Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Default LOUD iwaki, maybe bad?

Just got an iwaki from someone that bought it off of ebay. Don't think the seller knows its history. Its a MD-20RZ. 100v version. I got the 16-ohm 50w wirewound resistor and soldered it inline to the hot wire.

From what I can see it pumps fine. Dont have anything to give it a load just yet. Its just loud.

Put it in a loop with just a T line. Its not bled all the way. I think the O-ring might have been bad. When I first set it up and put it in a loop it seemed like it was sucking in air from somewhere inside the housing. I fill the loop and there'd be no bubbles I could see at all. i know there are going to be some in the housing for the pump head etc but every time I turned it on it seemed like more and more air kept coming out the outlet. So i replaced the O-Ring with some RTV sealant and that seems to have fixed that problem. I still have some verrry small bubbles in there that need to be bled but I dont think that small amount would cause this noise.

Comparing it to a mag3 it vibrates much less but is much much louder. Almost sounds like ball bearing chatter but coming from the pump head area. If I dismantle the pump (remove the head and the housing for the head so you can see the motor) can I turn it on? Want to see how just the motor sounds. Maybe someone ran it dry and did something to the head?
Or maybe I have to give the motor some lube or clean it?
When I replaced the o-ring I cleaned the head and the housing (fair amount of what I think was algea) and I didn't see any physical damage at all. no marks no cracks nothing. Looked really clean.

Other thing is the back that covers the capacitor is missing too =\ Guess I'll build a new one that will cover the cap and the new resistor.

Soooo anyone else that has a 20rz mind chimming in on how loud it is? Would greatly appreciate it.
Unread 07-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
brucoman
Cooling Savant

md-30rz here...Iwaki's (even with Far East motors) are noisy a bit, all relative

with no load it IS very loud, choke the outlet to get a better idea of noise
brucoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 04:37 AM   #3
phextwin
Cooling Neophyte

^^^ very true.

Place it on some high density foam as well to bask in it's semi silent goodness.
phextwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Whats a good lube to use on the motor? Took the head off and just the mag spinning is loud. Its whine seems to be what Im hearing. WD40?
Unread 07-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Eh just tried wd40 =) Worked quite well. Disassembled the motor and lubed up the two bearing spots and it made a world of a difference without the head. with the head its still pretty loud though
Unread 07-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
killernoodle
Thermophile

WD40 will not stay on there for long enough. I'd hit it with some lithium grease.
Unread 07-21-2005, 02:16 AM   #7
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
WD40 will not stay on there for long enough. I'd hit it with some lithium grease.
Can I get that at an autozone or home depot?
Unread 07-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

I finally got some time to play around with the pump some more. The noise coming from the head is really weird. If I wrap my hand around the tubing thats on the outlet of the pump the pitch of the loud noise drastically changes. Almost sounds like something is rattling around the head/wheel thingy. Guessing its just turbulance but man its loud. What would the damage be if someone turned it on dry? Would their be visible damage to the head or to the magnet sealed inside the head or both?
Unread 07-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
brucoman
Cooling Savant

hmmm....you should know you will destroy the pump head by running it dry!
usually the bearings need the water for lubrication

have you choked the outlet while running to check noise yet?
brucoman is offline   Reply With Quote