Go Back   Pro/Forums > The Pro/Market > Reseller/Vendor Ratings
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reseller/Vendor Ratings You want to give your impressions of a company or a vendor you did business with, Heres a place to do it!

Unread 01-11-2001, 09:48 AM   #1
Icetech
Cooling Neophyte

Default Accubyte [put explicative here] - buyer beware

I recently thought I was getting a good deal from a very friendly company called Accubyte. You can reach them at Accubyte.com. I just purchased an AMD TB 1.1 GHz box from them, buying a "complete" system. Up until the time I actually got the computer I was very happy and had recommended them on a number of forums (not on here) to other buyers. I am backtracking to rescind all of those recommendations.

Here are the complaints I had:
1) The hsf combo they sent stock apparently is rated for an 850 MHz socket A chip not a 1.1GHz.
2) They didn't use thermal paste on the chip.
3) I purchased an Abit KT7-R board and received one each floppy, ata, ide cables. I swear those boards come with 2 ide and 2 ata cables.
4) I ordered an ata100 drive. They charged me 145 bucks for an ata100 (WD 20GB) drive. They shipped me an ata66 drive.
5) I received no Abit motherboard CDROM (driver/utility) disk.
6) I called to verify shipping after 2 days burn-in and was told it was going out that day. It went out the next day.

So I called them up yesterday and asked for a salesperson. I explained the situation and here is a form of the dialogue:

I told him I did not receive the driver CD for my mobo...He sais "You didn't get a cdrom drive?"... I said I got the cdrom DRIVE but not the cd containing the drivers for the mobo.. He sais "you didn't get a motherboard?"...... I said "the cd that comes from Abit with their mobo that contains the driver software such as utilities, etc did not come with my computer"...he sais. "Oh, we'll ship you one." I then said I got one ata cable and one IDE cable... My Intel 440FX mobo had one cable per connection with it.. I said "I think I was supposed to get 2 ide cables, 1 floppy cable and 2 ata cables.. I got one of each..." He sais "Nope. You got what you paid for."... I told him that I ordered and paid for an ata100 drive. He asked the model number of the drive I received. I told him and he sais "that's an ata66 drive." I said yes it was but I paid for an ata100. He sais "You got what was entered into the system." I said I realized that but the charge (145 bucks) was for an ata100 drive. He sais "You got what was on the packing list." So I say "THANKS FOR SHIPPING MY CDROM, now I won't have to download the drivers myself" and then slammed the phone down..

Now from the cdrom misunderstanding, if the guy didn't speak english (was chinese or korean or something) I would be more understanding. The guy wasn't foreign he was just not paying much attention to me I guess because I didn't start the conversation off with "Here, take more of my money and rip me off again."

Lesson Learned: Don't buy from them. Be very careful what companies you do buy from.

I located them through a link off of Pricewatch in case anyone is wondering. Perhaps in many of the above issues I did get exactly what is standard for 'net based companies. Regardless, I'm an unhappy customer and they seemed to not care one bit that I was displeased. Someone rips me off I broadcast it all over the internet. If more of us broadcast this information only the good companies would stay in business.

Icetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2001, 03:38 PM   #2
Chas
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah. Accubyte has problems.

They're not Chinese. They're Indian.

They're also scam artists.....

I live about 20 minutes away from their offices. So I can go pick my stuff up, and don't need shipping. Unfortunately they don't like that. They'd rather ship to me, and if I DO show up, they'll charge me a "holding fee". Suspiciously this holding fee is identical to the shipping cost.

For future reference, before you buy from any vendor you see on a place like pricewatch (or anywhere else for that matter), hit <A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com">Reseller Ratings</A> and check them out first.

------------------
--
Amazing! How did you
manage to get both your
feet into your mouth with
your head shoved that far
up your rectum?
(Note: This isn't aimed
at anyone on the board.)
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2001, 07:41 PM   #3
Squid
Cooling Neophyte

Always puchase with a credit card,if you have a problem dispute the charge.I use my Discover card for all my online purchases,whenever I dispute a charge they don't pay the vendor until I give my approval.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2001, 07:20 AM   #4
Icetech
Cooling Neophyte

Wise advice.. Thank you for your reply.

Icetech is offline   Reply With Quote