Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-02-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Let me see if I understand this ....

When I fist started reading about wc my rig, I would have thought flow ( say volume) would have been much more important than pressure. Now I am not so sure. Maybe I am misundestanding all that I am reading. The impingement is based more on higher pressures than higher flows correct? If this is correct, then a block like the Swifty MC6000 should benefit with a pump with a higher achievable head pressure, yes? The cooling setup I am considering would be with the MC6002A with either the Swiftech pump or Danner Mag 3 with a large rad that excepts 2 120mm fans to put in the top of my full tower. All feedback is greatly appreciated. This site rocks more than any other for tech discssions on wc.
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2004, 03:56 AM   #2
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

I'm unsure about how restrictive the MCW range is; fairly sure its moderately restrictive to higher in the range, but as flow rate increases, it doesnt benefit as much as other blocks from extreme flow rate (ie, tdx, rbx, ww)

Yes, head pressure is generally more important than max flow, because max flow is rated at 0 head; or in other words, 0 restriction. A pump with 0.5m of head and 2000lph wont help you much, but one with 3.2m with 800lph will do a better job. The first pump will run out of pressure very shortly in to the loop, whereas the latter will handle more restriction and end up with a greater overall final flow rate.

Short story - pressure is more important that flow. However, the block you have wont see dramatic improvements with higher flow rates compared to some others.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1026/

JoeC seems to think that its quite restrictive; however, its still very compeditive at lower flow rates.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2004, 01:54 AM   #3
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

The impingement happens because of a lower pressure behind the "jets", or, a higher pressure ahead of them. Inertia from lots of rapidly moving water hitting a "jet" wall will create that pressure locally, though.

There are different ways of looking at it. Flow rate and pressure are being traded off constantly through the course of a watercooling system, at and within every component, but they're inseparable.

A waterblock can be seen as a deliberate restriction where flow rate and pressure cause turbulent flow.

I guess it's easier to make pumps generate flow than pressure. So we must use these pumps, and our systems follow.
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

To achieve flow you need pressure so the more pressure the more flow (both in volume and velocity)

For impingement flow velocity is the important factor and obviously the more flow you have the faster it will have to be to get through the same sized hole but you need the pressure to achive the flow in the first place so dont look at them as oppisites look at them as cause and effect and then velocity secondary effect.

As far as pumps go pressure (head) is the most important bit as the pressure is needed to achieve flow. a high flow pump with low pressure is useless as without pressure theres no chance of it achiving its high flow.

'Liquified'
SlaterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2004, 04:10 AM   #5
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

Here's a toy that shows the interchangability of velocity and pressure: Venturi Tube Simulator .

For cheap thrills, vertically drag the yellow square handle on the venturi tube's end. Note how pressure and velocity translate.

The form of a venturi tube may give a clue to how crude our "impingement jets" are today.
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote