Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-30-2002, 09:37 PM   #126
Brad
Thermophile

lol 6lbs. well, you know what to do with it, when will you be starting?

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2002, 09:41 PM   #127
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

i started mine yesterday, both copper and alluminum in there. The cooper was a bit tarnished and needed polishing, but it's shiny now, and the alluminum looks exactly the same as it did when i first put it in. i'll post daily updates and tell you what i get after a week.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2002, 10:30 PM   #128
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

i will probably start up on sat... if not then it will be early sunday...
i also wanna get some brass just for the hell of it... even though it is inbetween copper and aluminum for the corrosion process....

being a full time college student with 2 part time jobs SUCKS... hell i would take on 4 part time jobs if i didnt have school...
school just sucks cause once your done for the day... you have shitloads more to do... with work... once your done your done... and plenty of time to do what ya want
well off to do sociology homework that has to be turned in today... but technically that isnt for another hour and a half (midnight) hehe... YAY for the few online classes i have.
DigitalChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2002, 04:49 AM   #129
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Well, if for some crazy reason you decide to run distilled water, keep in mind the algae problem. Maybe you should mix up a batch with some rubbing alcohol in the water, see how that effects the metal, because I've heard rubbing alcohol in the water will prevent algae..
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2002, 07:19 PM   #130
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

here are the results for the Anti freeze test : Everything looks just as it did when i put it in after a week, the copper bar, non-anodized alluminum heatsink, and brass barb did not have any corrosion at all after a week. I used prestone antifreeze (the cool neon green looking stuff)
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 12:58 AM   #131
Brad
Thermophile

on that note una, I think I've heard that dish washing liquid works as well

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 02-03-2002, 10:03 AM   #132
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
on that note una, I think I've heard that dish washing liquid works as well
Oddly enough I have been running dish soap in my water for a few days now. All it did was make a nasty film all over the hoses and everything else. Temps when up a few C aswell as I think it has a thick film of it in the block. Once I drop my new block on I will take the other apart and show a pic. it has runn the same water for 10days now with a little soap added 3 days ago.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 11:59 AM   #133
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

This is after 10days 24/7 running tap water out of the sink. 3 days ago I dump a little dishwashing soap in there for the hell of it.

It is almost as clean as it was before I hooked it up!!! The soap did leave a little film around the block and on the hoses though.

I am going to hook up my new block today with new hoses and strait tap water out of the sink again. I will run it untill next Sunday and take it apart. This time I will not dump soap in there and we can see how the hoses and inside of the AL block look. Note I am also using a Copper tubbed rad.

Unread 02-03-2002, 01:08 PM   #134
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

And BTW this is all soap scum on the top peice. I finally dried and it is just soap.

Unread 02-03-2002, 04:36 PM   #135
Brad
Thermophile

that looks fairly disgusting hehe, does it come off easily?

It looks to be fairly thin though, you can see the machining marks on the base of the block, so it can't be too bad.

The other good thing is that it is covering the entire channel fairly evenly by the looks, so there is water flowing evenly throughout the width of the channel in your block

Unread 02-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #136
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
that looks fairly disgusting hehe, does it come off easily?

It looks to be fairly thin though, you can see the machining marks on the base of the block, so it can't be too bad.

The other good thing is that it is covering the entire channel fairly evenly by the looks, so there is water flowing evenly throughout the width of the channel in your block
Yeah it nasty. All soap though no corrosion. Once it dried up it turned in to a white powder and wipes right off.
Unread 02-03-2002, 04:54 PM   #137
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Here they are again after a few minutes of cleaning:

Still have a little siliocne aroung the barbs.
Unread 02-03-2002, 04:57 PM   #138
Brad
Thermophile

the no corrosion thing is good I guess.

on the cap of the block, there is a darkened area where the water has been flowing, was that there before the soap test? If not, what is it, can it be taken off, etc?

Unread 02-03-2002, 05:17 PM   #139
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
the no corrosion thing is good I guess.

on the cap of the block, there is a darkened area where the water has been flowing, was that there before the soap test? If not, what is it, can it be taken off, etc?
I am pretty cure that is just from the different temps changing the color of the Al. It may be corrosion but I don't think so. Comes off with a little light sanding.
Unread 02-05-2002, 02:10 PM   #140
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

if you guys are testing with aluminum foil you will not see any corrosion because aluminum foil is coated trust i tried this coke in a glass with a penny and a peice of foil didnt see anything , then i went to the extreme i pissed in a glass and put a penny and some foil in there nothing maybe if you sanded the foil a bit.
scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 07:55 PM   #141
Cyph3r
Cooling Neophyte

Very interesting... I'm anxiously awaiting the results of all your tests.

Cyph3r
Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 08:14 PM   #142
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

no foil eh? after about 24 hours in a purple ice mix:

actually thats not corrosion as we found out, its a protective coating that happens with anti corrosion additives...
but if there was a coating on foil that wouldnt have happened either

anyway.. my testing has NOT started yet due to the fact that i have no decent camera for you guys right now, but i should have it soon.
Unread 02-05-2002, 09:13 PM   #143
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

mine sitting in tap water and tap with some ajax in it nothing some bubbled on it with just the tap
Unread 02-05-2002, 09:30 PM   #144
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

like i said.. it wasnt the water doing this.. it was the additives, the additives made the bubbles AND the black stuff... the black is basically an anodizing to protect it... the only time it is bad is durring the first few days it is forming... if you let your stuff sit in a still mixture, bubbles will form and eat little pits into your aluminum, ANSWER= keep your pumps on for a week or 2 when you get new aluminum parts.

with tap water, if your aluminum is corroding you will get this white milky stuff collecting around the aluminum (when i first saw it i thought something had fallen in my cup (even though it was covered)
Unread 02-05-2002, 09:47 PM   #145
Brad
Thermophile

we know the black coating is a protective layer, but what I want to know now is how bad is this black stuff at conducting heat

Unread 02-05-2002, 09:56 PM   #146
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

ahaha digital chaos you hit the nose right on the hammer or somthing like that i saw some milky white stuff i thought my brother put something in there after he demanded what i was doing and why...
Unread 02-06-2002, 06:36 AM   #147
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by scythe
ahaha digital chaos you hit the nose right on the hammer or somthing like that i saw some milky white stuff i thought my brother put something in there after he demanded what i was doing and why...
lol yeah.. at first it looks like little crumbs of bread scattered in the cup... but eventually (if the water is let perfectly still) there will be a big growth of it around the aluminum.

as for the testing of the thermal conduction... im not sure how to test this.. maybe i could make a block... BUT i dont wanna start puttin that stuff into my cooling system.
Unread 02-07-2002, 10:59 AM   #148
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Here is 4 days after a fresh block, rad, hoses ect with just plain city tap water:

The middle channels and the outlet have a little black stuff there but everything else is clean. That was using a Copper heater core aswell. Not a great test but I usually don't run any block over a week anyway.
Unread 02-07-2002, 11:05 AM   #149
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

that black would eventually clog up your system and eat through your block, honestly put some waterwetter or purple ice in there to put that protective coating on BUT
before you do that record your temps... then add the rl/pi to the water and record your temps once a day for the next few days
and most importantly record the ambient =)
Unread 02-07-2002, 11:16 AM   #150
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalChaos
that black would eventually clog up your system and eat through your block, honestly put some waterwetter or purple ice in there to put that protective coating on BUT
before you do that record your temps... then add the rl/pi to the water and record your temps once a day for the next few days
and most importantly record the ambient =)
Well it would take years to eat through the block. I ran a Al block for a year and it didn't even scratch the surface hardly with the same city tap water. It got the same black coating but it wasn't eating away the metal.

This is my test block so I monitor temps constantly. Temps have not changed nor have they changed for the other one I ran for a year. Ran the same temp from begining to end. I have never had a block raise in temps over time no matter what was in there.

This stuff just scratches off with the gratest of ease so I really am not worried about it. Dosn't act like it is corrosion but more like minerals/crap from the water. Corosion for AL should be white anyway.

I am not even remotely concerned about it. After this Sunday I will have one block on for several months while I am working so I will show the results after a few months of use with the tap water.