Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
ibmkg
Cooling Savant

Heat - Caps/passive components

I just overclocked my P4 3.0Ghz HT @ 1.4V to 4.0Ghz @ 1.5V. It is fairly stable and if I work on it, I am sure it can go beyond that.

CPU temp is 48 C idle and goes all the way 60 with load. But that's beacuse room temp is 32C.

System temp varies with load 35-40C.

The thing that worries me is that the caps around CPU get hot. Like 50C and goes up to 70 with game play. Not only the caps but the coils and all the compenents get hot. Should I be worried?
NOTE: Suggestions are based on my perceptive. I could be erroneous. Therefore, no one has the right to criticize an individual other than rephrasing and or expressing his own annotations on the subject matter itself.
ibmkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Heat - Caps/passive components

You could add a fan inside the case to circulate air there. That would help.

I'd worry more about the northbridge. How are you cooling that?
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Yeah, I'd put a fan on the NB and another fan over the mosfets and voltregs. If they still get really hot and you think thats whats limiting your OC then you can take an old pentium style heatsink (pins with a thin base) and cut it into small pieces (like ram sinks) just big enough for each voltage regulator and attach them with super glue or thermal epoxy.
Unread 08-26-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
ibmkg
Cooling Savant

Northbridge has a stock Al heatsink. I just mounted a fan over it. It is cool enough.

I have not touched the MCH Northbridge and ICH south bridge voltage. And I don't know what FSB termination voltage is so it is also set to auto.

Southbridge is passively cooled. It has a small Al stock HS.

The Vregs had a small Al HS over them. I somehow managed to put a small fan over the V regs (used sticky tape!). It keeps the regs cool but not the caps located near the CPU (hidden by the Cu WB). That is because air can't get to it. I can add another fan but...! ugly and noisy!

BTW It's a P5WD2-Premium Mobo.
NOTE: Suggestions are based on my perceptive. I could be erroneous. Therefore, no one has the right to criticize an individual other than rephrasing and or expressing his own annotations on the subject matter itself.
ibmkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

You sure they are caps? As in capacitors? I've never herd of those getting hot.

If they become a problem then Maybe you can glue on a small piece of metal (real copper penny or some 1/8 inch aluminium) as a heat spreader.