Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 01-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #426
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Java App Idea - A Downloader for the Snap Server - So you dont have to use a computer to download, let it do itself and download to its hard drives, because then i wouldn't need my computer on all the time to download - ie leave the snap server on.

Last edited by re3dyb0y; 01-20-2005 at 10:20 AM.
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #427
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

http://www.gnu.org/software/java/java-software.html - Loads of Java Software, free, dunno if its possible to get it to work on a snap server.

Also this for developing Java - http://www.gnu.org/software/java/developing-java.html

http://www.gjt.org/ is another link

http://www.keystonelearning.com/pdf/KLL_Brochure.pdf - What we want to do/ Snap Server Training

Last edited by re3dyb0y; 01-20-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #428
cringer
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks to all

This is an open and inclusive "Thank You" for all the postings in this thread.
I have successfully upgraded my 1000, 2000, and 4000 SNAPs to OS 4.0.8xx.
I have successfully installed whacking big drives (Fry's has got the best d*** deal on Seagate 300 GB drives - $149 after rebate!!!). These work like a charm and have given me no problems (such as excessive heat, ATA 100 / 133 issues, etc.).
The upgrades have not been completely smooth, but the postings gave me hope where otherwise there would have been abject despair.

Special thanks to Oz (for giving me the courage to tinker with the debug environment), and to Yvette (for a straightforward, no nonsense clarification about upgrading the 4000 series).

My one sadness in all this is that the American Entrepreneur has waded in. There are those out there who are using eBay to purchase SNAPs, using this forum to solve the upgrade problems, and using eBay to resell upgraded SNAPs. Kudos to them for seeing a way to make a buck. Sorrow that those of us who want to geek around and upgrade our own SNAPs no longer have a supply of inexpensive boxes.

chris
cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #429
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Good for you...
Unread 01-27-2005, 06:38 PM   #430
S Car Go
Cooling Neophyte

I see that many people here have been sucessful in upgrading the model 1000. I am trying to do the same. I am having no success.

I am replacing the original worn out 80 gig drive with a 160 gig. I have used Knoppix to write the "snap1000.bin" file to the drive (I think copy worked OK) but the unit will not boot.

When I used the "dd" command in Knoppix, it wrote the 25 meg file to the new drive in about 5 to 6 seconds. That seems way too fast for that much data. I suspect that something is not right. Does anybody have any ideas?

The command i used was;

dd if=/mnt/hdb1/snap1000.bin of=/dev/hdc

Where hdb1 contained the "snap1000.bin" file and hdc was the 160 gig drive that I was trying to write to.

Does the new drive need to be partitioned or formatted before using the "dd" command?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
S Car Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #431
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I can't get an image made at all/ cant save it to my windows HD!!
Unread 01-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #432
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Mounting FAT32 HD For Read/Write
http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/14/1.php

From what i know 5/6 seconds seems what others get
Unread 01-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #433
kozel
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Car Go
I see that many people here have been sucessful in upgrading the model 1000. I am trying to do the same. I am having no success.

I am replacing the original worn out 80 gig drive with a 160 gig. I have used Knoppix to write the "snap1000.bin" file to the drive (I think copy worked OK) but the unit will not boot.

When I used the "dd" command in Knoppix, it wrote the 25 meg file to the new drive in about 5 to 6 seconds. That seems way too fast for that much data. I suspect that something is not right. Does anybody have any ideas?

The command i used was;

dd if=/mnt/hdb1/snap1000.bin of=/dev/hdc

Where hdb1 contained the "snap1000.bin" file and hdc was the 160 gig drive that I was trying to write to.

Does the new drive need to be partitioned or formatted before using the "dd" command?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

I used the Dolly method and it worked fine. A 1000 will not see more than 120gb and avoid Maxtor 133 drives. I used a wd 120gb 7200 ATA100 drive and it runs fine. Sorry, can't help with the Knoppix stuff.
kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #434
S Car Go
Cooling Neophyte

Just shot myself in the foot.

I have determined that both of the binary images (1000 & 2200) will not work in my unit. The 2200 does somewhat. I can get the unit to act normally but there are no devices recognized and therefore I cannot reformat it. The 1000 image looks like its booting but then the power light starts very rapid flashing which I know means panic. So for whatever reason they wont work for me.

