Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #51
PhoenixLover1
Cooling Neophyte

Re: SNAP 4000 Power Supplies

I still have only the System light blinking... hoping it is performing a very looooong diagnostic before allowing external connections to the box. :-/ I know, pretty optimistic.

Maybe there is something special about the front switch hookup purple/black/brown wires that are critical for mboard to operate. I will check the mod PSU photos from Phoenix and hope I can figure something out.

Last edited by PhoenixLover1; 06-09-2010 at 02:43 AM.
PhoenixLover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #52
PhoenixLover1
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: SNAP 4000 Power Supplies

I let it run for 24 hrs, but only blinked the System light. Probably a couple wires that tell the mboard some kind of instruction. Ah well.
Unread 06-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #53
bitor
Cooling Savant

Hello, you need to check to see if you are getting the proper power to your mobo. Use a volt meter to make sure you are getting power. There was somebody here that successful bypassed the small power control switch board, but you will have to search the site to find it.
Do you have the directions for installing a new PSU for the Snap4000? Or are u trying to figure it out on your own?

Is the green wire from your new ATX PSU grounded to the rail ?
Take the green wire that goes to pin14 on the main ATX 20 pin connector and attach to the ground rail of your new power supply. This will make your new ATX PSU always on which is needed.

Snap4000 old OEM PSU are on always. Even if you shut them down the PSU is on. The only way to turn the OEM PSU off is to unplug the power cord. That's why the new replacement PSU has to have the green wire grounded on the rail to make it always on.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: With anything there are risk involved. Trying anything or doing anything that somebody like myself might subject or write about is at your own risk and I take no responsibility for any damage that may have been caused by it.
So, be careful and know that there are risk involved that only you are responsible.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #54
PhoenixLover1
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks, I will try a volt meter to be sure.

The ATX PSU side of things is working fine so far. I have no reason to expect it isn't getting power to the mboard but it is quite reasonable to check.

By having it bypass the small power control switch board, I also decided to power the hard drives directly from the ATX PSU. It could be an indirect issue related to that, no power to network port on the Snap, or due to the few wires that feed from the SNAP power switch to the mboard still (perhaps requires a similar purple-to-brown grounding to rail trick there, but more nervous about trying that).

I have scoured the Internet tubes but I don't find any specific instructions about doing this, so pretty much trying to figure this out on my own. It seems like a replacement PSU would have the same problem... but it might be they've solved a couple of [proprietary] challenges with the SNAP that aren't obvious in the description/pix.
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #55
PhoenixLover1
Cooling Neophyte

Re: SNAP 4000 Power Supplies

I double checked that the voltage is getting to the mboard fine (5v on the red and 12 on the yellow).

I still also have two wires going to the mboard from the small power control switch board. I guess these are my only hope for an repairable scenario. A dark purple wire apparently outputs +4v, while the dark gray one seems to cycle 1.5v (to blink a [disconnected] Link/Drive activity LED?... i dunno).
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #56
jefrank
Cooling Neophyte

We're you ever able to get your Snap 4000 back up and running. My PSU fried and I'm looking for assistance in getting up long enough to get the data back.
jefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #57
PhoenixLover1
Cooling Neophyte

UPDATE: Though NorthwestTechnical was initially backordered due to apparent power outage on the east coast... They checked if I wanted to cancel, but quickly fabricated a power supply for me and sent it nicely packaged.

The instructions were foolproof and it really was straightforward installation. As I mentioned earlier, I initially just wanted to pull the data off. However, the build quality on the replacement PS was so good, that my trusty NFS 1.2TB Snap 4000 remains in my arsenal.

I am still not sure if Phoenix32 somehow told them how to produce this unit or what... but somebody did it right.

During the install I did discover that there were indeed some particulars about that purple wire that probably would have eventually yielded some results. But again.. for the price it was certainly worth having it handled for me without risking wrecking the MBoard --- especially now that it is enclosed and working like a charm.

Sorry I don't have the do-it-yourself specs as a result, but I am very satisfied with the decision and the purchase.