Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 11-30-2000, 09:58 PM   #1
JesusNipples
Cooling Neophyte

Default The life of a watercooler is tough

After dumping water all over inside my case and using my floppy drive as a rain gutter (i knew it was useful for SOMETHING!) i've decided I will never ever put my pump inside my case again. However my cat seems to think it's ok for her to hang out in there now. I shooed her off and now she hates me. Oh what will I ever do?

------------------
Jesse Jack
Webmaster - MBW Wrestling
http://www.mbwwrestling.com
JesusNipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2000, 10:19 PM   #2
Will
Cooling Savant

HAH! You sir have the funniest name ever ...

Sucks about your water setup, did it kill anything other than the floppy?
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2000, 12:27 AM   #3
JesusNipples
Cooling Neophyte

nah, not that i've noticed. I thought it would toast my little PC beeper speaker as that was where most of the water ran onto when it ran off the floppy drive. But even it's OK. I don't think it even hurt my floppy, but I haven't had a chance to test it. Shows how much I use it. Anyway, it's nice how drives are encased in sheet metal. They make better rain gutters than say, my voodoo 4 would.

------------------
Jesse Jack
Webmaster - MBW Wrestling
http://www.mbwwrestling.com
Unread 12-01-2000, 12:35 AM   #4
Will
Cooling Savant

So why did exactly did it leak over the floppy, do you have giant tubes taht go all over your case?
Unread 12-01-2000, 09:08 AM   #5
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Don't under estimate the gutter power a good high end video card can provide My V5-5500 would do just fine as a nice water duct if it was ever used as such

Infact ask kevin he knows all bout using your video card to direct water flows

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 12-01-2000).]
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2000, 10:37 AM   #6
JesusNipples
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I'm kinda new and stupid to this whole thing. I had got my new system and spent a lot of time testing it out of the box, and I bled it of air out of the box as well. So i figured I'd just put it in without draining it. Well this wasn't so easy, the only way it would fit is if I passed everything through the drive bay. And, if you've ever bought a rese-pump from OCwatercool, the outlet on the pump doesn't exactly fit the hose. I forced it on, but it was a little stretch. So here i am pushing this res through the drive cage and suddenly i feel something splash my arm.

It was kind of a retarded thing to do considering the next day I came home, drained it, cut the hoses shorter, had to bleed the air out of it again and start over =)
Unread 12-01-2000, 10:45 AM   #7
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

wow funny you should mention that fitting on that pump, I was just noticing the same thing. It is big ( bigger then a normal 3/8") but I guess it seals damn good

the thin wall ( 1/16" wall) silicone tubing I am using stretched JUST enuf to hold onto it. I am using some zip ties not to help seal just to make sure they dont slip off ( cause if you are using Zip ties to help make a seal.... you will be in trouble as water will go everywhere.)

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 12-01-2000).]
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2000, 02:59 AM   #8
JesusNipples
Cooling Neophyte

yeah. I had to use every trick in the book to get the supplied tubing on. I lubed it up with some vaseline while running the hose under the hottest water i could run and then i pushed with all my might until finally i got it on. But, like i said, it stretched the hose, so it comes off kinda easy. Especially now that it's all lubed up. I'm thinking of ways to make a better seal. Something safer but not permanent. Any ideas?

I'm already in love with this thing. I've never got my PIII 450 to run at over 500. It's incredibly addictive. I'm grilling it in at 517 right now.
Unread 12-02-2000, 01:37 PM   #9
twocpu
Banned For Being a Scam Artist

Dip the hose end (about 2" of it) in boiling water for about 1 minute before trying to put it on. Don't put any lubrication on it. Grab the cool part of the hose & push it straight down until the hose slips over the fitting. Shove it on as far as you can & let it cool. It won't come off & will form fit to the pump fitting as it cools.

Quote:
Originally posted by JesusNipples:
yeah. I had to use every trick in the book to get the supplied tubing on. I lubed it up with some vaseline while running the hose under the hottest water i could run and then i pushed with all my might until finally i got it on. But, like i said, it stretched the hose, so it comes off kinda easy. Especially now that it's all lubed up. I'm thinking of ways to make a better seal. Something safer but not permanent. Any ideas?

I'm already in love with this thing. I've never got my PIII 450 to run at over 500. It's incredibly addictive. I'm grilling it in at 517 right now.
twocpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2000, 05:11 PM   #10
Will
Cooling Savant

Nice idea twocpu .... might just have to do that in "the setup" ...