Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-03-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
webmedic
Cooling Savant

Default New silver water block.

Well the blocks not completely silver but it has a silver base and is silver plated. Any comments would be apriciated.

As soon as I get another cpu for testing I will be testing it against on of jaydees aluminum water blocks, one of my own water blocks made from an alpha heat sink and a dangerden maze2.

The picks for the block with a danger den maze2:

http://community.webshots.com/album/30591091AJTJcfZzkJ

and here are the pics of the alphablock:

http://community.webshots.com/album/30556976fWLpIMxkEt
webmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 09:33 PM   #2
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

a silver slug? whats the channels look like on the inside?
scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #3
webmedic
Cooling Savant

It uses a star burst patern radiating out from the center.
Unread 02-03-2002, 09:40 PM   #4
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

can you take one apart and show us? how does the silver slug fit into the waterblock does it touch the water on the inside?
scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 09:52 PM   #5
webmedic
Cooling Savant

Well I only have the one for right now and no pics when it was being built. Yes the silver actually has contact on the inside with the water. Maybe on the next one I'll take pictures but I need to test it first. I'm not sure how well it will perform. The alpha block when I got done with it actually gave temps aboit 1c worse than the danger den but that was with a low flow pump I'm willing to bet it will do better with the ehiem 1250. The danger den maze gives about the same temps no matter what pump I use. The only pump thats given worse temps is the rio 600 and 800 I tried. They gave temps about 2c worse.
Unread 02-03-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I still havn't pinned down why you had bad luck with that block I gave you. It may have been lapped to much with the mill and dosn't have a thick enough base. That was one of my protoype blocks and I can't remeber exactly what I did to it. That one I have been using has been pretty good. Within 6-8C of water temp. This new one is staying steady at 10C over water temp which is not great but I am still working on it.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 10:35 PM   #7
webmedic
Cooling Savant

Nice to still see you around jaydee. I read allot of the posts here but have been to busy to talk much lately. I'm still interested for a few blocks if you ever get the time.

Those temps are verry good, thats overclocked isn't it?

Also I'm working on a new resevore disign with cooling built in. I will be able to change from AL to copper pretty easy. So AL blocks are not a problem for me anymore. Well at least as far as I'm concerned I just don't want to mix the metals.

Last edited by webmedic; 02-03-2002 at 10:40 PM.
Unread 02-03-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by webmedic
Nice to still see you around jaydee. I read allot of the posts here but have been to busy to talk much lately. I'm still interested for a few blocks if you ever get the time.

Those temps are verry good, thats overclocked isn't it?
Yep, that is the Xp1600+at 1554mhz 148FSb 2.05Vcore running SETI. Running Toast or CPU Burn with the K7 deal it runns about 9C over water temp for the original and 12C over water temp for the new one.

I have been very busy with work the last couple weeks and put this new design together overnight. If I have to work this week I will not be doing much, but if I don't I may make up a few more blocks and modify this new one a bit. I am certain I need to mill the channels out a little deeper and I think it will drop a C or 2.

On the 18th I am going back on the road, after that it will probably be here a week gone 3 weeks untill next layoff season. I am going to try and work with Fixittt and try to make somethings happen through the year.
Unread 02-09-2002, 09:33 PM   #9
webmedic
Cooling Savant

I have some new pics showing this thing with my new resevore. The cryocooler It gets 10c above room temp with it. And I will be moding it soon to get below room temps.

http://community.webshots.com/album/30891213WGRjtyGvkC
Unread 02-09-2002, 11:12 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Wow that looks cool. What is that you are using there for the resivore/rad deal?
Unread 02-09-2002, 11:22 PM   #11
webmedic
Cooling Savant

Well it's using pelts to cool the water instead of a rad. Right now it has just about a 30 watt pelt in it. A new one is currently being worked on with a 70 watt pelt and better heatsinks. The new setup when done should get bellw room temps. If tweaked on I'm betting I could get close to freezing temps with little effort. The big thing whould be to not actually hit freezing so that I don't have to wory about condensation. Hopefully it will be fairly quite when done also. It's pretty easy to quiet it down but the performance suffers.
Unread 02-10-2002, 06:35 AM   #12
Brad
Thermophile

that alpha block looks nice, what alpha is it based on?

have you done any performance testing with all the blocks yet?

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 06:42 AM   #13
webmedic
Cooling Savant

The alpha block is based on the pal8045. It seems to cool about the same as my dangerden maze2 but it costs more to make so you be the judge.

I may change the inlet a little and the internal wall to direct the flow but as it stands that level of performance is not what I expected. I was hoping to beat the maze by at least a few degrees.
Unread 02-10-2002, 05:26 PM   #14
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

I think a company should make silver cold plates... A silver cold plate + peltier + waterblock is much better than if the plate were copper. Also, it doesn't cost as much as having a silver block.
-Kev
Unread 02-10-2002, 07:14 PM   #15
Brad
Thermophile

yeah I agree kev. DDen might do it soon, or maybe a smaller company will offer silver coldplates for the maze2

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 07:18 PM   #16
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Question is where do you get Silver? Not exactly readlily available that I know of. Will not be that practicle at $4-$5 an ounce. About 3-5 ounces per cold plate roughly.....

Last edited by jaydee116; 02-10-2002 at 07:22 PM.