Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-19-2002, 11:48 AM   #1
Technonut
Cooling Neophyte

Default Just Received 2 Phaze II (Paul Vodrazka) WBs

I could not help but to purchase 2 of Paul Vodrazka's Phaze II waterblocks after seeing them for my dual AXP rig. Link

Paul was even kind enough to include 2 P4 adapters, (just in case I wander to the dark side ) The blocks are indeed the work of a true craftsman.

I also received an EPoX 8K5A2+ today, so I think that I will install one of the Phaze II's in my test box to see what it will do with a factory unlocked MP 2100+. I already removed the Spir@l block and replaced it with a Phaze II. I immediately noticed more flow into my reservoir compared to the Spir@l, which surprises me. I am running a shrouded heater core and 500GPH Danner with 3/8" Tygon.

Since the EPoX reads the temp from the core, I will not bother with installing a thermal probe. I will get busy now and post back later with some temps. If this block performs as well as it looks and flows......

Last edited by Technonut; 08-19-2002 at 05:26 PM.
Technonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2002, 02:08 PM   #2
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Oh, yes, temps please please please! I've ordered one of these babies myself and I can't wait...
Unread 08-19-2002, 04:07 PM   #3
Limeygreg
Cooling Neophyte

They sure are nice looking blocks.

Hey nexxo, what part of Brum you in? I used to live in Tile Hill Village near Coventry, born in Hinkley. Learned to ice skate at the Solihull ice rink.
Limeygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2002, 04:09 PM   #4
Technonut
Cooling Neophyte

Well... I am on the test rig now. The room temp is 79 F, and with the Vcore at 1.90/1950MHz the temp is showing at 46.5 C. This is right after running demo loops of 3DMark2001SE. I turned my AC off so it would get warm in my office. I will turn it back on and let the room cool down, run some more demo loops, and post the temps. So far I am impressed with both the Phaze II and EPoX..

EDIT: For deep narrow passages, this block really flows. I have never seen my reservoir flow like a vortex with the Maze 2, Spir@l, or High Flow Gemini.

EDIT 2: I am only using a single 120mm Panaflo fan (case side cover is off)....Very quiet.

Last edited by Technonut; 08-19-2002 at 05:25 PM.
Unread 08-19-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Very, very nice... Can't wait to receive mine.

Limey, I live in Brum. Born in Holland, though.

Last edited by nexxo; 03-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.
nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 10:53 AM   #6
Technonut
Cooling Neophyte

The block is still performing well. Right now with the room temp at 76 F, the processor is at 43.5 C. Not bad for a 1.90 Vcore/1950 MHz. Probably would do better with a higher CFM fan, but I like it quiet.

I realize that this testing is "home-grown", but does show that the block performs as well as it looks. I hope to see Paul craft some other versions. I purchased 2 of these blocks that will be going into my project box, which is an acrylic case , matching bottom cooling enclosure, a built in 1.5 Gal. reservoir, blue BIX, and 1140 GPH Quiet One pump. The blocks will look nice installed on the MSI duallie board.
Unread 08-20-2002, 01:57 PM   #7
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Technonut: that case is going to be a beauty. Post pics as soon as you can!

I'm talking to Paul frequently at moment, and have seen some of his designs for chipset heatsinks (and if you thought there is not much you can do with one of those, think again). I also know he has plans for chipset and graphic card waterblocks. He is currently working on another idea, with some humble input from myself (more like, I have vague suggestions, he actually turns it into original and working designs), which I do not want to get into without his permission... but it's going to make people go "woot!?!"

The guy's a genius. And I'm not easily impressed.

EDIT: as for my system: I have a black Lian-Li PC12 (with black drive and DVD), chrome (that's right: chrome) BIX, aluminium 120mm Panaflo fan, ordered one of Paul's blocks, and have an EL-lighted badge. I'm looking at a white backlit LCD. Watch this space...

Last edited by nexxo; 08-20-2002 at 02:00 PM.
nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #8
Technonut
Cooling Neophyte

nexxo,

I will have to get in touch with Paul regarding a block for the AMD Northbridge on my MSI. Your rig sounds like a very nice one also. I plan on posting pics when I am finished with mine.

