Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-06-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Torin
Cooling Neophyte

Default Big pumping action in a small space?

I'm building, or rather in the process of designing my rad box. I'm planning on it being the same dimensions as my case (19"x7.8" DxW), and will be physically bolted to the bottom of my case with holes drilled through the base of the case to run the tubing. The height of the rad box will be dependant on what I need to support the pump. Minimum height will be roughly 6.5" to accomodate the rad. So far, an 11"x7.8" DxW section of the case will be divided off for the rad/shrouds/fans, which will bolt through to the sides of the rad box. This area will be divided off with a piece of plexi to maintain airflow around the rad, and to prevent heat from the pump(s) getting to the rad.

This leaves roughly (per current design specs, which can change) an 8"x7.8" (DxW) section of the rad box to house the pumps. I do not believe this is enough space to store an Iwaki or BlueLine pump, which was my original intention. Eventually, I was led to the idea of using 2 Laing D4s in series, which would fit inside this space, and would give me some hefty pumping power.

Does anyone have some other ideas for pump(s) that would fit into this 8"x7.8" space? Height is not much of a concern, as it can scale as need be, but I would like the rad box to be no wider or longer than my case. Ultimately, I could extend the length of the rad box behind my PC, but I consider that to be a last case option.

Noise is not so much a concern, as I can pad off that section of the rad box with anti-vibration foam and such, as well as the fact that it will be enclosed on all 4 sides. Also, the fans in my PC run about 37dB as it is, and I'm used to that, so as long as it wasn't noticably louder, that general noise level would be fine.
Torin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You've got quite a lot of pump choices. You might want to check out the "which pump do you use thread", let me see if I can locate it...

Here it is:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=3650
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 03:49 AM   #3
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

Here is a link to my sticky thread on pumps. Its a 3 and a half page article i wrote. Its broken up into sections with links to all of the pumps and such....

go with the laing d4's in series. its a super powerful setup. You will see in my thread that i reccomend them. but i would reccomend an iwaki over the dual d4 setup to be honest. you can always make the rad box a little bit taller to accomdate the iwaki. know what i mean? have the rad sit above the pump. get what i mean? Is there anyway you can provide a better description of what the rad box will look like. sketch or something. I could show you how to set it up. maybe even put it into autocad like i did with my pc-70 setup.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=41495

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
MaxxxRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 07:34 AM   #4
Torin
Cooling Neophyte

This is a very basic idea of what I want going on. This is a top-down view...

The purple areas are the shrouds. The blank area between the shrouds and the rad (green area) will be filled with a foam sealer. The blue area are the 2 120mm fans pulling air off of the rad. I will be mounting 2 more 120mm fans on the top side of the image on the other side of the empty shroud that will be pushing air. The black line across the middle is the plexi divider. A hole will be cut in that divider to run the 1/2" ID tubing from the rad inlet/outlets (which I did not include in the image) to the pump(s). The area to the right that is empty is where the pumps can go. This is 1:4 scale.

After measing my rad, it is 12" long and not 11", so I only have a 6.875"x7.8" space (0.125" for plexi divider) to put the pumps.

Last edited by Torin; 10-07-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Torin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

Here are the pics i promised you. Its with an iwaki MD-20 in there. Notice the 80mm fan holes for ventilation. LMK if u want a mock up with dual laing d4's. Note that I cannot due tubing in the mock ups as Autocad has serious problems modeling curved solids. That and its been 3 years since ive used the prog.. lol.

Unread 10-09-2004, 07:10 AM   #6
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

And here is the renderings with the laing d4s in series. i set it up to make the tubing the shortest physically possible. You will need to turn your rad around though sothe barbs are facing the other way. (not to the other end of the box, but just to turn it around to give it more room to route the cables). The d4's are turned opposite directions to one another in an effor to make tubing shorter. the way i have it setup your system would go:

pumps > cpu > gpu (if u have gpu cooler > res (if u use one) > rad > and then pumps again.

I should note that measurements are accurate down to 2 decimal places and everything was done in millimeters. So its pretty damn perfect. The only thing i didnt really take much time on accuracy was the placement of the holes for the 120mm as i dont the rad on hand to measure with.

Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 10-09-2004 at 08:17 AM.