Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
LopeDogg
Cooling Neophyte

Default Pump failure paranoia

Im usually too scared to leave my pc running when i go out.
Ive got MBM set to shut down my pc within 2 seconds if my CPU temp goes 5 degrees above the highest ive ever seen it, (63/68C celcius)

I havent actually done a proper test of disconnecting the power to my pump and waiting for cpu temp to climb and see what happens to my system.
The pump is connected via a relay, so its a bit of a mission, ill get around to it one of these days.

Im hoping that my pc would shut down before it crashes... :/

CPU is a XP1800+ BTW, and the waterblock holds very little water in it, so hopefully the temp would rise quick enough for the shut down to execute before anything else is damaged, but slow enough to keep the CPU working without flow.

Anyone want to share some experiences with this?
LopeDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopeDogg
Im usually too scared to leave my pc running when i go out.
Ive got MBM set to shut down my pc within 2 seconds if my CPU temp goes 5 degrees above the highest ive ever seen it, (63/68C celcius)

I havent actually done a proper test of disconnecting the power to my pump and waiting for cpu temp to climb and see what happens to my system.
The pump is connected via a relay, so its a bit of a mission, ill get around to it one of these days.

Im hoping that my pc would shut down before it crashes... :/

CPU is a XP1800+ BTW, and the waterblock holds very little water in it, so hopefully the temp would rise quick enough for the shut down to execute before anything else is damaged, but slow enough to keep the CPU working without flow.

Anyone want to share some experiences with this?
1) Flow Switch or Flow meter...
2) RPM monitring on Pump...
3) presure sensor of some type?
4) redunacy? 2 pumps?

I myself have an RPM monitor on my pump...
as well as 2 pumps Just in case...
Unread 06-27-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
samcat
Cooling Neophyte

Was a concern for me too, so I went with a well known manufacturer with a proven track record. Eheim. Aquarium bods swear by them, with years of failure free usage.

MBM is also set to shutdown if the cpu ever reaches 50oC (max load temp I have seen on a very hot day is 45oC), I also run a T-Balancer which is totally independant of the pc (onboard chips etc) which is monitoring water temp, cpu temp (probe right next to core) and the radiator fans.. It has a pass through connection for the power button, so can shut everything down if certain thresholds are passed (water temp/cpu temp/fan failure etc).

I am now happy enough to just walk away and leave it running for days on end. Only problem is if it leaks, but I am confident that it wont (hasnt for over 18 months, and I always check it if I have been in the case for whatever reason)

Cheers,
SAm C
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

The response is slow enough that I don't sweat leaving my DDC/G4 system on 24/7. Here's what happens when I turn off the pump under Prime95:

Unread 06-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
LopeDogg
Cooling Neophyte

yeah, ill have to do something soon.
ive been noting how cheap UPSes are these days... was tempted to buy one, but i dont really have a need, the power goes off like once every 2 years or less.
But tonight my sister plugged in her hairdryer, and did something retarded (cos when i tried it it was fine) and killed the power.

Only problem is... UPS probably wont run my AC pump :/
LopeDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
TaTs
Cooling Neophyte

Hi Lope,
Why not? I have an APC UPS and it holds my AC pump fine.
The only thing you need to check is if the UPS generates a senoid wave. The cheaper ones will not provide it, and it could damage the pump. We had this discussion in a forum here in Brazil, and someone asked the pump manufaturer and that was their response.
So just look for a good UPS, that you should be fine.

_______
TaTs
TaTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

I'm doing the same, I actually have an APC rackmount 3000VA UPS that runs all my stuff in my home office... 2 PCs (the one in my sig and an XP MCE/file server). No problems. Sine wave output is where it's at, though. manufacturer's specs should include the output type when running off of the battery.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote