Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-05-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
ZaVkE
Cooling Neophyte

Default SFF WC-project: remarks & opinions

The subject:
a shuttle SN45G
2500+ Barton @ 2750MHz & beyond
ATI 9500 @ 9700pro & beyond

The torture:
Fitting all of this inside the case so on the outside (execpt from some missing grills it looks basic):
  • #rotor design cpu-block 3/8-intake-fitting
  • vga custommade block 3/8 fittings
  • chipset custommade block 3/8 fittings
  • Black Ice Micro 1/2 fittings
  • 2 Hydor S20II pumps (480l/h or 2gpm & rotatable outlets)
  • TT UFO fan (+80cfm)

The plan:
Making 2 seperate circuits which share the same rad.

How & Why?
The rad will have 2 1/2 fittings to make it a less flow restrictive as possible. Otherwise the small fittings could put a huge strain on the flow.
Using 2 Y-connectors both circuits (on 3/8-tubing) will enter & exit the rad, making them completely seperated from eachother (execpt for the rad offcourse).

Circuit1:
From the rad the a pump seated (looking @ the front of the shuttle) left of the drive-carriage (perfect fit btw, 1 mm space left ) to the cpu-block (going to use shorter fittings to make more space for larger tube-corner). 2 outlets come together in a Y-piece which goes to the Y-piece connected to the rad. Nothing unusual here so far

Circuit2:
From the rad to the pump on the right side over to the chipset-block, to the vga-block and back to the rad. But because most chipset- & vgablocks are either with fittings on top or with fittings that make a 90°corner, i would be forced to make extremely sharp bends and lose a lot of flow.
To counter this i'm planning on making my own blocks for vga & chipset (both on the same principle) with in & outlets on the side (maybe a bit elevated so that the tubing doesn't hit something). That way i will have almost no bends between pump & chipset and chipset & vga, together with a much less restrictive design of the blocks should result in a better flow in circuit 2.
You can best compare the idea to the zalman vga-block.

The idea for my blocks is to have a lot of small fins placed along with the flow over the length of the block with a entry & exit @ the beginning & end. Kinda like a cascade design without the center inlet.

I'm planning to start with either of these 2 blocks:

Still in doubt, but tending towards the copper one.
Then i'll orient them in the way i need them, drill the holes to mount them & remove all the metal that i don't need (excess fins & base). Afterwards i'm planning on putting a plexi top over it all. For the shap of the fins i'm opting for a V-shaped entrance so that there is a more even distribution along the fins.

I think that this design should work nicely for what is is supposed to do and that the overal performance of the system will be nice (altough it's looking into a crystal sphere for the moment).
My biggest doubts are the fan, but i can't seems to find a decent 80mm (or even 92mm) with a lot of cfm and a reasonable dba-level.

Any remarks, questions or opinions are welcome and appreciated
Unread 09-05-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
killernoodle
Thermophile

Use this one, I have made many great waterblocks with those.

Yeah, go for it! I think these blocks could probably out perform the #rotor block. And you only need one loop. Dont complicate it if you dont have to, especially if you are only using one small radiator. Personally, I'd make an extension on the case and put a larger rad up there. Or you can put a larger rad on stilts on the top of the case kinda. You wont see much performance with an 80mm rad.
Unread 09-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
ZaVkE
Cooling Neophyte

Maybe make 3 of those blocks ...
Yeah why not
A bigger rad is not a option, the challenge is to fit it all in the box

That also seems like a very good block, but it looks same same, and yours is very hard to come by here in this potatoland
So i'll just have to go with that Titan.

The double loop isn't to complicate, it's to simplify This way it's doable with the tubing, otherwise i'll have to use 90° cornerpieces and that i want to avoid ...