So I was going to use Knoppix to copy from the original drive to a new one and I promptly reversed the command and wrote the good drive with the bad drive. Now I am screwed.

Anybody with a known good image of a model 1000 that I can get a copy of?

I am about done screwing with these things.
Unread 01-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #435
gizmo911uk
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 1000 Server Upgrade Howto

Hi, Sorry if this is of no relevance of all but i got this when i bought my snap 1000 server last year, i followed these instructions with a 120gb hdd. great stuff.

Quote:
What I Used:
--------------
-Snap Server series, software version 3.4.803 (latest available as of May, 2003)
-Generic/Noname Intel box w/ 2 IDE busses
-Knoppix 3.2 CD
-Screwdriver (Philips)
-Ide cable which will support 2 drives
-80GB Western Digital 7200rpm drive bought from Office Depot (ATA/100)

What Didn't Work:
------------------------
-Ghost... It doesn't understand the weird Snap partitions and won't clone the disk.
-80GB Maxtor Drive (ATA/133) For some reason, the Snap server didn't like the ATA133 drive, so get an ATA100...

What Did:
--------------
-Update your snap server to 3.4.803 by visiting http://snapappliance.com/ and downloading the patch. To be honest, I don't know if you NEED to be at this version, but it's what I did, and I was successful.

-Back up all data from your SnapServer.

-No, really, back up all your data. When this process completes, you'll have a "clean" (no shares, no files, etc) SnapServer.

-DELETE all data from your SnapServer, and all users, and all shares. We want this server very "stock" before the disk swap.

-Get config info on your drive by visiting http://whatever-you-named-your-server/config/debug (hereafter, this will be called the debug menu) and typing the command "config devices info" and you should see something similar to this:

Quote:
06/20/2003 11:11:26 Command: config devices info

Logical Device: 10006 Position: 0 JBOD Size (KB): 32296 Free (KB): 32168 Private Mounted
Label:Private Contains system files only
Unique Id: 0x0141DE4D1C2F5FDD Mount: /priv Index: 12 Order: 0
Partition: 10006 Physical: 10007 FS Size (KB): 32768 Starting Blk: 515 Private
Physical: 10007 Drive Slot: 0 IDE Size (KB): 78150656 Fixed

Logical Device: 10000 Position: 1 JBOD Size (KB): 76627200 Free (KB): 59689808 Public Mounted
Label:Drive1 Single disk
Unique Id: 0x0141DE4D1C2F5FDD Mount: /0 Index: 0 Order: 1
Partition: 10000 Physical: 10007 FS Size (KB): 77689576 Starting Blk: 57507 Public
Physical: 10007 Drive Slot: 0 IDE Size (KB): 78150656 Fixed

-Note the logical device number for your /0 mount point. This is where all your user data goes, and it's the partition that we'll reformat later. On all the Snap drives I've seen, this number is 10000, but I'm just telling you to check it to be sure... I printed a copy for reference before I shut my Snap drive down, but whatever floats your boat. It's your funeral!

-Issue the command "power off" in the debug menu, and wait for your Snap server to shut down cleanly.

-Open your snap server and remove the IDE drive. If this step scares you, you should not attempt this modification. Not to be rude, but if you can't figure out how to get the case open and remove the drive, you have no business trying this! Of course, opening the case voids your warranty, so just be aware of that.

-Note the jumper configuration on your snap server. Mine was in "master" mode, but I've seen another user's in "cable select" mode, so your mileage may vary. Just be sure you know what mode it was in inside the server so you can set the new drive to the same mode.

-Remove any current hard drives in the Intel/Linux box if you want to be safe, cause you won't need them during this upgrade, then Install both hard drives on a single channel in your Intel/Linux box. Personally, I made the Snap drive Master and the new drive Slave, but whatever makes you happy. On the second IDE channel in the Linux box should be an IDE CDROM with a copy of the Knoppix 3.2 Linux ISO file, so you can boot to linux without touching either of the hard drives in your system.

-Check your CMOS settings and make sure the system recognizes both drives before you move on.

-Now, boot to linux, baby!

