Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Pro/Crunching - Distributed Computing Teams
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Pro/Crunching - Distributed Computing Teams Home of the ProCooling.com Distributed Computing Teams.

Unread 08-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #151
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Power Outage and DF Servers
Hi All.

It is 5:45am in Toronto, and the lights are mostly back on here, but not in many other places.

Thanks for your continued patience with us as we get our servers sorted out, our hard drives checked for integrity and the whole thing turned back on.

If you want to find out what happened, check the news feeds, but we were taken down by the blackout sweeping across the northeast US and Canada. Noone really knows why yet, but it is probably an electrical grid failure.

We will post to this thread on our progress at getting the system back on-line. In the meanwhile I suggest.

1) Reset your configuratinons to buffer work (see the readme.txt file).

2) Monitor this thread for an "all's clear" message then set it back on to upload.

It will take us some time, but I will make sure that we post a status report on this thread by at least noon today if we aren't back up by then.

Christopher Hogue (aka Howard's boss...)
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute
Mount Sinai Hospital
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Toronto
Unread 08-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #152
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Heh, guess I could put the link to the thread that the quoted post above was about.
http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=3917
Unread 08-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #153
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Looks like the green light to dump is lit. Dump'em if you got'em.
Unread 08-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #154
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

4th place! only for a short time Im sure, still 4th place!
Unread 08-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #155
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I pluged the Cable modem back into the router an hour ago. Little green LED's just going ape shit. Looks like everything is dumped now though.

Also just won 256megs 333mhz Kingston DDR and a Asus A7V333 for $67 off e-bay. I got a Duron 1gig sitting on a shelf that can get up to 1300mhz. Those parts should arrive later next week. Hope to have it up and running by next weekend if everything works.
Unread 08-15-2003, 09:05 PM   #156
ftjandra
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
I pluged the Cable modem back into the router an hour ago. Little green LED's just going ape shit. Looks like everything is dumped now though.

Also just won 256megs 333mhz Kingston DDR and a Asus A7V333 for $67 off e-bay. I got a Duron 1gig sitting on a shelf that can get up to 1300mhz. Those parts should arrive later next week. Hope to have it up and running by next weekend if everything works.
Ahhh...now I see what you were hinting at in the other thread... (...at this point...) . I am going to take down one of my comps tomorrow to install some watercooling gear. Maybe you can catch me then .

--Ferdi
Unread 08-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #157
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by ftjandra
Ahhh...now I see what you were hinting at in the other thread... (...at this point...) . I am going to take down one of my comps tomorrow to install some watercooling gear. Maybe you can catch me then .

--Ferdi
I doubt it. Your output is still double mine. I would need 2-3 more decent crunchers to keep up. Not saying that will not happen, but the $67 I just spent is all I got to spare for a few months. After that I will have more cash to throw around. I been hoping the Duron version of the Bartons will start showing up for sale.
Unread 08-15-2003, 09:53 PM   #158
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

"No one currently threatens JoeProCooling"

hehehe nice

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Unread 08-16-2003, 05:00 PM   #159
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
"No one currently threatens JoeProCooling"

hehehe nice
heh, for me in the potential threats box:
Code:
Username Position Diff Score Diff Daily Gain Overtake Date 
JoeProCooling -3 -2,225,141 18,004 2003-12-18 07:00:00
Unread 08-17-2003, 01:44 PM   #160
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Perhaps I was just lucky Jaydee, but I did download and start running again.

My stats went way up as you can see the same as for everybody else. Perhaps it's due to the way I did it. After reading about how the update was corrected I didn't upload all of it new. I deleated the opened folder in which the running app which was corrupted was located. However I had saved in a differant file the zipfile with the folding program in it. I did a reinstall from that then just downloaded the update portion.

All I know is it has worked well from that time, my stats are higher than they've ever been in the past.
Unread 08-18-2003, 03:54 PM   #161
ftjandra
Cooling Neophyte

Default Update

Well, were doing really good. We've moved up 4 places since the new protein came out, now 22nd. I don't know if the other teams haven't recovered from the bad update yet, but currently only the top 10 teams are producing more than we are. So, if our production holds up we should eventually become 11th!!

