Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 10-13-2002, 01:40 AM   #26
aenigma
Immature Title Goes Here

Or how about just straight R290?
Dont be a wuss, do you want good temps, or not?It is up to you....
There are alot of propane based refrigerants....

[H]opelessly
 Altered
 Results
 Destroy
 Overall
 Credibility
 Period
aenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 11:06 AM   #27
SonixOS
Cooling Savant

iirc the thing about propane is its really light. So you're supposed to mix it with something else to make it heavier.
Abit KR7A-133
MSI Geforce3 Ti200 VT128
TV-IN and TV-OUT
Sound Blaster Audigy
Linksys LNE100 V2.0
Toshiba DVD Drive 40x/16x
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60gig
Watercooled
http://www.sonixnet.tk
=======================
SonixOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 03:46 PM   #28
aenigma
Immature Title Goes Here

It does have a low molecular weight, but I use it straight and it works fine.Just a little less performance than R22....

[H]opelessly
 Altered
 Results
 Destroy
 Overall
 Credibility
 Period
aenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:42 AM   #29
surlyjoe
Cooling Neophyte

the R134a aint tha expensive, you can get it at any aouto supply and it fits the gauges...so I use it. I might ry the propane inrichment though, sounds interesting!
surlyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #30
redleader
Thermophile

Sorry to bump this ancient thread, but the concern over propane seems badly overstated to me. I built a propane flamethrower a while ago and while it certianly burns, it does NOT burn like some people seem to think. In fact my device was ineffective, I badly overestimated how well propane burns.

Basically even under pressure an explosion of a modest amount of propane is pretty harmless. I had a 1.5gal tank of propane that I didn't check was empty when i put the torch to it. It blasted up in my face, and while it was unpleasant, it was not very harmful; I wasn't hurt and learned to ALWAYS double check fuel lines are empty first.

This was with a very large amount of propane compared to what most people here would likely be using. Its pretty hard for me to imagine a serious accident happening with propane. Its just not that easy to burn in the amounts we're talking amount, and if it did escape it would dissipate harmlessly into the air at 10x the amounts we're interested in.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #31
guandi
Cooling Savant

Where i work is two doors down from a car body shop, and i would like to tell you a story about a guy called James who used to work there.

James did welding on chassis frames, heavy panels and would make you a damn fine workbench for £80 in just 2 hours. he used a propane cutting torch (not as effective as acetelyne, but far cheaper), and a propane welding torch for many years, and was very proffecient and most of all *safe* with them.

He was a bit of a prankster, and used to love filling latex gloves with propane, and setting fire to them, small fireball, everyone laughs. one day James wasnt there and one of his coworkers wanted to show a new employee the trick with the latex glove and propane. what he did however was use the gas torch how it had been set up, with a oxy-propane mix... and when he ignited the glove, the oxygen accelerated the explosion so much the fireball was nearly 20ft wide and ended up giving four people 1st degree burns.

When James was told about the accident he made a lockable cupboard to keep the propane and oxygen bottles in and he was the only person with a key, but when he went on holiday for 2 weeks last year he was told to leave them the key in case anyone had to do any welding, he did and he regretted it. about half way through his holiday he recieved a phone call that there had been an explosion in the body shop and that even tho no-one was killed, 2 people who were working late next door were injured from flying glass and one would be deaf for life.

It turned out that the same guy that did the bad glove trick had used the torch and bottles just a day after James left, and did not turn off the valves on the bottles, and gradually the cupboard filled with gas. a few days later the gas concentration in the cupboard was so high, that when the ringer for the office phone went off, a spark arced between it and the cupboard (about 4cm) and it blew up.

the moral of this story is, that propane is *very* dangerouse in some places, and not so in others. think about having a computer case, essentually a metal box filled with an explosive gas, and then a spark from the computer or the compressor or fan kicking in on cyclic systems.... bang.
2x BFG6800Ultra
Audigy2 ZS + Gigaworks S750
2x120gb/4x80gb
lots of water/copper/pumpy goodness.
guandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 01:05 AM   #32
redleader
Thermophile

Err oxygen is an oxidizer. Even aluminum will explode if powdered and mixed with oxygen. However no one has a problem with aluminum heatsinks inside a case.

Fact is we're not talking about oxygen, we're talking about propane.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 03:18 AM   #33
N8
Cooling Neophyte

The compressor in my chilled water setup sprung a leak in one of the lines. It was R12. I took it into the refrigeration repair shop (they are the ones that found the leak,) and since R12 is not readily availabe anymore (and expensive), they put in R414B. The tech said that it works better than R12 anyway. Here is a quick link to R414B, it is a blend of R-22, R-124, R142b, and R-600a.

http://www.refrigerants.com/hcfc-r414b.htm
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #34
guandi
Cooling Savant

redleader... uhh, you breath oxygen right? (at least i hope you do) just where do you get it from? bottled from the local 7-11? personally i get mine from the air, its free in most places, and often comes with a handy blue-lip-be-gone stick in case you are caught without oxygen for a few hours and need to look good for the ladies.

on a more seriouse note, i forgot to make it clear that only the propane bottle leaked, not the oxygen. the oxygen in the air acted as the catalyst, sorry
2x BFG6800Ultra
Audigy2 ZS + Gigaworks S750
2x120gb/4x80gb
lots of water/copper/pumpy goodness.
guandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #35
naS
Cooling Neophyte

how deadly is that r22 vapor ?? u guys scared me
naS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #36
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Already covered. NM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:00 PM   #37
Carlz0r
Cooling Neophyte

It's off topic but how hard is it to build an R290 (Propane) based cooling system? I am 14 but I want to build a Phase Change cooler for the computer I will be building soon. I will be getting an old freezer and using the parts from it and may have to fabricate my own parts. Will it be too hard or not. Cost is also an issue.
Carlz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #38
DoGMaN
Cooling Neophyte

Using R290 is probably not your best bet, unless you have some HVAC supervision. It is fairly dangerous in the wrong hands. Your best best is to try and build the unit your self, and have an HVAC qualified tech check and fill it for you.
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:26 PM   #39
Carlz0r
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoGMaN
Using R290 is probably not your best bet, unless you have some HVAC supervision. It is fairly dangerous in the wrong hands. Your best best is to try and build the unit your self, and have an HVAC qualified tech check and fill it for you.
Thanks. How expensive do you think it would be to build the system from an old freezer and if I use an old freezer can I just leave the refrigerant in there?
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:27 PM   #40
Sandman001
Cooling Neophyte

I'd use some R404A or R507.
Sandman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #41
Carlz0r
Cooling Neophyte

How expensive is R404A and where can I get it?
Unread 05-20-2004, 01:39 AM   #42
kronchev
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by guandi
redleader... uhh, you breath oxygen right? (at least i hope you do) just where do you get it from? bottled from the local 7-11? personally i get mine from the air, its free in most places, and often comes with a handy blue-lip-be-gone stick in case you are caught without oxygen for a few hours and need to look good for the ladies.

on a more seriouse note, i forgot to make it clear that only the propane bottle leaked, not the oxygen. the oxygen in the air acted as the catalyst, sorry
i must be a nitpicker here and say that it wasnt a catalyst since it was used in the reaction

back on topic, I havent even attempted a phase change system but I have a quick question: when I do, can I just swap out refrigerants and not really worry about the systems design? Or do certain R's only work in certain systems?
Unread 05-20-2004, 02:31 AM   #43
j813
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
That's what Punisher said, then he heat stressed his system with a torch.

We never saw him again
I don't know if I'm going to laugh or what.
Is this really true?
j813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2004, 05:10 AM   #44
Groth
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronchev
can I just swap out refrigerants and not really worry about the systems design? Or do certain R's only work in certain systems?
You have to learn your R's. The compressor has to be able to produce enough pressure for the gas in question, the capillary tube needs to be have a length/ diameter appropriate for your gas's viscosity and pressure drop. The system has to be charged with an amount specific to your system.

Without that specific knowledge, :shrug: The only workable substitution I know of is R134 for R22, which involves a slight performance hit.
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2004, 06:11 AM   #45
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

What caracteristics should the refrigerants have to be good?
Thermal capacity?
Weight per gallon?

Others?

Whats the best refrigerant? wich ones use the cascade systems?

And finally, Why are cascade systems dangerous?
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #46
kronchev
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groth
You have to learn your R's. The compressor has to be able to produce enough pressure for the gas in question, the capillary tube needs to be have a length/ diameter appropriate for your gas's viscosity and pressure drop. The system has to be charged with an amount specific to your system.

Without that specific knowledge, :shrug: The only workable substitution I know of is R134 for R22, which involves a slight performance hit.
well thats why im asking long before I get it

someones offering me and my friend a compact AC unit meant for cooling a 50'x100' room that has a "silent" mode on it, apparantly the cooling element ices over even at that setting I was thinking of putting the cold element inside the case, keeping the main part external, as kind of an intro to phase change. no modding of the unit mind you. also i dont think itd have any condensation since the entire inside of the case will be cold, and condensation is a cold object in a warm atmosphere...so maybe on the outside of the case
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #47
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

My chiller's R12
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:12 AM   #48
DoGMaN
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
My chiller's R12
Mine too. The two direct die units I have are R134a and R502.
Unread 05-20-2004, 01:45 PM   #49
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default Bad Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader
Err oxygen is an oxidizer. Even aluminum will explode if powdered and mixed with oxygen. However no one has a problem with aluminum heatsinks inside a case.

Fact is we're not talking about oxygen, we're talking about propane.

Hey! I've got a great idea...take propane as your coolant, and increase the density by mixing in some oxygen...propane's density problem solved! It would be cool too, the oxygen would sublime into super-chilled little bubbles in the propane, so get some transparent tubing and show it off to yer friends!
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 10:02 AM   #50
Marci
Cooling Savant

er... no. Any oxygen within a phasechange rig at all no matter how slight the amount can result in catastrophic results.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote