Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-21-2002, 08:48 AM   #1
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

Default "Springy" hose

I've seen hoses with springs in them to help them keep their shape. DOes that really help?
dcrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:26 AM   #2
mhayenga
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, but it comes at the cost of restricting flow a little.
mhayenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:34 AM   #3
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

Also I was thinking my original reason (beside from the fact that it sound so cool) for goin with water cooling was to avoid fan noise... has anyone made a system that doesn't use fans to cool a radiator? I know there are those heat transfer blocks but does anyone have experience with them? Going even further I was thinking it might be even cooler to replace the fan in the PS w/ water cooling.... alright I need to go calm down.
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
cybrsamurai
Cooling Savant

Watercooling the powersupply has been done before. It adds alot of heat into the system with very little benefit except reduced noise and maybe slightly longer life for your powersupply. I would stick to the good old fashoned fan. Or you could try and get ahold of one of the new YS tech magnetic impeller fans with no axle.
Unread 06-21-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

Is it the axle that makes all the fan noise or the actual turbulence caused by the fan blades?
Unread 06-21-2002, 10:33 AM   #6
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

air turbulance and the motor. the axle / bearings dont really add to the noise. since the ends of the YS-Tech fans are closed, this helps reduce air turbulance (and some noise). but really, its not worth the price they cost. just get a normal, quiet fan.

and Bladerunner doesnt even use a rad; he has a large 50-gallon tank burried next to his house (5 or 6 feet underground) which does all the cooling for him. if you do use a rad, you will need a fan on it. you can just do the 7-volt panaflo (or some other quiet 120mm fan) that other ppl do. your hdds will probably make more noise than a panaflo lol.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 10:36 AM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It's from the fan blades.

During WW2, every country was struggling to make the airplane faster, but they found that propeller driven planes couldn't reach mach 1. Except for one...

A Russian bomber.

Actually, the plane itself never reached mach 1, but the massive engines drove very large propellers. At full throttle, the tip of those propellers would reach and exceed mach 1. Needless to say, it was very noisy. It is the first plane to 'achieve' mach 1, but it did so without moving an inch. The locals complained about the noise, so they switched to a dual propeller design.

(Military applications are an incredible resource of information!)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 10:45 AM   #8
WireX
Cooling Neophyte

I just saw the biggest rads I have ever seen.

They were 2.5 metres tall, about half a metre wide and a half thick.
They used 1.5inch tubing.

They are used to cool off the trasnforming station down by my school... hmm, I should talk to the electric company, maybe they have an old one... all it would take it a full size engine, and it could be my massive recycling loop

-WireX

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you - Me

The world is run by the internet
The internet is run by computers
Nerds run those computers
I'm one of those nerds
WireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:20 PM   #9
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

ok so what I'm trying to do is no fans at all.... what if I made (ok so salvage is what I really mean) a turbine or something that got the water moving EXTREMELY fast with a medium to high resistance cooling block? With the water moving extremely fast (high pressure) would I get any added cooling? prolly not eh? ....
well I still want to do it without fans, maybe a heatsink the length of my case strapped to the radiator to use natural convection currents to cool it like that mac cube?

On a more serious note how does phase change cooling work?
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:43 PM   #10
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

Phase Exchange cooling is the same way that refrigerators work. Take a gas, compress it into a liquid, allow it to vaporize into a gas (absorbing heat), take the gas elseware, cool the gas down (release the heat), and then compress it into a liquid again.

Problem is that if you want to go fanless, phase exchange is not for you. Phase Exchange is great if you want to freeze your CPU not just cool it. Not to mention that Phase Exchange will only add to the heat that you are trying to get rid of. I would just stick with a basic liquid cooling system and find a very large passive radiator of some sort or find an alternative method of disapating heat. BladeRunner came up with a great idea however it is unique to his geograpical location. Too bad others can't benefit from his idea.
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:57 PM   #11
cybrsamurai
Cooling Savant

dcrainman if you want to go no fans then watercooling is your best bet. if you have a well and a really good pump that would be a good way to do it, although make sure you keep all of the waterblocks the same metal. Some people use the standup water coolers or use a large metal resevoir in your refridgerator or freezer. Or build your computer into a minifridge. It will all look pretty ghetto. Or you can try your luck in evaporative cooling and use a really tall tube and mist your water down the tube (there are a bunch of drawbacks to this). Just some quick ideas.
Unread 06-21-2002, 01:06 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Actually, a phase exchanger cools itself...

The freon (or whatever other more environmentally friendly refrigerant) actually cools the pump.

The only fan used in a refrigerator is the one that recirculates the inside air through the cold loop. Some models however, do have a fan for the pump.

A phase change cooler can achieve a lower temp, usually somewhere about -25 to -15F, but that depends on the pump.

The problem is that they are more complicated, because it involves compressing a gas to pressures in excess of 200psi. They are a closed loop, and you can't manipulate them very much because that loop must remain closed, otherwise you have to refill the system, which involves a lot of guesswork if you don't know anything about it.

I'm looking into all this phase change stuff right now. I'm trying to find a way to measure the resulting cooling, and to put together a how-to DIY guide. The theory is simple, but the application is nebulous at best.
Unread 06-21-2002, 01:39 PM   #13
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

cybrsamurai did bring up a solution that I forgot about.....

Like he said, get a long tube and have water drip from the top to the bottom of the tube and collect the water from the bottom. The top will need to be open and the bottom will have to have some sort of "box" to hold extra water.

