Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:19 PM   #1
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

Default Neat res idea

nothing original, but hopefully it'll give you guys some ideas. i needed a res, and i found a nice one at Lowes. i also needed to mount it somewhere, and seeing as how i had 2 spare drive bays, this would be in ideal spot. i found that some brass hdds mounts (the ones you use to mount a hdd into a 5" drive bay) worked perfectly, since a hdd is 4 inches wide. see here:

the box and hdd mounts. the box is solid; no holes in it to seal. it comes with 4 self-tapping screws and a rubber gasket. i've only played around with it for awhile, but so far the gasket makes a good seal.

i found that the box's mounting ears fit perfectly into the hdd mounts openings; no modding required.

fits like a glove!

Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 05-18-2002 at 02:19 AM.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 07:58 PM   #2
Brad
Thermophile

damn that looks cool, it fits well, needs no modding, etc.

Can you confirm that it's possible to put a cd drive in the bay just above and just below it?

Great work man

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:21 PM   #3
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

of course it fits but just to convince you:

Plextor 16-10-40 on the bottom; Toshiba 16-48 on top. you cant see it really, but there is a 1mm gap between the top of the burner, and the bottom of the hdd bracket.

oh, a had the box upside down w/ water in it for 30 minutes or so, and it had like a drop of water on one edge. nothing to worry about (since mine will always be rightside-up, and i dont forsee it leaking at all if you ever have to set the case on its side for a moment), but you'ld want to seal it with plumbers goop or something if you mount this vertically.

Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 05-18-2002 at 02:19 AM.
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:44 PM   #4
Brad
Thermophile

who stole the faceplates?

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

LOL!! i took em off becuase im going to sand & paint em. its a big 'ol watercooling / casemod project. i'll post pics if i ever get done
Unread 04-27-2002, 09:02 PM   #6
jbe
Cooling Neophyte

is there a tutorial on how to put hose barbs on one of those things somewhere? i looked in the procooling.com articles but couldn't find anything, anyone know where there is one?
jbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 09:12 PM   #7
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

drill a proper-sized hole, tap it, put some kind of sealant on the barb and screw barb in. seal again on the outside and inside with plumbers goop or some other type of sealant (just to make sure; you dont want a leaky res ).

which brings up a Q of my own, if you use brass barbs, do you need to tap the plastic? or could you just screw em in the holes?
Unread 04-27-2002, 09:55 PM   #8
Marco
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude
drill a proper-sized hole, tap it, put some kind of sealant on the barb and screw barb in. seal again on the outside and inside with plumbers goop or some other type of sealant (just to make sure; you dont want a leaky res ).

which brings up a Q of my own, if you use brass barbs, do you need to tap the plastic? or could you just screw em in the holes?
You'll find that they will go in alot easier and smoother (not to mention straighter!) if you tap first. I'm not sure if all barbs feature this, but the ones I use taper slightly out at the base so screwing them in will ensure a tight fit. Always use teflon tape!
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2003, 09:54 PM   #9
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

just a lil update (WOW IM ALIVE!!), you dont need to tap anything. i just drilled a 1/2" hole, coated the threads on the brass hose barbs with soapy water, and screwed them in. after they are in, take them out and clean everything off. wrap some teflon tape around the threads and screw 'em back in. a little plumbers goob on the inside and all was fine. no leaks at all
Unread 04-25-2003, 11:19 PM   #10
nOv1c3
Crazy Stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by jbe
is there a tutorial on how to put hose barbs on one of those things somewhere? i looked in the procooling.com articles but couldn't find anything, anyone know where there is one?

I bet you can find a few bulkhead fitting at the same store that would work great they come with a ruber gasket on either side to seal it

PS: oops didnt see your post above

Glad you got it figured out and all works well
nOv1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 10:05 AM   #11
montyt
Cooling Neophyte

Hi

i built a cheep res from a lunchbox.
$17
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/...2/H2O_No2.html

i dont have rul on me to tell specific dimensions.
but it takes 3 * 5 1/2 slots.
montyt is offline   Reply With Quote