Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 12-12-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
[DE]FreD_S
Cooling Neophyte

Dimentions ... I need em !

Hi !

A fellow bit-techer gave me a very nice pic of the mounting hole measurements for Socket A / 423 / 478. He had it from here, so I was wondering, as I've completed my CPU block design, if anyone here had such a pic or the measurements for ATI Radeon 9xxx cards ? I googled around but can't seem to find anything proper.

Cheers

Fred
[DE]FreD_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2003, 10:50 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Did you check the sticky in this forum?

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...&threadid=8412
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
[DE]FreD_S
Cooling Neophyte

Yes. Only CPU info there, that's why I asked Couldn't find anything on the ATI site either

Cheers

Fred
Unread 12-12-2003, 10:56 AM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Ummm, no Radeon specs there Ben. Try searching the www.overclockers.com forums.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here's one that someone here posted:
(Let me see what else I can dig up)
Attached Images
File Type: gif r97-9800_shim_specs.gif (5.9 KB, 138 views)
Unread 12-12-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
[DE]FreD_S
Cooling Neophyte

Why can't all manufacturers have as easy to find documentations as AMD ? I mean, there's nothing in those specs that could be a company secret right ? Thanks for pic !!!

Cheers

Fred
Unread 12-12-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

No prob.

I also updated the sticky (it now needs a new title!)
Unread 12-12-2003, 11:39 AM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by [DE]FreD_S
Why can't all manufacturers have as easy to find documentations as AMD ? I mean, there's nothing in those specs that could be a company secret right ? Thanks for pic !!!

Cheers

Fred
Well I don't think there is to much info on it simply because most people actually HAVE the card they are making the block for. Why spend money making a water block and not saving that money to buy the actual card first? The card will work great as is untill you can afford to buy water block stuff.

Also ATI and NVIDIA don't make all of their own card. A few manufactures don't use the same mounting hole pattern as other so it is really best to have the card in hand first to varify the hole pattern and also the other parts that might get in the way on ther card. I had to make a small relief cut in my GPU block for my leadtek GF440 MX because a electrical part was in the way. I wouldn't have been able to tell that from a pic. Hell I had the card in hand and didn't notice it untill I went to mount the block. Good thing I had the mill right there. That same electrical part is not in the same place on the ASUS or other brand cards.

Also be sceptical of that drawing posted. Would be good to varify with the newest version of the card or the card your making the block for.
Unread 12-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #9
[DE]FreD_S
Cooling Neophyte

That's why I think reference designs made by ATI, Nvidia and whatever else company should be treated like a norm, so that there aren't any differences in the mounting hole measurements and electronic parts layout. I mean alot of companies make mobos and the socket mounting holes and sockets are all the same aren't they ?

It's annoying if you want to make a series of blocks that are certified to fit Radeon 9xxx cards. Ah wtf ... I'm gonna use that pic ... don't have much of a choise do I ? And thanks for it !

Cheers

Fred
Unread 12-12-2003, 12:56 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by [DE]FreD_S

It's annoying if you want to make a series of blocks that are certified to fit Radeon 9xxx cards. Ah wtf ... I'm gonna use that pic ... don't have much of a choise do I ? And thanks for it !

You need to contact ATI on that one and see if they will send you a reference board. They seem to be more strict with their specs and I belive the holes are all the same on the newer Radeons. Not sure on the electrical layout for other manufactures for ATI though. That is the problem and why alot of manufactuers also manufacture their own HS for that particular card. There is a reason you void your warranty if you remove the stock HS aswell.

Nvidia is more lax with their manufactuers. They pretty much let them do what they want although the holes are usually in the same spot if the ARE holes. Some vid cards don't even have holes.

Also no for the motherboard north bridges. I just went through that mess myself. The ASUS boards use a different hole pattern than the rest of the mobo manufacturing world for some reason. But the holes for the CPU are all universal IF the board has holes.

It is just a big mess. Another one of the reasons I gave up on it.
Unread 12-12-2003, 02:13 PM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Don't assume that these dimensions are exact. If you don't have the card yet, it'd be best to wait for it, IMO.
Unread 12-13-2003, 05:19 AM   #12
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

I created that image from my 9700 pro card and it's the same for the 9800 pro I have (both connect 3D). As bigben2k says it would be advisable to check your card, to make sure it doesn't differ, but the specs are as accurate as I could be, using digital vernier callipers.

I'm also going to produce full card dimensions diagrams for the cards I get and have a section on my site for it, but fully measuring and detailing a card is a time consuming process.