--Ferdi
Unread 08-18-2003, 04:43 PM   #162
Joe

Quote:
"No team currently threatens ProCooling"

Wow at current rate we will jump 9 positions by early September

Unread 08-18-2003, 08:17 PM   #163
Boli
Cooling Savant

Thought I'll add my recent update to this thread as well:

As you may or may not know I tried to update to the new version of the cilent to halt the memory leak or something. Well it crashed so much(unknown error... just refused to work) I uninstalled the thing but left the old one still runing (on about 200/day) on the internet server... mainly cause I counldn't be bothered to haul my monitor in and uninstall it.

Forgot about it for about a month -- I was working double shifts --- and came back to find the little machine was purring away at 140,000 per day!!!!

So I have restarted the "new" client on this computer and now it seems to work fine *shrugs*

On the upside of all this mess I have a 1500mhz and a 1825mhz machine running 27/7 on this little folding project with the added bonus that I now know my Overclock on this machine is stable

Next job sneak into other peoples computre and install things ... bwahahahahaha!

In short: I'm back!
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:13 PM   #164
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Looks like we are doing pretty damn good. We must have recovered much faster after the last failed update and then the power outage.

We are sitting in 20th spot. Looks like we lost some steam though. I just got my A7V333 and awaiting the Stick of 333mhz DDR. Once that is here I will have it up and running, but I got this little direct die project going on and one of my faster comps will be used in that project. So it will be off and on. Hopefully the new system not only works (crosses fingers) but will stabilize my output once the other comp goes offline for a while.
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #165
Joe

Yeh my dual 1.7ghz Tbred box is down for folding for a while... no stability for folding it seems.

Unread 08-21-2003, 12:39 PM   #166
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Yeh my dual 1.7ghz Tbred box is down for folding for a while... no stability for folding it seems.
DF is very intense on the CPU. I am finding it to heat up the CPU (ave) better than CPU Burn.
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:52 PM   #167
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
DF is very intense on the CPU. I am finding it to heat up the CPU (ave) better than CPU Burn.
I haven't found that to be the case at all; I'll see if I can get my TBredB soldered up shortly and run a comparison.
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:59 PM   #168
Blackeagle
Thermophile

If the DC program and PC burn both operate @ 100% of the CPU's power, how can there be any significant differance?

And welcome back JD.
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:59 PM   #169
Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by pHaestus
I haven't found that to be the case at all; I'll see if I can get my TBredB soldered up shortly and run a comparison.
Go temp geek! go temp geek!

hehehe Coool

Unread 08-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #170
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Love to see the results. I noticed 1-2C warmer temps with DF as oposed to CPU Burn. Maybe I am using an old version of CPU Burn http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/? Will be running both through the loops in the next week. Might have been a fluke I guess...
Unread 08-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #171
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackeagle
If the DC program and PC burn both operate @ 100% of the CPU's power, how can there be any significant differance?

And welcome back JD.
Thanks. Go to the CPU Burn homepage http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/ and it gives an explaination (at tleast their's) of why it works better.

Last edited by jaydee116; 08-21-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Unread 08-21-2003, 01:44 PM   #172
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Make sure you give CPUBurn the right size cache and then set it to high priority. It executes extremely tight code that keeps CPU really really loaded. You can do the same thing with newer versions of Prime95 by setting it to smaller sized FFT lengths I think (though it isnt as effective). If you think about it DF is accessing the system RAM pretty heavily and also sometimes writing to the HDD. That means at least part of the time these are the bottleneck and keeping CPU from 100% true max load. With CPUBurn there's none of that
Unread 08-21-2003, 02:00 PM   #173
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Make sure you give CPUBurn the right size cache and then set it to high priority. It executes extremely tight code that keeps CPU really really loaded. You can do the same thing with newer versions of Prime95 by setting it to smaller sized FFT lengths I think (though it isnt as effective). If you think about it DF is accessing the system RAM pretty heavily and also sometimes writing to the HDD. That means at least part of the time these are the bottleneck and keeping CPU from 100% true max load. With CPUBurn there's none of that
Ok, I am now pretty sure I was using the wrong version of CPU Burn as the one I was using has only two options. #1 Run in error check mode (something like that), #2 run without error check mode. Nothing else. :shrug:
Unread 08-21-2003, 02:06 PM   #174
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Attached is a pic of the one I used which is downloaded from the links I gave above:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cpuburn.jpg (19.6 KB, 31 views)
Unread 08-21-2003, 02:16 PM   #175
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Welcome back Jaydee.
That one is, indeed, and older version.
The one Phaestus is talking about is a mighty program that just heats a lot more AMD cpus than anithing else.

Heres a pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cpuburn.jpg (14.7 KB, 103 views)