Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 05-26-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

Default Why can't i ever leave anything alone?

Greetings everyone. was just considering yesterday that nothing i ever buy/create is good enough. everything is in a constant state of tweaking. as an example, i have a wonderful water cooling setup, but then i got paranoid that my temps were still too high, so i made improvements. then more improvements. etc etc. i'm happier now, but the new TDX block comes out, and i'm thinking, gee, that might drop my temps a few more degrees. and this attitude doesn't just apply to computers. as a musician, most of my gear has evloved constantly, trying to find the best combination of tone for me. as an engineer (well, grad student now), you should see me in the machine shop! i get pissed when some thing i make isn't perfect. and don't even get me started about my car... hell, sometimes things i have are working fine, but i just have to tinker with them to make them better (and i've broken a few toys in the process, believe me) in any case, i was just wondering if all "technical" people have this tendency. or am i just crazy?

jason
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
cougem
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_The_Angry
Greetings everyone. was just considering yesterday that nothing i ever buy/create is good enough. everything is in a constant state of tweaking. as an example, i have a wonderful water cooling setup, but then i got paranoid that my temps were still too high, so i made improvements. then more improvements. etc etc. i'm happier now, but the new TDX block comes out, and i'm thinking, gee, that might drop my temps a few more degrees. and this attitude doesn't just apply to computers. as a musician, most of my gear has evloved constantly, trying to find the best combination of tone for me. as an engineer (well, grad student now), you should see me in the machine shop! i get pissed when some thing i make isn't perfect. and don't even get me started about my car... hell, sometimes things i have are working fine, but i just have to tinker with them to make them better (and i've broken a few toys in the process, believe me) in any case, i was just wondering if all "technical" people have this tendency. or am i just crazy?

jason
It makes you an excellent worker and a great emplyoee, but the question is will it ever make YOU happy? I'm the same to be honest, though maybe not to quite so much of an extent.

I just hope it isn't annoying to poepe who love you if you can't accept anything you do.....hell, I guess if it becomes too bad you could just drown yourself in a lake.
cougem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I have similar issues. I try to perfect everything I do when it simply doesn't need to be. I design and build water blocks (spent $2000+ on them so far), but yet my main 2 rigs are air cooled. Only my test bench mobo sees the water blocks and all it runs anymore is CPUBURN. I think the search for something BETTER is the whole point of life. If you don't have that drive then you probably will not be to successful in life.

I have seen people loose the drive to do better and it is a bad thing.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
mikoto
Cooling Neophyte

I agree with Jaydee with one caveat:
Such drive, unfocused, will likely just scatter your energy. It can cause problems. That is what priorities are for. They keep your energy focused on productive things.
mikoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
cougem
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
I think the search for something BETTER is the whole point of life. If you don't have that drive then you probably will not be to successful in life.
Though you'll never be satisfied....
cougem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

i tend to believe that i am happiest with a "project" as well. when i was looking to get into water cooling, i spent hours on research. when it came time to install, i looked forward to it during work every day. and as for happiness, i guess i prefer to have something to work on. when it reaches a point where i can no longer afford to spend the money or time, i just have to put it down till i can. that's why i admire the guys that are into car restoration. they have day jobs, but every night, they head into the garage to do a little more sanding, tweaking, wrenching.... etc. till one day, perfection. (or the personal judgement thereof.) also, i take great pride in the work i do. if my name is on it, it better be good. somehow, i think that idea got lost in this country (USA) a while ago. rather sad actually.
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougem
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
I think the search for something BETTER is the whole point of life. If you don't have that drive then you probably will not be to successful in life.
Though you'll never be satisfied....
if everyone was satisfied with what they had..
then we would never have anything better...
I agree with jaydee.
I myself am never satisfied with my PC...
always want it to go faster...
now i want it quieter...
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

I also endlessly tweak things, including my car. What I've learned to do is to treat such things as a project, which includes a cost analysis: is it worth it for me to spend that much time to do it myself? Planning the mod is one thing, planning the time it takes to do it is another.

Once in a while though, one of my projects slips past the cost, and gets filed under "hey, it's a hobby!". It still beats whatever else one would do otherwise with their free time.

Now if I could just convince my wife that turning the garage into a machine/work shop/office is actually a good idea... :shrug: (I found a great plan in some woodworking magazine for such a building )
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #9
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
Now if I could just convince my wife that turning the garage into a machine/work shop/office is actually a good idea... :shrug: (I found a great plan in some woodworking magazine for such a building )

just tell her it's for home improvements. maybe promise a gazebo. hehe.

(albeit a steel gazebo)
Unread 05-26-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

With small children I can justify ANY hobby purchase/time commitment as long as it's coupled with additional time for her to do her hobbies. Want to convert garage to shop? Maybe dedicating Saturdays or Sundays to being 100% responsible for kids so she can go do whatever will make it happen
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #11
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

there is another aspect to the 'drive to excel', how to instill this motivation in children

obsessive/compulsive by example ?
type A by example ?

what to do with a youth who just 'gets by' ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #12
kronchev
Cooling Savant

yeh, im exactly like that. ive taken my w/c system apart and put it together probabily 10 times so far. remounted the block thrice. more to come in fact, now that im getting a dual board so ill have to put two blocks...recut my hose....reposition the pump...i sure hope that board fits in my case
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

in response to the above post about what to do with kids that just "get by"....
i think that these days, we reward children too much. everyone is afraid of hurting someones feelings. my opinion, if you didn't place in the top three, try harder next time. it's not that the child has failed, it's just that some kids try harder, or have more help from their parents. to encourage you children to do their best is the key i think. rewarding kids too much gives them a false sense of accomplishment. and that can be a dangerous thing when they get older and start to compete with truly hard working people. i guess it's a matter of judging the child's ability and seeing how to motivate them. with me, it was fear. my mother was a school teacher and she insisted that i get good grades. and really, up until my senior year of high school, i had never earned less than a "B" in classes. college was a bit different, but..... anyways, i guess you could take the darwinian approach and say, "treat kids equally and let society sort them out." hard to say really.

jason
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:30 PM   #14
krazy
Cooling Savant

I laughed when I read the first post in this thread. I fit the bill perfectly. A friend of mine is known for telling me things like "Why can't you ever just leave stuff alone? You always have to go and f*ck with stuff". He has a large closet full of spare parts (computer and other electronics) of all varieties. Whenever I'm at his house and get bored, I always end up sifting through the magical closet of "stuff" and making something or taking something apart. Good times...
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:39 PM   #15
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

My parents have fond christmas memories of me receiving presents, then quickly taking them apart
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #16
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

'It's not about the destination, it's about the journey'...LOL, exactly in my case...
No matter how new and improved the 'insert name' is, always must tinker with it to see...or to know...or to see what I need to know to make it better if possible...

One thing thou, I'm almost always satisfied with the result (because of the fun doin' it) but also always eager to make it just a little bit better, even just for the looks and same performance....

Damn, another club to join eh? LOL

Cheers!
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:03 AM   #17
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
My parents have fond christmas memories of me receiving presents, then quickly taking them apart
lol, yeah, i think the best and worst thing for me as a child was my father letting me borrow a phillips head screwdriver. changed my life forever. hehe.