Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 05-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #1
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

Default laptop display mod

i think that the small lcd display mods floating around various sites are interesting, and i would like to do something similar w/ my computer, but being your average computer user i'm kinda hesitant at dropping the $100-130 on a 5" lcd screen since i've already got a perfectly good monitor (plus trying to convince the wife its something i need for the computer ;-) ). i do however have a couple old Compaq Armada 1100 laptops lying around (long story, one is in use, one still works but is incredibly outdated, & the third is for parts). What i would like to do is use one of those screens for a mod instead of the 5" lcd screen (since i've already got one & they're larger), possibly built into the side of my pc case instead of a window or something, or even modded as an external monitor. What i'm looking for is if anyone can point me in the direction of an article or some useful tech specs about this sort of thing, haven't had much luck so far. thanks.
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

You are better off buying the 5" lcd than trying to interface a laptop screen in both effort and $$. Check out the case and cooling forum of the Hardforums; they have a FAQ for lcds that will give you all the info on hardware you need and wiring and such. NOT cheap or easy.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

ok, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :-)
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:09 PM   #4
Marci
Cooling Savant

Quote:
$100-130 on a 5" lcd screen
OUCH!... they cost about £35-40 here in the UK off EBay... usually Sharp ones... we just mount em in a drive bay or 4 and run em off tv-out... wouldn't call it difficult...

The ones on ebay come ready to roll... all u have to do is attach a power lead to run it off a molex (the screens are out of the back of seats in planes I think) as they're designed for 12v anyways, and hook up a Composite video cable. The only annoyance is that their always NTSC, whereas in the UK most of our cards are preset for PAL output. A quick flash of the VGA Bios usually sorts that out tho...

So, in total, 4 wires to connect up. Plug into TV Out socket. Doneskis (just find somewhere to mount it)
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #5
Marci
Cooling Savant

knew I had pix somewhere...

Just never got round to making a bezel (cut the relevant areas out of the existing blanking plates then stick em together to make one big one)
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

For %80, you could get a 10-inch LCD screen with PCI video controller. The monitor draws power from the card itself:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_mon_unisys105lcd.html
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:24 PM   #7
Marci
Cooling Savant

Yeah I've seen those, but problem is naff all support for anything 3D, and you HAVE to drive them with that PCI Card...

Again, picked one up off EBay for £20 (GBP)