-As you boot, Linux will detect the IDE drives in your system, and you want to make sure you know which drive is hda and which is hdb, etc. If it scrolls by too fast, don't worry you can look it up once the system boots. At the shell prompt in Knoppix, enter the following command:

Quote:
$ dmesg | grep hd
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: MAXTOR 6L080L4, ATA DISK drive
hdb: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 40, ATA DISK drive
hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: 156355584 sectors (80054 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=9732/255/63
hdb: 78177792 sectors (40027 MB) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=77557/16/63
ide-cd: passing drive hdc to ide-scsi emulation.
hda: hda1
hdb: unknown partition table

-You will see the banners for HDA and HDB assuming both drives are recognized. If you don't see an HDA and HDB, reconfigure your jumpers and try again... It is VERY VERY VERY important that you know which is the OLD drive and which is the NEW drive, as the DD command we're going to use to clone the disk will be just as happy to clone your blank disk over your Snap disk as the other way around, and in that case, your Snap drive is dead and has to visit the factory.

-So, we can see in this example that HDB is my 40GB Snap drive (manufactured by Quantum) and HDA is my new 80GB Drive. (Manufactured by Maxtor) Notice that Linux doesn't understand the partition table on hdb, the snap drive. I don't know what weird brand of file system they use, but at least DD will copy it even though you can't mount it.

-If you're using Knoppix, issue the command "rootme" or if you're in some other linux, use "su -" to make yourself root, then as root, type the command: Code:
dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hda bs=1M

-This is a disk to disk copy (if=input file, of=output file, bs=block size to use, in Megs) of your old drive to your new one. THIS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME IF YOU LET IT! DD copies every block, even empty ones, but fortunately, you don't have to copy the whole disk. We're just after the partition table and the first 35 or so megs that comprise the Snap specific OS. The amount of time you need to let the DD run will vary by system, and if you have 13 hours to kill, you can let the whole thing copy, but there is really no need. Be aware that DD has no output till the end, so it won't look like anything is happening until it's done, or you hit CTRL-C, but you can watch your HDD lights and see that there's action.

-What I did was let the DD run for 5 minutes, then I hit CTRL-C to stop it. When you stop the command, it will tell you how much data it copied. My system was copying about 1MB/Minute, so I started the DD over again and let it go for about 40 minutes just to be safe and make sure I had all the Snap software partition copied.

-I then stopped the DD command with CTRL-C again, and saw that enough data had been copied, so I powered the Linux box off and put my new 80GB drive back in the Snap server.

-Set the jumpers on your ORIGINAL Snap drive back to default, and PUT THAT DRIVE ASIDE! If you screw up, you can always to back to that drive. If however, that drive is hosed, your Snap Server will be hosed because the OS is on the drive, not firmware on this server. (Dumb, Snap, inc... Really Dumb...)

-Now set the jumpers on your new drive to match whatever your original Snap drive was (mine was Master, remember) install the drive, and boot the server. The first boot will take a while before you can see the server administration page.

BE PATIENT.

-You will see the usual blinking lights on the front as the server powers on and realizes that there is an error on the data partition. The disk will grind a lot at this point, but after about 5-7 minutes (on my system) the System light (leftmost green LED on the front of the server) will begin flashing about once a second. At this point, you should be able to launch web browser and see your Snap's web pages. If it doesn't come up right away, give it a few more minutes, for some reason it really takes a while for the Snap drive to figure out the new drive. If the light is blinking twice or more a second, it's still working on the drive. Eventually though, it will go to a single blink and you are ready to go to the next step.

-Log in to the server's web console as Administrator and go back to the debug menu. Issue the command:
Code:
config devices format 10000 /reinit

and the server will tell you it will reformat and check the partition at next startup.

-In the debug menu, issue the command
Code:
reboot

and let the server reboot.

-On this startup, the drive will grind for a very long time (mine took 10-15 minutes) as it formats and does a fsck on the new drive. When it finally quits grinding, you'll see the single blink system LED again, and the web console should be ready.

-Log back in to the web console and click "Disk Utilities" then "View Disk Status" and you should see a shiny, happy, 80GB partition.

