Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 02-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
darren_21
Cooling Neophyte

Default Machinist: Will work for idea!

To put it simply, my friend and I here went as far as designing and machining our very own water blocks and were at the point of installing them until I found this website and this forum that damned both our designs!! I don't mean that in a bad way of course because I see now our designs are so innefficent that we'd just be wasting our time and it IS a learning CURVE! :shrug:

I also see that some of you are putting quite the chunk of change into the machining of these blocks. Well how's this for a deal? If some people want to get together on some ideas/designs/tests/etc, my friend and I would gladly help in the machining (manual and full cnc capability) in exchange for being able to keep a block for our own computers at home.
darren_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
UberBlue
Cooling Neophyte

Do you realise what you just offered? You're gonna have people beating down your door because "everybody" has a design.

I commend you and hope something really cool (no pun intended) comes out of this.

EDIT: What's the smallest hole you can mill in copper?
UberBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
darren_21
Cooling Neophyte

Well at least now everyone will like me!!! lol

As for the hole, I would say the smallest we can go is 0.020" as we just recently did a job in our cnc department with rocker arms that required such a hole.

If you want to go real extreme, we are currently drilling 0.006" holes in a prototype part for one of our customers.
Unread 02-05-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
killernoodle
Thermophile

Not in copper though...

As for the job, how much will it cost to do such a block?
Unread 02-05-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
darren_21
Cooling Neophyte

Oh you have doubts?? How about a machine with a 12000RPM spindle?? You don't think I can drill 0.020" then? I'll be honest about the 0.006" that it would be extremely difficult but I don't think that small is very feasable. As for the copper block cost, what size is the block? I currently have a cutoff about 2.5" wide, by about 6" long and 1" thick. As for buying more I can get a good price. For the rest of the work, I wouldn't charge anything. Remember, I'm in this for the ideas and just want to cool my computer too! I would only ask that you pay for any shipping costs to send anything back and forth.
Unread 02-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

...ok then, I present to you: "Radius" (see link in my sig).

Go through the thread, and PM or e-mail me (this should take a couple of days ).
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
killernoodle
Thermophile

Lol! It took me a couple of hours to get through it all, and the funny thing is that it is still being posted on.

Radius should be the ideal waterblock (as of now of course), but would almost be impossible to cut in quantity.

Send me one too
Unread 02-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #8
vapour
Cooling Neophyte

Default Milling the "Radius" waterblock

I am darren_21's co-worker and I have acquired some 1mm endmills for $10CAD and I am able the get some 1/32"@$11.95CAD and some 3/64"@$9.00CAD. They are all solid carbide cutters. bigben2k if you could send me sketches and dimensions I can get the engineers started on drawing and testing the design and get it programmed and ready to run.

Thanks
vapour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

this is almost to good to be true...
I have a plan...(in my head only) for a HD waterblock that would cool 6 Hardrives.
I'm curently taking an autocad course so that i can put my idea on the PC.
but the course is going so slow. I'm looking at 8 weeks before they start part 2 of the course where they go into 3D.
i'm just wondering if you will have any time in 3 months when i actualy know enough to draw the blocks in cad. or will u be 2 busy making blocks for the other 1000 people that C this thread.
Unread 02-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
Althornin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Lol! It took me a couple of hours to get through it all, and the funny thing is that it is still being posted on.

Radius should be the ideal waterblock (as of now of course), but would almost be impossible to cut in quantity.

Send me one too
why ideal?
Althornin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
darren_21
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHacker
i'm just wondering if you will have any time in 3 months when i actualy know enough to draw the blocks in cad. or will u be 2 busy making blocks for the other 1000 people that C this thread.

I guess we'll just have too see MadHacker... That would be the most preffered method of receiving dimensions for a waterblock, as a CAD drawing. We can than use that drawing to program with and check back to for any missing dimensions, etc.
Unread 02-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #12
aBo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I have a plan...(in my head only) for a HD waterblock that would cool 6 Hardrives.
IMO there is no idea of making WB for 6 HDD's as most people use only 1 or 2, how about making the block a little bit more universal and making 3 double-HDD blocks? More people would benefit from this and it wouldn't restrict your future rigs and cases.

