Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 12-02-2003, 02:27 AM   #26
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Maybe a $500,000 Haas mill and a special made endmill, I am unaware of a endmill 1mm that will go 7mm deep into copper. Problem with these hard to make blocks is they will cost you $500+ to get made.

I have no experience with CNC machines since I have no access to one...unfortunately...but that's why these posts are there, for you guys who have experience to give remarks.

How about 1mm endmill (I suppose they are available) and three 2.3mm passes?

Another thing...you've mentioned that you purchased 1/16" endmills...1.5mm...I'll check whether this could be machined with that one...2-3 passes.
tex707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 02:36 AM   #27
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Zymrgy
ya think??? There is a world of difference between simulation and actual machining. I can easily simulate a 1mm cutter plunging 50mm deep...and things will look fine. There might be some 1mm cutters that will go as deep as what you want, but actually using them would be a nightmare....even on a CNC with a 20,000 RPM spindle. one good rule of thumb is if your endmill length is greater than 4X the diameter then you better have alot of time and tools.

$500,000 for a Haas??? Not even a new 5 axis off the showroom floor would be that much...One machine that I would love to have in my garage is a Haas mini-mill...full 3 axis with 10 station toolchanger for $30,000
I was referring to geometry only...the question was whether the clearance between the hexagonal pins was enough to allow milling...theoretically...that's how I'd understood it anyway.

I am aware that this would have been a nightmare, that's why I've described this as a "dream" design. However, I have no experience with CNC machines and I am in a process of learning CAD/CAM completely on my own...so I thank you for your remarks.

How about milling this in 2-3 passes (levels)?

I suppose that the other design with holes is machinable far easier, right?
Unread 12-02-2003, 02:44 AM   #28
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by JFettig
Tex, one big problem I see with your designs is the barb placement, I would like to see you put some 1/8" wall tubing over those. Just put them right down the center far apart. pretty simple.

I have a mini-mill..... too bad its not the haas mini-mill

Jon
Well, I usually use far thinner wall tubing........however, it is possible to use a hose with 1/8" wall....nearly possible.....please check out the attachment.

I can easily move the outlet barb a few mm away from the inlet one...that should be more than sufficient....how about that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross.jpg (30.6 KB, 188 views)
Unread 12-02-2003, 02:47 AM   #29
tex707
Cooling Savant

OK, I've checked it out and here's the result: the hex shaped pins can't be machined with 1/16" endmill even in theory...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (27.7 KB, 184 views)
Unread 12-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #30
JFettig
Cooling Savant

I do not understand that attachment at all, cant figure out what it is.

Tex, the MAX depth of cut with the majority of end mills is .5*D D being Diameter of the EM.
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2003, 01:09 AM   #31
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by JFettig
I do not understand that attachment at all, cant figure out what it is.

Tex, the MAX depth of cut with the majority of end mills is .5*D D being Diameter of the EM.
It is a screenshot of a milling simulation...I've replaced 1mm endmill with a 1/16" endmil to check out whether the clearance between the hexagonal pins is sufficient to allow use of a larger endmill...since simulation has not finished properly (it is obvious that all the pins are not machined properly) one would have to use 1mm endmill....

Of course, this could be done by pure measuring the clearance on a 3D model, but it seemed easier just to change a tool in a simulation.

The fact that max depth cut is .5D is very disappointing.......means that those pins are to be machined in 10 levels at least...making those pins is definitely a bad idea.
Unread 12-03-2003, 05:56 PM   #32
JFettig
Cooling Savant

well actually machining with small end mills suck. I spent like 6hrs with a 1/16" end mill on a waterblock. 2"long channels, 16 of them, and .08" deep. talkin about fun! I think I did .02" per pass@2500rpm. About 3IPM. I will have 9,000rpm soon, I am hoping to take a lot more.

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #33
tex707
Cooling Savant

Here's one more simple CAD...yet, maybe, one more hard-to-be-machined WBs. I hope that the main idea is obvious from the screenshots, but just in case...: holes are milled alternately under certain angle (45 degrees in this case). Please let me know what you guys think about performance....I would also like to know the opinion on machining complexity...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wb_15.jpg (51.4 KB, 109 views)
Unread 12-06-2003, 07:21 PM   #34
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I don't understand the design at all tex? :shrug: Why are the cups at an angle?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 08:36 PM   #35
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Because it looks cool jaydee, especially with the purdy renderer.

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2003, 12:07 AM   #36
the_chad
Cooling Neophyte

hey tex did you get my pm?
Unread 12-07-2003, 02:39 AM   #37
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
I don't understand the design at all tex? :shrug: Why are the cups at an angle?
The idea (probably a bad one) was to increase a local turbulence of the vertically incoming coolant stream as the flow diverts...hopefully at two opposing directions. The attachment is supposed to show the way the holes are to be machined, in case a previous one was not clear enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross.jpg (44.1 KB, 86 views)
Unread 12-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #38
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by the_chad
hey tex did you get my pm?
Yes, I did...but it looks like you're not getting my answer...