-Reconfigure your shares and restore your data, and enjoy the new hotness of your 80GB Snap server!
Also i have only tried this today as i am running out of space 120gb hdd is gettin full, it is not possible to have a drive over 120gb as with the ata or somethin, anyway i took my snap server apart again and changed the ide cable in the server with one that had 2 ide connectors i added a second hdd as a slave (a 20gb with a windows os one that i took out of a scrap pc) i also used a scrappy pc to power the second hdd, only as a temporary measure to see if it worked. I then switched on the scrappy pc and went into the bios and left it there, then i switched on the snap server it booted and formated the second hdd automatically. After that was complete i went to view the disk status and there it was share 1 and share 2, this also reported in network neighbourhood where i had share 1 and share 2. My plan now is to get a second 120gb hdd giving me 240gb in total i will though have to build my own case as the 2 hdd will not fit in the 1 case, another thing is the power, am not sure if the on board power supply will power 2 hdd's, but am sure i could bodge somethin together if not.

Anyways i hope this is of some use to someone.
gizmo911uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #436
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Car Go
Just shot myself in the foot.

I have determined that both of the binary images (1000 & 2200) will not work in my unit. The 2200 does somewhat. I can get the unit to act normally but there are no devices recognized and therefore I cannot reformat it. The 1000 image looks like its booting but then the power light starts very rapid flashing which I know means panic. So for whatever reason they wont work for me.

So I was going to use Knoppix to copy from the original drive to a new one and I promptly reversed the command and wrote the good drive with the bad drive. Now I am screwed.

Anybody with a known good image of a model 1000 that I can get a copy of?

I am about done screwing with these things.
I was never able to get a drive over 120 to work on my 1000.
I was trying a western digital 160GB. No luck.
I think if you write the snap1000.bin file back to your original drive it should work.
As far as how fast it goes well it was pretty quick when I did it.
If you get the thing running again you might try installing your new drive as a second drive to see if it recognizes it. You'll have to change a bios setting to make it think it is a 2000. There are previous posts on how to do this.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #437
bumpyone
Cooling Neophyte

Drive upgrade

I just upgraded my Snap server 2000 from 40GB's to 160GB hard drives. I had upgraded to OS to 4.0 first. I had a Mirror running on the old drive set. I replaced one drive at a time and was up and running in about 20 minutes.

Thanks for the information on the site.
bumpyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:54 PM   #438
S Car Go
Cooling Neophyte

misterbill,

I have tried your sugestion using the original 80gig as well as an older 20gig unit I had laying around. No joy. I also removed a working drive from one of my model 2200's and it acts the same way. I am wondering if the binary images I managed to download are any good. Maybe they got corrupted somehow.

gizmo911uk,

your response was informative but it assumes that you have a working drive to use as the clone source which I dont. Thanks anyway.

Does anybody have a copy of the image I need that I could try??

Thanks.
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:11 AM   #439
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

The images are on misterbills ftp site, look back through the posts for the link, user & pass.
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:13 AM   #440
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt,
You asked about Java apps on Snap OS. I have actually got 3 different ones running. I was not satisfied with the FTPd, so I replaced that with a Java FTPd.
Also, I have written my own Web server as I wanted to add some extra capabilities - it can now scan my MP3 files and pull the IDv3 tags from them and dynamically generate a web page.
Finally, I have been working on adding DynDNS (dyndns.org) support to it, using a java client. Still working on a DNS client, as the SnapOS does not have any DNS support.
Would be glad to help you out in what needs to be done to adapt Java apps for the SnapOS.

OzDave

BTW: I have an original Meridan 2000 Server, with Java installed using a hack from a newsgroup I found.
How do you install these apps?? Where can i get them? Did you get anywhere with the dyndns.org app?? We can try to help if you would like?

Java FTPd is here: http://j-ftpd.sourceforge.net/
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #441
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V
Have you seen this?? 200gb drive with Snap OS v4 for $200

http://stores.ebay.com/Spontaneous-C...-Upgrades.html

Selling OUR WORK!! Its really annoying, our work, and they are selling it, i would believe.

Anyway, However.....
Unread 02-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #442
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V
Have you seen this?? 200gb drive with Snap OS v4 for $200

http://stores.ebay.com/Spontaneous-C...-Upgrades.html

Selling OUR WORK!! Its really annoying, our work, and they are selling it, i would believe.