That will cool the water down and can be done fanless however you have to worry about refilling the tube every so offten because the water will eventually evaporate out of the system. That way will work more effeciently with a fan sending a nice current from the bottom to the top but it can be done without the fan.

How desperate are you to go 100% fanless?
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
Eheim 1250
Unread 06-21-2002, 01:49 PM   #14
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

My watercooler really isn't for overclocking, I have two 1.2 Tualatins (where did they come up with that name) that are easily overclockable to 1.5 (my board only goes 1.4) but I can't stand the fan noise (I leave the comp on 24/7) especially since its like 5 feet from my bed. What if I sealed off the top of this "drip tube" and instead had it drip trough a double sided heat sink that was exposed to the air on one side?

^
|
\--way too many commets in that
Unread 06-21-2002, 01:55 PM   #15
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The heatsink would defeat the purpose of the bong. It works by evaporation. A fan makes it work.

The drawback is the "shower" noise, the refilling, the sheer size...

If I was you, I'd watercool with a rad and quiet fans. It should fix you right up.

K.I.S.S.
Unread 06-21-2002, 02:04 PM   #16
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

Alright so the way I see it I can either get a fan that
A) turns really slow in which case how slow is too slow?
or
B) Is really quiet/expensive (anyone seen a good deals?)
Unread 06-21-2002, 02:10 PM   #17
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Multiple small fans are quieter than a single large one. It might be a little more money, but it sure beats getting a large silent fan that's overpriced.

As for flow, more is always better, but all in all, your requirements precede the importance, so just forget about it.

Have you considered a circuit to lower the voltages? You can then get your fan(s) to be silent, very easily. You can then play with it to see the cooling improvement of noise levels, and determine quite on your own the amount of noise versus cooling that you're willing to live with.
Unread 06-21-2002, 02:25 PM   #18
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

There are some fans for sale @ Dtek which have adjustments built into them. According to the specs of the fans they will put out 67cfm @ 22dbls OR 95cfm @ 39dbls. 22dbls should be quiet enough for you ( your HDD will probably put out about 30dbls )

http://www.dtekcustoms.com

Look under the radiator section for Enermax Adjustable Fan.
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
Eheim 1250
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:09 PM   #19
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

more smaller fans are better than 1 larger fan? since when?? lol
you will get more airflow and less noise with a larger fan than you will with a bunch of smaller fans. an as for the YS-Tech TMD fans, i found a 70mm for $13 at CrazyPC. i dont think YS-Tech has a 120mm version out yet. anyhow, the specs for that fan is 30cfm's @ 33db. which isnt all that great, since ive got a cheaper 80mm fan that blows 30cfm @ 25db. panaflos are good quiet fnas an can be had for cheap if you search these forums. you could also get some of these. they are comparable to panaflos (ive got 3), and are very very quiet @ 7-volts.
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:26 PM   #20
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

how many CFMs do i really need to cool a radiator if I mount it external on the rear of my case? That is the rad on the outside with a intake fan on a shroud on the inside of the case behind it.

BTW i've got these IBM deskstar drives, fast as all getup and I can't say that I've ever heard even a tick I highly recommend

thanks everyone for all the help
Unread 06-21-2002, 11:26 PM   #21
|PuNiSh3R|
Foo's Been Banned

If u do a BladeRunner idea.. U need the tank to be atleast 8Ft down.. below the water table in your area.. this is the best place to go.. it will keep your water cold no matter what...
|PuNiSh3R| is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 02:16 PM   #22
chazz469
Cooling Savant

If you're shooting for no fans, check out this site. . They are hopelessly dedicated to zero fan cooling.

AMD XP1600+ @1790MHz and rethinking my cooling....
MAZE3 --> DD Cooler Cube --> Eheim 1048
512MB PC2700 DDR
MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU
2x 20GB Maxtor in RAID 0
1x 30GB Maxtor --> WinXP
GF3 Ti200 @ 240/499
chazz469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 09:46 AM   #23
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude
more smaller fans are better than 1 larger fan? since when?? lol
you will get more airflow and less noise with a larger fan than you will with a bunch of smaller fans.
Not better, quieter. See the war story above.

In short, the tip of the high diameter fan blade is what's causing the noise.
Unread 06-23-2002, 12:58 PM   #24
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

if you want quiet, volt-mod.
Unread 06-23-2002, 02:16 PM   #25
gmat
Thermophile

If you want quiet, dont use ANY fan.
The noise of moving air will be enough to annoy you.
If what you want is REAL silence just eliminate fans from the equation. No matter how "silent", "slow", etc..

Now you must solve the thermal equation of cooling your water with no fan. For this you must use a rad designed specially for passive cooling. Those are not the same as rads designed to get forced airflow through them. Fins will be larger, and will have more space between them.
Ideally you must layout your passive rads so their fins are vertical.
I'm currently buiding such a config, and i'm not the first to do it (do a search on OC forums and on audio enthusiasts sites). Using 2 or 3 rads in parallel is an option.
You'll want to add sinks to every hot component (dont forget main RAM, graphic ram, northbridge - watercooled if VIA -, etc)
about the PSU: TK power makes fanless PSU's. A german company does as well. If they're too expensive for U just watercool your current PSU.
Beware of HD noise as well. Try to use suspension mounts and if it's a hot bitch watercool it as well.
Remember your original design goal: silence. Adding a fan just breaks this goal. Fans *are* noisy, even 7v panaflos.
Now if your design goal is extreme OC through extreme low temps forget what i said. Buy 6 or 7 panaflos and a phase change system.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote