Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 12-20-2001, 04:51 AM   #1
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Default MicroATX mobo and automatic turnoff on PSUs

I built a computer for my grandpa today and it has a Cyrix C3 750 and Win XP. It uses an Amptron MicroATX motherboard w/ everything integrated on it and has a 140w PSU in a microATX case. I don't expect anyone to have experience w/ ANY of THAT hardware, but mebbe y'all can help.

When i shut down Win XP, I get the "It is now safe to turn off..." message rather than a computer that just sorta turns off like it should after clicking "turn off." The last mind boggling thing is that when I do push the power butotn it, doesn't turn off. I need to press and hold. The only thing I can think of is mebbe I reversed the thingy that connects the power switch to the mobo (if that even has an effect). Anywho, if y'all have some info, throw it at me.
-Kev
Unread 12-20-2001, 01:07 PM   #2
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

The press and hold is part of the Advance Power config settings...

It should be a part of the bios, under advanced power settings. I have mine set on "press and hold 4 seconds" cuz my dog hits my computer alot. You can set the power button to do alot.

Windows also has these settings as well...

I think it's the bios settings because Windows is pretty much gone by the time the "It's safe to Turn Off" screen comes up. Check for ACPI (I think that's what it'll be called)
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2001, 01:21 AM   #3
Kevin

Webmasta, thanks a lot! I have to unplug this computer and try out the other one (only one monitor in here). I'll let you know how it goes. BTW I'm lovin' this C3 processor. My grandpa's computer is SILENT.
-Kev
Unread 12-21-2001, 04:03 AM   #4
Kevin

Thx! The ACPI enabling was the problem! Stupid Kev .
-Kev