Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 10-09-2003, 05:29 AM   #1
maverick
Cooling Neophyte

Going Peltier - Thoughts on my setup?

Ok, I just got my water setup going decently and OF COURSE I'm not satisfied now! Overclocked speeds are decent, but i want more.

At full load my temps are reaching 64C. While that may seem damn high, the Bartons are notorious for outputting a lot of heat (mine is putting out about 140W right now at this overclocked speed/voltage)

The pelt i want to use is from DDen the specs are below:

Maximum operating temp: 125 C
Imax = 24 Amps
Qmax = 226.1 Watts
Vmax = 15.2 Volts
Delta Tmax = >67 (C)
Size = 50mm X 50mm X 3.10mm

I have the copper to make a cold plate and i am ordering the Dow Sealant, dielectric grease, and the neoprene pads.

My questions are as follows:

1. If i am putting out 140 W right now, and getting temps in the 60s, will a 226W pelt just put off so much more heat to my water block that it wouldn't be able to cool the pelt efficiently?

2. If i can find a PSU that can output 24 Amps, will that be sufficient? Ebay has some for approx. 20-40 bucks which is much better than a meanwell's price of over 100 bucks.
ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42021
ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44949
above psu ratings: http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/b4/f2/d2_1.JPG
ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3670
above psu ratings: http://pcpartusa.com/2003/powersupply/550CWT/ps3.jpg
OR
ex: http://store.yahoo.com/melcorstore/mes150watpow1.html

3. Do i need to run the pelt at the VMax setting (15.2) or will a 12V input from the 12V rail on the psu be enough?

4. If i my psu can't handle 24 Amps and only outputs 12V will things still be alright? Most psu's i see are about 22Amps.

5. Should I consider anything else in this setup? I could prob. stand to do some more reading and I definitely will do more, but i wanted to guage my knowledge thus far and see if this looks like a "do-able" setup.

Ok, that is about all i can think of right now...if you don't mind, just send me some simple feedback/pointers/cautions, etc...

Thanks guys/gals.

Peace,

J

Ambient: 28C
Load: 48C
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 06:20 AM   #2
]JR[
Cooling Neophyte

If your barton is hitting 64C on water you havent got it going decently! Whats your water temperature like?

Sticking a tec in there will only exasperate the problem imo and the temps will only get higher.

]JR[
]JR[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

I agree.

Get your watercooling system working well before even thinking about using a TEC with it.

Of course it's possible that your CPU temp sensor is extremely inaccurate and your temperatures are much better than indicated. But in any case, you need to figure out what's going on with your present setup.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
joemac
Cooling Savant

You do not want to run the T.E.C at the full rated Voltage. Run it at 75% – 85%, which means 12, V would be fine. You really need to know what your delta T is (The difference in temperature between the hot side and cold side). That’s why the compunurse duals are nice. With one you can get a general idea of temperature in two areas 1) your hot side of the block 2) your cold side of the block. With this information you could then make adjustments for a maximum Delta T.
Unread 10-10-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
maverick
Cooling Neophyte

Default ok...update

After reading this post's replies i figured i should do something else to get my temps down...so i just turned down my multiplier to 10.0 and kept the fsb at 222. I then relapped the block (better this time, but could prob. go even a lil better.

This allowed me to go to 1.8 volts (1.79 true volts - board undervolts)

Now i am getting a full load temp of 48.2C. I think that is a lil better...and i figured that i was just running my cpu to about it's max (it might have a LITTLE more to give than 2.3) I've also seen that the new Ceramique (sp?) gives about 3 degrees better temps than what i am using right now, so that could drop me to only 17 above ambient...which is even a lil better. Maxim, (if you are reading this) let me use yours until i get some of my own

Condsidering that my air temps in my case are about 28C that translates to a C/W of 0.2346. IS this a more reasonable option to go pelt now? Or will running the pelt just require me to jump back up to 2.1 V in order to get my chip back to 2.3 or higher? I'm hoping that by running this pelt at about 75% that i can use less Core Volts to achieve 2.3 ghz than what i have to right now.

I hope that makes sense, lol

Thanks guys.

-J

Ambient: 28C
Load: 48C
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote