Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 04-26-2002, 06:03 PM   #1
Adam
Cooling Neophyte

Default Computer Show

Has anybody been to one of these Super Computer sales before.... I would like to know if it's worth my time to drive 2 hours to check it out.....http://www.supercomputersale.com/
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 07:31 PM   #2
ECUPirate
Hottest Stank of them All

Adam, I think this should sum it up nicely...

Quote:
The Super Computer Sale is comprised of 30 to 80 local and national computer dealers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers. They will be selling up to 10 Million Dollars of the brands you trust like, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, IBM and many more. The selection is unheard of and the prices are up to 80% off.
...the key words being
Quote:
brands you trust like, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, IBM

need I say more?

OK, I will... I've never been to one of these shows.... Maybe you can pick up spare parts for cheap, I dunno.

my pimpin' rig: ...previously poorly cooled...
486DX-2 66mhz @ 75mhz, 4Mb ram, shared, 256Mb hard drive
Onboard VGA, watercooled, of course
16-color monitor, labtec speakers, 28kbs USRobotics modem
Windows XP (think about it)
Maze 3, DDen GF3 block, Eheim 1250, econoline van HC, 1/2" hose w/ 5/8" fittings Comair 172mm fan
ECUPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 07:42 PM   #3
Adam
Cooling Neophyte

i realize this, however i would like to find some little piddly shit....you know...all that shit you can seem to find till you don't need it!!
also...i can read.......thanks though.....
Unread 04-26-2002, 07:43 PM   #4
bkeating
Cooling Neophyte

I've been to a few of these shows. there alright but nothing to write home about. I did however, find a pII compaq with scsi, onboard vid, nic, sound... for 10 bucks. made for a good router. anyways, for the door price, it's best to get there the first day right at opening or else you'll miss out on the 'big' deals they advertise about.

hope that helps.
ben

uptime: 35 days and counting!
bkeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 07:45 PM   #5
Adam
Cooling Neophyte

What i really want to know is if i might be able to find a case ??? Cant anyone tell me.....oh well ...so i waste 2 hours of my life......won't be the first 2 hours i've ever wasted!!!
Unread 04-26-2002, 08:05 PM   #6
Brad
Thermophile

computer shows normally have tons of cases, but be careful with the psu's they bundle with the case

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
gogo
Cooling Savant

You lucky, lucky bastards

You have this wonderful thing called a computer show and you snub it. Turn your noses at it. Complain about the entrance fees. well where I'm at we don't have computer shows. We don't heve enough computer stores to fill a one room schoolhouse and a honey bucket. We a happy just to have a CompUSA, bless their hearts. Most of the time it's still cheaper to order online with the 2 day shipping that we are limited to. Most of those companies don't even realize Alaska is part of the U.S., and they try to charge us International shipping. To top it off we have to drive in two feet of snow in the winter up hill both ways.(really do, my house is off a one way street)

Hey its eight dollars to wonder around with a notepad an maybe get some ideas and cheap parts. If you've got nothing better to do it sounds like a good idea to me. Besides, you can always pick on vendors if you get bored.
Unread 04-27-2002, 07:24 PM   #8
Brad
Thermophile

I'm in NZ, we have like one a year.....

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:17 PM   #9
ECUPirate
Hottest Stank of them All

I've never seen one... I've never even seen a CompUSA or other big name computer shop... We are getting a Best Buy, but I graduate in two weeks.

my pimpin' rig: ...previously poorly cooled...
486DX-2 66mhz @ 75mhz, 4Mb ram, shared, 256Mb hard drive
Onboard VGA, watercooled, of course
16-color monitor, labtec speakers, 28kbs USRobotics modem
Windows XP (think about it)
Maze 3, DDen GF3 block, Eheim 1250, econoline van HC, 1/2" hose w/ 5/8" fittings Comair 172mm fan
ECUPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #10
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Here is a quick idea of what you will need when you go to those shows, and what to do and what not to do:

1. Rubber gloves, since most of the geeks there are ... umm the most icky kind.

2. you will need an Asian translator since it seems all these folks just got off the boat for the show.

3. Dont talk about warranty.. cause there aint none, infact the place you bought it from prolly doesnt exist after the show closes.

4. Ask for EXACT batches of CPU's if you are there looking for them, if you dont they will sell you some re-marked POS chip

5. Keep all reciepts and make sure you get some rock solid info about the company if you are buying something you cant test before you leave with it.

6. if you are buying software like Windows XP Pro for 30$, its prolly a pirate or stolen copy

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:56 PM   #11
gogo
Cooling Savant

I would like to add some info and/or ask futher explaination to Joe's advice as I me be going to Detroit in Sept and want to 'hit' a show

"Here is a quick idea of what you will need when you go to those shows, and what to do and what not to do:

1. Rubber gloves, since most of the geeks there are ... umm the most icky kind. "

Like Pee Wee Herman icky or wring their shirt and get some McDonalds greese icky?

"2. you will need an Asian translator since it seems all these folks just got off the boat for the show. "

Korean, Japaneese, Chineese (which dialect?), Phillippene (sp), tiawaneese, all of the above?

"3. Dont talk about warranty.. cause there aint none, infact the place you bought it from prolly doesnt exist after the show closes. "

i'll probably void it anyhow, but that's probably wise.

"4. Ask for EXACT batches of CPU's if you are there looking for them, if you dont they will sell you some re-marked POS chip "

This sound like it would irritate the hell out of the vendor. I'm all for that.

"5. Keep all reciepts and make sure you get some rock solid info about the company if you are buying something you cant test before you leave with it. "

Like find out where their boat is docked. How sea worthey it is, and how far to international waters.

"6. if you are buying software like Windows XP Pro for 30$, its prolly a pirate or stolen copy "

both being securiy risks of diferent natures.
Unread 04-28-2002, 01:24 AM   #12
Adam
Cooling Neophyte

thanx guys, i think i'll prolly keep orderin stuff from newegg instead of pissin away my time with these punks... at least I know i'm givin my money to someone who cares or gives a shit...
Thanx for the advice Joe.... guys like you help the learning curve for guys like me to be less stressfull.
Thanx for the help!!!
Unread 05-21-2002, 10:11 PM   #13
UglyBunny
Cooling Neophyte

I dunno maybe I'm just ignorant but I LOVE computer shows...maybe its the Korean vendors playing their trans/techno and shouting loudly or their dubiously low prices, or maybe its the fact that I don't ever want to pay shipping and don't have a credit card anyway. I do agree that the PSU's in the cases are shitty, I bought a case with a 350W PSU and I SWEAR TO GOD it put out like 75W. Maybe I'm insane...

-Ugly
Don't let the system continue to rape You
Vodka and benzene
Destroy the machines
The glorious end justifies the means
UglyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2002, 01:59 AM   #14
IronHelix

around here theres one every month in the local convention center basement. Shows can be useful, just there are certain things you do and do not buy at shows.

Cases- BUY! At least at the ones I've seen, you'll find a great selection of wierd, modded and cool cases.

Mobos- Maybe. Most of the time go for it, but don't buy the one they leave out for everyone to ESD fry when they poke it.

CPUs- Maybe. Make sure there's a good return policy if OEM (which they usually are). Sometimes you can request a particular stepping. Be prep'd to test it AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME, most vendor warranties are only 3-7 days for silicon (CPU/RAM)

RAM- I'd say no. Buy some Crucial or Samsung from a reputable online store like newegg or crucial's direct site.

HDDs- Maybe. They get jostled around alot, and rarely have their single drive OEM shock shell. Usually its just a divided corrugated box with a drives individually static sealed and in separate partitions. When you get home, download the drive company's diagnostic software, do a full destructive test and then a full zero.

Drives (CD, DVD, CDRW): go for it. if it's retail you're good, if OEM check return policy.

Video/Sound: Go for it. If buying OEM, check the warranty and look for a vendor with sealed bags. Some sound cards (audigy) require the CD and don't have online drivers, so see if you can get a driver disk.

Network/Modem: Go for it. They're so cheap it doesnt matter.

Software: Maybe. If its a sealed retail box for a surprisingly good price, its probably incorrectly sold (marked for volume/student/government sale), stolen or pirated (by one of those pro places that makes everything look authentic). If its just a CDR, its pirated. If its a real CD in just a slip case, its probably OEM.

Monitors: I'd say no. Buy a monitor from someone like newegg or CDW. A monitor is a much larger investment (it will be with you longer than the box)

Other shit: Shows are a great place to pick up assorted fans, grilles, cables, connectors, switches, etc. You can often find completely non-computer related stuff, I've seen console system cases (the neon ones), blinking cell phone antennas, some awesome lighters, computer textbooks, MP3 players... it goes on and on. Bring some spare cash and think up cool projects.

Basically, if its OEM components you're buying make DAMN SURE they have a good return policy. Get their name/address, and KEEP THE RECIEPT.
Most places either dont accept CCs or give you a discount for using cash. You can save a bit, but keep in mind that using a CC gives you a way out if you get burned (doesnt work and the company disappeared). Most of the people are very reputable. But using a CC gives you an extra level of protection.
Unread 05-22-2002, 06:59 AM   #15
Joe

I would be very careful buying some HD's at these shows. many times these scam artists are buying overstock from Compaq/IBM/HP etc... what happens is if you buy a drive from them and say its an IBM. In 1 year if it fails you call IBM since the drive has a 5 year hardware warranty, but they link that serial number/model number with an OEM out of a compaq unit.

IBM will flat out tell you "contact your compaq server hardware rep and have them exchange it" which since you dont have a compaq server you dont have any deal at Compaq.

I have run into this a few times now wiht SCSI hardware I got at "cheap" prices. Thats the worst part of buying grey market stuff like most compshows are.

Unread 05-22-2002, 09:29 PM   #16
Mr. Thompson
Cooling Neophyte

We have Market Pro shows in my area. Over the years I have gotten to know most of the vendors. The ones I deal with have great prices and decent to excellent service. I would recommend getting a year’s pass to the shows. This way you can visit a few shows and find out who the regulars are.

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Mr. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2002, 10:31 PM   #17
Haddy
Cooling Savant

anybody know where i can find info on some comp shows in the south.....like around mississippi??
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2002, 12:19 AM   #18
OcPunK
Cooling Savant

The shows around here rock www.marketpro.com
Unread 05-23-2002, 12:28 AM   #19
Haddy
Cooling Savant

grr 3 hours to memphis......
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:44 AM   #20
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by gogo
You lucky, lucky bastards

You have this wonderful thing called a computer show and you snub it. Turn your noses at it. Complain about the entrance fees. well where I'm at we don't have computer shows. We don't heve enough computer stores to fill a one room schoolhouse and a honey bucket. We a happy just to have a CompUSA, bless their hearts. Most of the time it's still cheaper to order online with the 2 day shipping that we are limited to. Most of those companies don't even realize Alaska is part of the U.S., and they try to charge us International shipping. To top it off we have to drive in two feet of snow in the winter up hill both ways.(really do, my house is off a one way street)
but at least you don't pay any sales tax...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:29 PM   #21
TonyM
Cooling Neophyte

I guess one of the pluses about computer shows is that they have lots of odds and ends there. You can pick up lots of little things like spare cables or thumb screws. Most of the stuff there is overpriced, unreliable, or used though.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:30 PM   #22
Joe

Damn unreliable thumb screws....

Unread 05-24-2002, 11:22 PM   #23
IronHelix

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyM
Most of the stuff there is overpriced, unreliable, or used though.
You forgot stolen/pirated.