The increased amount of fittings shouldn't be a bottleneck in the flow if they're designed and implemented as they should (non-restrictive).
aBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #13
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour
I am darren_21's co-worker and I have acquired some 1mm endmills for $10CAD and I am able the get some 1/32"@$11.95CAD and some 3/64"@$9.00CAD. They are all solid carbide cutters. bigben2k if you could send me sketches and dimensions I can get the engineers started on drawing and testing the design and get it programmed and ready to run.

Thanks
kewl

PM me your e-mail address: I can send you a SolidWorks file that has all the details (Thanks to Utabintarbo!).

edit: never mind, got your e-mail!

Last edited by bigben2k; 02-07-2004 at 11:17 AM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 09:08 AM   #14
Grizzy
Cooling Neophyte

That is the basic layout, the base is about 3/4" thick with the inside of the block being 1/2" deep

The top is whatever material is available (preferrably clear, but doesnt really matter

The holes on the corners would line up with AMD mounting holes

Those black squares are little copper squares that are the full height of the block to get some serious turbulance in the block (could use any shape, I don't really care, whatever is easiest for you to make)

Any other questions, email me dct243@cinci.rr.com
Grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 09:48 AM   #15
darren_21
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzy

That is the basic layout, the base is about 3/4" thick with the inside of the block being 1/2" deep

The top is whatever material is available (preferrably clear, but doesnt really matter

The holes on the corners would line up with AMD mounting holes

Those black squares are little copper squares that are the full height of the block to get some serious turbulance in the block (could use any shape, I don't really care, whatever is easiest for you to make)
Don't you think the baseplate would be a little thick at 1/4"?? That's 6.35mm!!! Most people seem to keep it down to a range of at least 4 or less. And what would be the spacing in between each of those black squares??
Unread 02-08-2004, 09:52 AM   #16
Grizzy
Cooling Neophyte

Oh, well Ive never designed a block before, so I was just guessing... ok, lets say the base is only 3mm thick, and the little blocks would be maybe 2-3mm each? That pic isnt the final deisgn, just something to go on
Grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #17
vapour
Cooling Neophyte

Default drawings

here are some drawings i made up quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radius.jpg (44.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg radius2.jpg (42.2 KB, 75 views)
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:59 AM   #18
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour
here are some drawings i made up quickly.
I like the design... but was just wondering if have the cross right in the center would help.
I could be wrong.... (please don't flame me) but wouldn't it be better having the center point flat? get the water to as close as posible to the core of the CPU,
my $0.02 worth.
Unread 02-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #19
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBo
IMO there is no idea of making WB for 6 HDD's as most people use only 1 or 2, how about making the block a little bit more universal and making 3 double-HDD blocks? More people would benefit from this and it wouldn't restrict your future rigs and cases.

The increased amount of fittings shouldn't be a bottleneck in the flow if they're designed and implemented as they should (non-restrictive).
Sounds like a good idea. I'll take a look at BigBen2k HD waterblock and try to expand it from there.
Unread 02-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #20
vapour
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I like the design... but was just wondering if have the cross right in the center would help.
I could be wrong.... (please don't flame me) but wouldn't it be better having the center point flat? get the water to as close as posible to the core of the CPU,
my $0.02 worth.
maybe we'll make one both ways and see which one works better
Unread 02-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #21
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

EDIT: sorry, not reading the thread properly

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #22
Stooo
Cooling Neophyte

Uh can I have some work also? Send some Ideas my way check out www.hydrojet.com for some pro machinists
Stooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #23
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

1 Question:

Can you mill 1 mm holes 20 mm deep? On copper?
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #24
darren_21
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanicoo
1 Question:

Can you mill 1 mm holes 20 mm deep? On copper?
Yes........
Unread 02-10-2004, 05:10 AM   #25
vapour
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooo
Uh can I have some work also? Send some Ideas my way check out www.hydrojet.com for some pro machinists
do you work at Hydrojet? It says on their website precision cut to +/-.003", omg thats horrible. We do some jobs where we machine to microns, wouldn't say Hydrojet is that professional then.

And we're not machinists, we're Tool & Die Makers.

Last edited by vapour; 02-10-2004 at 05:51 AM.