Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 05-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
arken420
Cooling Neophyte

Default Where's the FEAR?

I hate to be like this, but I just can't seem to figure out why local and national news would blow something as stupid as this Iraq Prison crap so out of proportion. It's my opinion, but I'm sure that I'm not alone. How can the Congress sit in meetings for days and days discussing what we should do to these poor enlisted bastards over there, instead of evacuating and launching ICBMs till that place glowed like Las Vegas!!! Where is the fear we imparted on the world? The Japanesse feared us, even though they went and bombed us anyways. We just need to flex our muscles a bit and dispense with all this diplomancy and rain down death and fire on Iraq, till there isn't anything left. Then put up a Super Walmart with about 200,000 miles of parking lots. I could care less about all the innocent people that would be killed, where are they when our troops and citizens get killed? If you let it happen, you're just as much to blame. Who'll miss Iraq anyways? I won't. Not in a million years. It hasn't helped out gasoline prices anyways, so who cares? Bush can get up there and apoligize to the World about the ensuing nuclear fallout, but I'd rather deal with that then listen to Congress try and describe the horror that went on in that prison for one more day. How come we can't see all of the pictures when we can see one of our own get his head cut off? Give me a break. Just bomb Iraq till it glows!

Thanks, I feel better.
arken420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Glad you got that out of your system.

I agree, it's been blown out of proportion, but that's the media for you. God forbid they'd give us some good news...

But making Iraq glow isn't the solution.

In military terms, there are civilians (the population) then there are "legitimate targets", which is pretty much anything that is of military interest. War has evolved to seperate the two, as much as possible. WW2 bombing raids were notoriously innacurate, and that was just 50+ years ago.

The idea is that no matter who you are, you cannot kill civilians, period. We're supposed to be past this kind of nonsense.

What Iraq has revealed is that some of the population is still fanatic, and don't abide by this kind of civilized concept of war: anybody's and everything is a target.

So we have to expand our "civilized" concept of war to include a "cultural adjustment". Iraq is Iraq, and we can't impose a form of government unilateraly: we have to work with them to figure out which type of government works best for them, and all the steps and transitions to get there.

Iraq could be an economic force in the middle east, if it gets its act together.

My $0.02.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote