Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 09-10-2003, 11:54 PM   #1
maxim
Cooling Savant

Default made my first #rotor

ok, i got the copper on monday, here is a pic of what i received, im very happy with the quality of the cuts too:

i bought a $90 drill press from sears, 1/2HP. after im done, i will return it back, so i guess the tools will be free. anyway, this is what i managed to do with it. mind you, it is my FIRST time so i really have no clue what i was doing and had to figure stuff out as i went along. the holes were drilled about 5mm deep, leaving a ~1mm bottom thickness. they are spaced out kinda far because i initially wanted to use a diff bit. i wanna make my next attempt with smalled holes and put them closer together. then i cut out the o-ring (6cm dia) with the same cutting wheel i used on the pins. ended up being sligtly bigger then the o-ring, so i had to JB weld it a little to make it stay. in the end that idea worked out pretty well. here is a pic of the bottom:

top i ened up using true 1/2" piping cuz i found those pieces for 17 cents each! tried to solder it with some stuff i bought that came in a tube, but that didnt work out. so instead of getting some real wire solder, i just JB welded those i used KWIK JB on this block, bonds in 4 mins! here is a pic of the top:

here is the overall pic of the WB all done:

fired it up, use a thermistor on the bottom of the chip. old WB, which was this awesome monstrosity in the pic, got me 50C full load with 24C room temp. the new one is 43C full load with 24C room. i havent put in any anti-freze in this one yet like i ran the old one. i got a 2C increase with it, so i expect the same here. so basically it's at least 5C better! im happy with that, it's not even that good yet, i'll deff try to improve it in my next attempt

Last edited by maxim; 09-11-2003 at 06:32 PM.
maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2003, 11:59 PM   #2
Zhentar
Cooling Savant

nice!

Just one problem- the first picture left me with the feeling that you find copper stock sexually attractive.
Zhentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 12:10 AM   #3
maxim
Cooling Savant

i find a small box that weighs 10lb and is full of perfectly cut 2x3 bars of copper very attractive j/k

i love Anna tho, dont get me wrong
Unread 09-11-2003, 12:50 AM   #4
maxim
Cooling Savant

tested flow, about 10 l/min, so 60 l/hr which is 16 gph. this is on my Rio1100 rated at 375gph. i'll test the flow without any load and with the old crappy WB when i take this off next time in a few days. btw, i tested the flow for the whole system, so pump->rad->WB->blender yes, blender, couldnt find anything with numbers on the side quickly
Unread 09-11-2003, 03:44 AM   #5
trit187
Cooling Savant

looks great, especially for first time making,
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't rotor say he got better proformance from 1 inlet 1 outlet, might be somthing to try.. especially with all that copper.... I'm jelous. and that I don't have that magazine, stupid subscription being cancled when I moved..
but anyways it looks great and hope you have fun with all that copper...
trit187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 05:08 AM   #6
JCYC5
Cooling Savant

Where did you order the copper from??

And as for the block, very sweet! I'm looking to making mylsef one of those too!
JCYC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 07:02 AM   #7
0zi_RagnaroK
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
i bought a $90 drill press from sears, 1/3HP. after im done, i will return it back, so i guess the tools will be free
that is pretty damn rude bro.
I can't say i'd be too impressed if a customer bought a drill press off me and then returned it after he'd done with it, would you?

but nice outcome form the press, i'd just think about the supplier and kleep it.
i love my press and it's become way more usefull for me than just making blocks
oh and that's alot of copper :P
Homemade waterblocks
CPU-->NB
Hydor L30
85 Camry heatercore
0zi_RagnaroK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 06:14 PM   #8
maxim
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Where did you order the copper from??
read my older post, i have the info in there.
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...&threadid=7810

Quote:
think about the supplier and kleep it.
yea, i know, i'd really prefer to keep the drill if i could. but right now i cannot afford to spend almost $100 on a press, im a college senior i have, however, been thinking that i might sell 2 of 3 extra blocks after im done with what i need to my friends that wanna try WC themselves. i should then be able to afford to keep the press. of course, only if #Rotor himself doesnt mind me riping off his design to sell a couple of blocks. gonna have to look up on our CS forums for some people who could be interested also. but i do not think there are many here that watercool. i personally only know of one that has a system already and another who i am helping to build one.

and thanx for all the compliments on the work itself. like i said, im very happy with the outcome so far. deffinetly going to try the single inlet/outles version. if anything i will use it on my northbridge since i am planing to have it watercooled. i also have a cool idea for a video card WB approach.
Unread 09-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #9
Izdawiz
Cooling Neophyte

Just a quick question where did you get the copper from?
Izdawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2003, 05:02 PM   #10
maxim
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Izdawiz
Just a quick question where did you get the copper from?
it's a secret and im not telling anyone
Unread 09-13-2003, 05:10 PM   #11
maxim
Cooling Savant

this is what it looks like installed, pretty cute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00091.jpg (59.4 KB, 153 views)
Unread 09-13-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
Izdawiz
Cooling Neophyte

Sorry Buddy. My mistake should have read more carefully
Izdawiz is offline   Reply With Quote