Cooling Savant

really nice work. i like the top. what kind of case is it?
sn_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

AMS G-tower CF1009.

I LOVE THIS CASE!
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:49 PM   #10
sevisehda
Cooling Savant

I've got a few questions...We've all seen the numbers on how bad T's and elbows are in a system. 3/4in tubing is much less restrictive than 1/2in. So which would better, 3/4in rigid pipe w/ fittings. Or 1/2in flexable tubing w/o?
sevisehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #11
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

sevisehda,

I'm not sure. What I do know is that when I had the rads in parrallel, the water had so much velocity going into the WB, It would whistle.

At one point I had a pressure guage on it, and system pressure was 3.2 PSIG (+/-5%), wich according to the published flow/head chart, that's about 650gph
Unread 07-09-2003, 07:03 PM   #12
megatron
Cooling Neophyte

I have 3/4" vynaflex outside my case going to 1/2" inside. I am just waiting for my silicone marine sealant to dry off (overnight). I will have some pics (in a couple of weeks) but my location of parts is the same as the pics in my sig. I added the 3/4" tubing with a y-split around the NB after I added a z-chip. I can combine 3/4" and 1/2" tubing with the use of bulkhead connectors and brass barbs. I don't think my rig Is ever going to look anything more than a sprawling mess, so no price for the best look. I had to compromise somewhere and this was where.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 07:27 PM   #13
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by sevisehda
I've got a few questions...We've all seen the numbers on how bad T's and elbows are in a system. 3/4in tubing is much less restrictive than 1/2in. So which would better, 3/4in rigid pipe w/ fittings. Or 1/2in flexable tubing w/o?
The PVC piping's ID is larger than the spec. "3/4" PVC tubing actually has an ID of ~1 inch. Actually, the fittings have an ID of 1", so the tubing would be about 3/4" ID. Definitely not restrictive, and much better than 1/2" tubing, but we're already in the insignificant range.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 08:16 PM   #14
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

But it looks cool, and efective at minimizing flow restrictions
Unread 07-09-2003, 08:20 PM   #15
megatron
Cooling Neophyte

It looks alot bigger than my 3/4" vynaflex! How do you get 1" into 1/4" block?!

Last edited by megatron; 07-09-2003 at 08:27 PM.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

With a modified 3/4"->1/2" MPT reducer.