Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 02-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
teclis22
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap Server Experience - 2nd Round

Hi all !

A while ago i bought 2 snap server 2200. I couldnt get either to work and asked here for help wich i recieved. I was able to reset the 2 units to factory defaults and install OS 4.0.860 without any error message, as well as the new Java VM and Help files.

Unit 1 i was able to access afterwards without any trouble, and i can connect to the drive i maped almost instantly. Its currently running as FTP server. More to that later.

Unit 2 , while without trouble at the beginning, has always taken its sweet time when i tried to connected to the maped drive. And after a few days it seemingly crashed. I tred to shut it down but to no avail, it didnt react anymore. i had no chance but to pull the power plug. I reinserted and treid to switch the unit on again, to no avail. It has been dead ever since.
Has anyone an idea what that could be ? THe dc power supply is ok, i switched it out with the unit from the other server, same result while the other unit is working fine with the dc adapter.
Is that a known problem ? What part of the server could be dead. I opened it up but cant visually see any defects, no melted or blackent parts or anything like that. Advice is greatly apreciated.

Well now to unit 1. I am having problems reaching it as ftp server sometimes. I called Linksys the manufracturer of my router and they confirmed the settings in the router are correct. The errors of the ftp access are sporadic. Sometimes i can access it, then again i cant, i am unable to say why that is the case. the Snap server is set to allow annonymus FTP access and ftp server function is enabled.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Best regards

tec

P.S: I read here on the forum that many people put in bigger drives into their snap servers. Is all that is nessesary for that a bigger hard disk ? I always thought you need to install special Software onto the disk for them to be recognized by the snap server? Or can i just buy any 2 200GB hard disks and install them ?
teclis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Snap Server Experience - 2nd Round

The easiest way to upgrade these 2*00 is to remove the secondary drive, put in a new drive, let them be initialised and made snap able by the snap server

Then try movign that drive to primary, and see if it will boot (you may want to put the old drive in secondary), it should do, then repeat for the 2nd drive

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
blue68f100
Thermophile

Teclis22,

As for booting the snap. You have to push and hold the power button till it lights up. Mine is a little stubborn, I need to wiggle the button while holding it down. After replacing the battery it seam to start easier. I do not know the age of your units. They have a CR2032? on the motherboard, same as most pc's. It should only be backing up cmos. I have seen on some hardware, that they use this to initated the start sequence.

You should look at the log and see if any error are be reported. Make sure your cooling fan is running and not over heating the unit, that can cause sluggish responce. If you don't have the unit set to send email alerts to you, do so. It helps to know when they are having problems. Particularly since most are under desk or hiddin from paain view.

Like Poogle_UK said:
As for upgrading to large drives, no problem at all with the 2200's. The OS is stored on the hd. The 2200 is suppose to be able to boot off either drive. If you have Raid 1 setup, just replace the drives, one at a time. Recomend doing to bottom first. You will have to issue a debug cmd to repiar the Orphin/broken mirror. The snap will prepare/format the drives, but not auto repiar the broken mirror. I can send this procedure to you.

I have a tech bulitin on ftp setup, I will email it to you, it may help.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
teclis22
Cooling Neophyte

Hi there !

Thanks for the run down on the drive upgrade. Once i make sure everything is working from the settings i will give that a try.

I took the dead server apart and while i did not write down the numbers on it, the battery seems to be a bit larger then what you find on most pc mainboards. Its a good advice though to see if i can get a replacement for that. Defeintly worth to buy a battery for a few € before i give up the server for a 250 €.

Going to give that a try tomorrow.

best regards

tec
Unread 02-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Yeah david, they are CR3032

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
teclis22
Cooling Neophyte

Hi guys !

Just switched batteries.. unfortunatly.. no result. Tried wriggling the power button, holding it standing on left leg.. then on right leg.. tried hand too but somehow i wasnt able to hit the power button with my toes hehe.

Since i had the case open to switch batteries i took a picture of the MB.

lets see if this works..

link deleted

Guess i try what Poog suggested to me and call the guys with my best bitching and whining voice. Failing that, try to find another 2200 on ebay.... slim chances though. None for sale the last days. None i can afford anyway. 1000USD is a bit much for me.

regards

tec

Last edited by teclis22; 01-25-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Unread 02-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Yeah david, they are CR3032
Look at his picture, it show a CR2032

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
jontz
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
If you have Raid 1 setup, just replace the drives, one at a time. Recomend doing to bottom first. You will have to issue a debug cmd to repiar the Orphin/broken mirror. The snap will prepare/format the drives, but not auto repiar the broken mirror. I can send this procedure to you.

I have a tech bulitin on ftp setup, I will email it to you, it may help.
I don't have any drive problems right now, but I probably will sometime in the future. Could you send the mirror repair procedure to djontz@comcast.net? Thanks!
jontz is offline   Reply With Quote