Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #76
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yes, an ammeter *should* be able to measure the current in an AC wave, even if it's clipped.

I think it would be easier to generate the heat from a number of power resistors, powered by a PSU.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #77
hara
Cooling Savant

We're talking a couple of kilowatts here. Actually, a simulation of the heat generated by 9 comps.
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:40 PM   #78
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by hara
We're talking a couple of kilowatts here. Actually, a simulation of the heat generated by 9 comps.
Once again, are you talking about JUST the CPU's in the computers (as thats all you seem to be cooling with that)? If so that is only going to be around 650watts. Average modern CPU is only 65-70watts. How you get into the kilowatts I don't know? :shrug:
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:50 PM   #79
hara
Cooling Savant

Maybe dual cpus....
Maybe we'll cool the psu...
Better safe than sorry
Unread 02-05-2003, 03:08 PM   #80
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Maybe dual cpus....
Maybe we'll cool the psu...
Better safe than sorry
:shrug: Sure is a lot of maybe's for a project like this. "Maybe" you should do some research in real situations, come up with some real numbers, some real applications, and have at least some clue what you "would" be applying this project to in reality. Otherwise it is just a waste of time as it will prove nothing about anything as you will not have anyting (in reality) to relate it to. :shrug: Of course this is just a school project I guess.
Unread 02-05-2003, 03:50 PM   #81
hara
Cooling Savant

Heatload will be only simulated. A rough estimation of ten computers will be about 1-2 KW. Believe me, we're working on it.

Quote:
Sure is a lot of maybe's for a project like this
What can we do about it?
Unread 02-05-2003, 06:26 PM   #82
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
What can we do about it?
Well you need to base the results on SOMETHING! Just saying 9 computers isn't at all usefull to anyone. Assuming this will be for a sever type room, you will want to find a modern server to base your numbers on. For example http://www.newisys.com/tech_specs.htm

Find out what the heat output is of the Opteron. Noramally large servers are dually's so you can figure 18 CPU's. If you know what the wattage output of those are then you can add up the watts and that will give you a number to shoot for.

Example:
"Our experiement will be based on 9 Opteron dual Servers that will total 18 Opteron CPU's running at X.Xmhz for a total of X amount of watt output. We are simulating the the wattage out put by bla bla bla... This experiment's data will be compiled for the CPU's ONLY. Bla bla bla..."

That way people will have some clue WTF you doing.
Unread 02-06-2003, 08:27 AM   #83
hara
Cooling Savant

That can only be done after the maximum heat dissipation of the bong can be determined, which can only be done after the bong is constructed. On a side note, What is better, a 30cm diameter 1.5m bong or 4 120mm diameter 2m bongs in parallel?
Unread 02-08-2003, 12:47 AM   #84
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
That can only be done after the maximum heat dissipation of the bong can be determined, which can only be done after the bong is constructed.
:shrug: What good does that do? Then you have to limit your amount of computers to the cooling system? Should be the other way around.

In reality you would be designing a cooling system around either a system already in place or a system that will be built and you will have no control over what is being used as that is set by whatever the company needs. They are not going to work around your system, you have to work around theirs!

But whatever.

Don't know about which would be better for the bongs. I would bet on the 4 smaller ones if the pump can handle it. I think you would loose efficency with one big one. Tough call though.
Unread 02-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #85
agusto
Cooling Neophyte

Default hmmm

just to pipe in my noob 2 cents.....look into a radiator setup from a newer street bike...just a thought
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:18 AM   #86
hara
Cooling Savant

Update: Material for the bong should be with us this week. We have also decided the waterblock to use (squirrel).

A question: Does battery effect occur when mixing copper with steel?
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:20 AM   #87
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Update: Material for the bong should be with us this week. We have also decided the waterblock to use (squirrel).

Steel???? Not goingto put that in the water are you?
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:26 AM   #88
hara
Cooling Savant

That's right, don't care if it rusts but...will it f- up the wb?
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:29 AM   #89
murray13
Cooling Savant

Quote:
It has been decided!

....Finding a heater element is an easy task but finding a variable resistor that can handle 10 amps at 240V is a different story.

Anyone care to enlighten us?
Well if you are talking AC which I assume you are, what you need is a rheostat. Basically a variable AC transformer. But what might be cheaper is to find a light dimmer rated for the watts you want.
murray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #90
hara
Cooling Savant

Quote:
But what might be cheaper is to find a light dimmer rated for the watts you want.
Bingo! Although rather difficult to find

Will steel cause battery effect?
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #91
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
That's right, don't care if it rusts but...will it f- up the wb?
All I have to say is good luck guys. I guess trial and error will be your only way of learning as you clearly havn't learned much from these forums....
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:49 AM   #92
hara
Cooling Savant

Budget is tight :shrug:

What else could we possibly do?
Unread 02-19-2003, 11:01 AM   #93
Balinju
Cooling Savant

It has been decided to use 4 bongs, 125mm in diameter and 2m tall each, maybe a bit taller!
do you think that these are enough to cool 2kw of heat dissipated. For now forget all the other souces of heat like nb, ram etc. we will consider to water cool the psu but are 4 bongs of that dimentions enough for that amount of energy?
Balinju is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 01:41 PM   #94
hara
Cooling Savant

They are not. I am going to NAHXIK F'SORMOK
Unread 02-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #95
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

I just do not understand WTF you guys are doing. :shrug: What does that "squirrel" block have to do with this project? Surely your not going to hook up one of those to one 2000watt heat source that you say your going to use?

Next, WTF is up with using steel in a watercooling system? You don't care if it rusts? So you don't care where that rust ends up in the system and what harm the rust will do to everything? Jesus ****ing christ!

Next, WTF are you guys thinking with these bongs? Why have you guys not done some calculations or at least some reasearch on what you need? It shouldn't be that hard to figure it out.

So far all I got from you guys is you have yours heads up your ass and you want the people of this forum to figure out for you what to do. :shrug:

It is your project, lay out what you want to accomplish. So far all I seen is a bunch of aimless BS thoughts of what your really trying to do. I highly suggest you get your shit together, make a plan of EXACTLY what you intend to do, organize it, and present it in a new thread. State exactly what you are trying to do, what you plan on using, how you plan to set up every part (diagrams would be usefull), and what you have so far. Draw us a diagram of how you intend to hook this stuff up (PLEASE). Eveytime I think I have what your doing figured out you throw some new stupid curve in it like using the squirrel block. I am totally confused now (again).

Sorry if this seemed harsh.
Unread 02-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #96
hara
Cooling Savant

No, you didn't seem harsh at all, discipline is good.

Anyway, the squirrel block is for the cpu.

The steel is for making the temporary heat simulator. As it is easy to weld together, bend and cheap. The heat source will be VARIABLE.

Next, i'm sorry if we've not been clear here but when I find some time i'll hook up the diagrams and pics of what we've got so far (very little).
Unread 02-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #97
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

Anyway, the squirrel block is for the cpu.
What CPU? I thought this was a simulation. You shouldn't need a water block or CPU?

Quote:
The steel is for making the temporary heat simulator. As it is easy to weld together, bend and cheap. The heat source will be VARIABLE.
Probably a bad idea. Use aluminum if copper isn't available. Steel is very very bad for something like this. How are you going to control the the voltage? You will need amp and volt reading to figure out the wattage. A dimmer switch should work but you will need some type of gauge to see what the amps and volts are.

Quote:
Next, i'm sorry if we've not been clear here but when I find some time i'll hook up the diagrams and pics of what we've got so far (very little).
Even a drawing of what your thinking would be good. I do not see how any of this is going to fit together. The water block has really got me thrown off. I do not see how that can be added in something like this. Not with ONE heat source. 2000watts should be enough to boil water instantly. That is why I recommended multiple heat sources to spread the load. I still do not see how your going to get away with 2000watts not only in one heat source but in one loop. :shrug:
Unread 02-19-2003, 04:31 PM   #98
Balinju
Cooling Savant

jaydee116, we are going to use the squirrel wb because besides the simulation, we are going to include a computer, thats why in the begining we said that we have only one pc and we are going to simulate the heat source emitted by the other nine computers.

I would very like to post a picture on how we are going to simulate the heat load, but it is quit difficult to draw, but anyway, hara or me will try to post one.

We asked if steel caused battrey effect because be were going to use a steel box to enclose the heat sources there, I hope that we will manage to find 300W or something of the sort heat elements. If possible, these elements will be welded with the box.

Hope that this can clear your ideas. Sorry if we made you angry, but you had all rights to be
Unread 02-19-2003, 04:54 PM   #99
hara
Cooling Savant

Quote:
You will need amp and volt reading to figure out the wattage.
You thought we were that ignorant?
Unread 02-19-2003, 04:59 PM   #100
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will need amp and volt reading to figure out the wattage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You thought we were that ignorant?
Maybe we are, but it think that we are not that ignorante that don't know that P=IV