Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 04-03-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Teh luckiest bastid EVAR!

I bought an ECS 817LR motherboard the other day with a 1300 Tbird and 512M SDRAM for $40, put a 3.6GB HDD on it, added a DVD player, and set it up in a spare case with a 300W PSU. I also have a friend who wants to sell a 17" monitor for $40. I thought I had a decent platform for a network server ....

Then a coworker asked if I had a computer for sale, hehe. I'm selling the computer (minus the DVD drive) and the monitor for $250, and buying a new case, PSU, 8RGA+, 2100+ TBredB, 256MB XMS3200, and chipset fan. Net, after paying for the components from my distributor and my friend will set me back $200. I'll be hooking up an old 30GB HDD to it, adding in a second LAN card, and now I'll have a bit more than just a dumb network server ... woar!

The 2100+ will go in my primary OC machine (2.5Ghz here I come!!!) and my old 1900+ Pally will go into the new box. Since the case is the same Enlight as my rack system, I'll be adding that with a spare block and tubing I have laying around. Phase 3 will be done within two weeks!!! The excuse to my wife is that I'll be upgrading her machine (well, I'll be getting her off her old Slot A Athlon machine and giving her this one, so I AM telling the truth, hehe), and she's buying it. The Slot A machine (Athlon 800, 640MB SDRAM, Dual NIC, 20GB HDD) will be the network server instead of this system. Even though the processing speed is slower, due to the extra RAM and the increased efficiency over the SIS 635 chipset I think I'll be much better off (especially due to the increase in HDD space giving me leeway to add more network services!).

It's not every day that you can get a complete new computer for $200 ... I'm teh luckiest bastid EVAR!
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote