Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 11-16-2001, 03:39 PM   #1
AllTalkSebrasky
Cooling Neophyte

Default Water tank

im a very big newbie to the whole watercooling scene and had a few questions. I have heard that you can use ice to cool your processor or ice water to be more exact, being a college student i have a free ice machine in the basement... so i was wondering how i would make an ice cooled system, preferbly one that i could still use a water dye. and that leads me to my second question, what would make a good take for something like that, im buying a YY cube case for christmas. any sugestions woudl be apriciated.
AllTalkSebrasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2001, 04:07 PM   #2
Brians256
Pro/Staff

The ice melts. Rapidly. It is possible to use ice if you have an open tank. However, everytime you add ice... you dilute your dye. If you don't want to dilute your die, you would have to have a secondary water system!

A secondary could be as simple as putting your radiator/heatercore into a bucket of water to which you add ice. Often. Or, you could have a pump which circulates icewater to somehow cool your primary water loop.

In any case, I don't suggest it. It's much too complicated, and you'd be trucking up ice every 15-30 minutes. If you ever stopped adding ice... system failure. I used it as a temporary measure when I discovered my radiator was too wimpy for the heat load, but I quickly switched back to air cooling. That is how much of a pain in the rear it is. I wasn't using dye though.

The YY cube looks nice. Have fun!
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2001, 04:29 PM   #3
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Yah i've messed around w/ ice... not worth it. It melts very quickly.
-kevin
Unread 11-16-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
AllTalkSebrasky
Cooling Neophyte

thansk for the tips guys... so how would you recoment cooling 2 Athlon 1800 MPs?
AllTalkSebrasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2001, 06:29 PM   #5
Brians256
Pro/Staff

I recommend two Dangerden waterblocks hooked up to an Eheim pump and a Chevette heater core. Use 1/2" silicone tubing. Use ducting to space two of 120mm fans 1" away from the heatercore surface (keeping all the airflow going through the heatercore). Have the fans blowing into the heatercore.

Waterblocks - www.dangerden.com
Eheim pump - search the web on www.google.com
Chevette heatercore - www.autozone.com or local source of auto parts
Silicone Tubing - medical supply store or www.caseetc.com
Fans - just about anywhere, but www.caseetc.com has a bunch

Oh, for the heatercore, just use JB-Weld epoxy to add some brass barbed 1/2NPT fittings into the heatercore input/output tubes.

For the water, use Water Wetter(tm) and only Water Wetter for an anti-corrosion agent.

There, that just about sums up most of the recent conclusions about watercooling. Everything else is just for making it quiet or is the mounting details.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2001, 12:32 AM   #6
mrcandy224
Cooling Neophyte

Damn!! thats my setup with only 1 XP 1800+ !!
1.33 @ 1.56 Ghz
mrcandy224 is offline   Reply With Quote