Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-28-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
RazielWard
Cooling Neophyte

Default Radiators

I was thinking of how to make my own radiator. as i don't have money to spend on anything. I was just going to take some copper pipe and make it into a kind of cube radiator. check out attached pic and let me know what you think.(I wish I had 3ds)
RazielWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2003, 08:39 PM   #2
RazielWard
Cooling Neophyte

Forgot to post Theoretical pic with it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif rad.gif (3.4 KB, 251 views)
Unread 09-28-2003, 11:58 PM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

That's a fine arrangement, although a bit voluminous. You might consider rearranging the inlet and outlet, so that the flow is split evenly to the three main branches. That means cutting and arranging (soldering) a bunch of fittings together.

I'm going to make the same recomendation I make to anyone who wants to go that route: start collecting those cans of pop!

You can then cut out some pieces to solder these fins onto your tubes. Use silver solder.

This is the last time I'm making this recomendation! If no one else picks up on it, I'll just demonstrate it myself, when I have time.

To get fancy with it, slip some turbulators inside the copper tubes: the added turbulence will increase the heat dissipation. Example: dump a chain in it (just be aware that you shouldn't mix metals, and that the turbulators don't need to be metallic).

Let us know how it progresses!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2003, 01:35 AM   #4
joemac
Cooling Savant

Man don’t do what I did when playing with radiator design – This turned out to be a piece a crap..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad-rad.jpg (14.3 KB, 209 views)
Unread 09-29-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
RazielWard
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the feedback. I've thought it over for a while, and really refined the design. I'll try to get some pics up when its done.
Unread 09-29-2003, 10:26 AM   #6
joeyd
Cooling Savant

I have an old 3/8ths radaitor its not the best but if u want it i can send it to you .

ati radeon 9700 pro

My Heatware
joeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

you've probably thought of this already, but unless you're getting your copper pipe really cheap you might want to consider the cost of a used heater core, you can pick one up at a local auto recycler/junkyard for ~$5. as long as it doesn't have a leak you're good to go. typically a chevette or similarly sized one'll work nicely. but don't let that stop you from making your own rad if you want to go that route. just thought i'd point that out to you.
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
WeaselBlade
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Radiators

But if you do pick up a used h/c, expect it to be absolutely filthy on the inside. Anyone know how to clean out the inside of a heatercore?

EDIT: I have no idea how I found this thread, but clearly I didn't look at the date... Oops...

Last edited by WeaselBlade; 11-28-2005 at 01:47 PM.
WeaselBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Default Re: Radiators

You can search on the ProForums on how to clean a heatercore. There are many ideas on how to do it. The professionals use an acid and then pressure test it (pin hole leaks can easily develop). Then, there are those who use lysol (or was it pine sol?) and other household cleaners.

For all the time and money you spend on cleanup, it often doesn't seem worth it. But, if the cleaners are free and your time is cheap, go for it. You can save money this route.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote