Unread 04-22-2004, 06:15 AM   #1
FarEast
Cooling Neophyte

Default 12v 6A Pelter

Ok I got hold of a Peltier thats has the following specs:

12V
6A
51.4W
67c max temp on heat side (Not to sure of this)

Now I'm totally new to Peltiers and what the ultimate goal is to achieve a silent system,

I'm not looking to get crazy low temps or crazy overclocks (Although I'm currently running a Athlon XP 2500 at 2.3Ghz) I just want a cool CPU so that I don't have to drop back to stock speeds when summer hits!

So I'm wondering how much use this is to my cooling solution?

PS

I might be new here but If you frequent OC forums you'll know I'm a veteran of case moding and OCing just new to this extreme cool stuff!
FarEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
jag_e_fattig
Cooling Savant

that peltier is too weak to cool your cpu. maybe your video card or the northbridge. granted, i'm no peltier expert. i'm not a watercooling expert ofr that mater either, but you're going to need at least 126w pelt to cool well and overclock.

AER - 05/29/87-10/26/03, I'll never forget.
jag_e_fattig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Unfortunately, I doubt you'd end up with a functioning CPU if you used that pelt. A rule of thumb I heard is to have at least twice the wattage of pelt as your heat source in order to get any cooling whatsoever. Say your CPU puts out 80W. You'd need more than 160W, which means that the lowest model I know of would be a 172W peltier.

Remember, though, that is a rule of thumb, NOT a replacement for experience or real design engineering. Peeps who pelt their CPU nowadays go straight for the throat and seem to prefer watercooled 226W pelts. Even better would be using chilled coolant for the backside of the pelt, but that's fairly extreme.

Remember that an effective pelt will be extremely power hungry. Be prepared for your electric company to send you love letters.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
FarEast
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah I think the only use that peltier will have is for cooling my northbridge I found a great program .... altittle out of date but with a slight modification will work out the wattage need on a pelt to cool a PC..... for my needs (Don't want frost just cold) I would need a 126Watt peltier on my Athlon.
FarEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
Butcher
Thermophile

You should never use a pelt rated below your CPU output - in that scenario it;s just a heater. A 126W should be fine for a 2500+ though.
BTW, new GFX cards are running at 60W+ (more for the geforce 6800).
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:58 PM   #6
joemac
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarEast
Yeah I think the only use that peltier will have is for cooling my northbridge I found a great program .... altittle out of date but with a slight modification will work out the wattage need on a pelt to cool a PC..... for my needs (Don't want frost just cold) I would need a 126Watt peltier on my Athlon.
Hey Fareast you have a link to that program?