Just for an update, I installed an unlocked 1700+ and just lightly dabbed some AS3 on the core with a piece of Saran wrap on my finger. I cranked the Vcore to 2.0, and am running 200FSB/ 1800MHz The kicker is that the room temp is 77 F, and the processor is at 43 C. Paul made a damn nice block... I am sure that you will be happy with yours.
Unread 08-20-2002, 02:39 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

200 FSB? That's what I'm shooting for... I'll have to check out that new board!

What memory did you use?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 02:57 PM   #10
Technonut
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
200 FSB? That's what I'm shooting for... I'll have to check out that new board! What memory did you use?
I am using Corsair XMS 3200 Rev. 2.1 (Winbond chips) It is some sweet RAM. I have the timings at CAS2 2-6-2-2T. The only thing that I do not like about the board is the lack of active cooling on the NB. The round HS is cool looking, but there is not much actual contact area on the NB. There was a small piece of thermal pad there that I removed and replaced with AS3. IMO it really needs a HSF with full contact, or a nice waterblock.

EDIT: It has been said that the KT333 NB does not really need active cooling.... NOT! I have had an AT7 and now this EPoX, and when the FSB is cranked up, it gets very hot.

Last edited by Technonut; 08-20-2002 at 03:05 PM.
Unread 08-20-2002, 03:31 PM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Thanks for the tip Technonut, it's very much appreciated, and very helpful.

I'd go with either an HSF and epoxy (mix with some AS3, so it's not permanent) or a waterblock, not sure yet.

Were you able to hit 200FSB before cooling the NB?

I wonder if I could do the same with an Asus... I like the A7V333.
Unread 08-21-2002, 02:19 PM   #12
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I agree on the KT333 NB. My MSI board just has a heat sink and it gets hotter than hell when pushed. The only problem is the bastids at MSI put a row of capacitors right next to the NB, requiring creative application of any non-stock cooler. I'm tempted to pull the caps and put them on a sisterboard (mounted for convenience in a PCI slot), but I'm worried that the resistance that the wiring and connectors will add will fuxor my board.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2002, 02:40 PM   #13
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Whats a AS3 ?
Unread 08-21-2002, 02:46 PM   #14
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

s##t, just figured it out...Arctic silver III right?
Unread 08-21-2002, 03:05 PM   #15
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yeah, Arctic Silver 3.

Technonut: were you able to hit 200 FSB prior to cooling the NB bridge?
Unread 08-23-2002, 03:31 PM   #16
Technonut
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Technonut: were you able to hit 200 FSB prior to cooling the NB bridge?
Sorry Ben, I have been out of town. Yes, before I applied AS3, the EPoX did 200 stable with the thermal pad. I am not going push any further even with the AS3 until I install a waterblock or fan.
Unread 10-09-2002, 01:55 PM   #17
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Technonut, just to say I also received my two Phaze II blocks, to put in my dual Athlon setup (possibly a red MSI K7D Master-L... yum!). Are those blocks cool or what?
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:29 PM   #18
Technonut
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Technonut, just to say I also received my two Phaze II blocks, to put in my dual Athlon setup (possibly a red MSI K7D Master-L... yum!). Are those blocks cool or what?
Yes, I have enjoyed using (and looking) at them very much. I have been testing so many rigs lately, I still have not decided which mobo that I want to install in my acrylic case.

I did find however that the 8K5A2+ only reads from the core as a factory set temperature shutdown. The readings shown above are from the socket probe. That still did not stop the Phaze2 from performing very well at 1.95V 100% stable.

I actually used the other Phaze2 & P4 adapter on another rig I am testing. I have a P4 1.8A @ 3.0 GHz in an ABIT IT7 MAX. This IS reading from the core. The under load temp at 1.79V shows as 50.5C, which is not bad considering the IT7 MAX is known to read 7-11 degrees C higher than the actual temperature.

Last edited by Technonut; 10-09-2002 at 06:39 PM.