Anyway, However.....
I hate to be the cynical one in the bunch but I'm a bit surprised that it didn't happen sooner. :shrug:
INT 20h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #443
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Are these items something to do with installing Java Applets>
java Run Java class with arguments
snaplet count (Return count of existing Snaplets)
instances (Return count of instances of Snaplet)
info get (Return Snaplet info by ID)
set (Set Snaplet run-type, user, passwordinfo by ID)
index (Return Snaplet info by index)
id (Return Snaplet ID from index)
create (Create Snaplet)
start (Start Snaplet)
stop (Start Snaplet)

Command: bios pci

Devices on the PCI bus:
# 0 0 0x8086 0x7100 *430 TX Chipset memory controler
# 0 7 0x8086 0x7110 *82371AB (PIIX4) PCI-to-ISA Bridge (fcn 0)
# 0 9 0x8086 0x1209 Intel
Devices in the Master list not found on PCI bus:
# 255 0 0x0000 0x0000 i82558 CSR Register Set
# 255 0 0x0000 0x0000 i82558 MDI Register Set
# 255 0 0x0000 0x0000 i82558 EEProm via Ethernet Controler
# 255 0 0x8086 0x1229 i82558 Ethernet Controler
Unread 02-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #444
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I dont know if everyones done it, but i reccommend registering your snap server here: http://snapappliance.treehousei.com/...d/regentry.asp it gives some software and sometimes bios.
Unread 02-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #445
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

http://www.snapappliance.com/page.cf...SMMain&Nav=NAS - Has anyone else seen this? It looks interesting?
Unread 02-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #446
so1
Cooling Neophyte

I put up an ftp with SnapOS v4

Anyone can use this to upload or download anything snap related

REMOVED

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 02:17 PM.
so1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #447
so1
Cooling Neophyte

I have a Dell PowerVault 701n, which I thought was basically a Snap Server 2000. I've got SnapOS v4 for the Snap Server 2000, it worked fine on my Quantum Stap Server 2000, but the Dell says "This file is not a valid upgrade for your server". Has anyone been able to get v4 onto a Dell 701n?

Thanks!
so1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #448
tromans
Cooling Neophyte

I bought a used snap 1000 in hopes of upgradeing the hard drive to a 120 gig. It came with a 10 gig that works fine. I have tried both images from misterbill on a 120 and an 80 gig drive but no joy. I also have an 1100 which has an 80 gig so I pulled the 80 and put it in the 1000 but still no joy. I tried a 40 gig and it see's it as a 28 gig and all works good. Does anyone have any idea's on how to git it to see the 120? When you put it in you can't ping or access at all. Could this be a bios problem? Has anyone been able to upgrade the bios? I have version 4.0.830 software on it, and the bios number is 2.1.363 . I have also put the 80 gig in as a slave to the original 10 gig and it came up as an 80 gig but then when I shut it down and reinstalled it as the master you couldn't access it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
tromans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #449
kozel
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromans
I bought a used snap 1000 in hopes of upgradeing the hard drive to a 120 gig. It came with a 10 gig that works fine. I have tried both images from misterbill on a 120 and an 80 gig drive but no joy. I also have an 1100 which has an 80 gig so I pulled the 80 and put it in the 1000 but still no joy. I tried a 40 gig and it see's it as a 28 gig and all works good. Does anyone have any idea's on how to git it to see the 120? When you put it in you can't ping or access at all. Could this be a bios problem? Has anyone been able to upgrade the bios? I have version 4.0.830 software on it, and the bios number is 2.1.363 . I have also put the 80 gig in as a slave to the original 10 gig and it came up as an 80 gig but then when I shut it down and reinstalled it as the master you couldn't access it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Get a copy of dolly to clone your 10gb drive. Clone it to a 100ata drive, avoid the Maxtor ata133 drives. Match the jumper settings on the original drive. Mine was set as Master, I've heard other set as Cable Select. Follow the instructions posted here to re-init the drive. It worked for me.
kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #450
tromans
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozel
Get a copy of dolly to clone your 10gb drive. Clone it to a 100ata drive, avoid the Maxtor ata133 drives. Match the jumper settings on the original drive. Mine was set as Master, I've heard other set as Cable Select. Follow the instructions posted here to re-init the drive. It worked for me.
It didn't for me, I tried with an 80 gig and the system light flashes once a second, and the disk light flashes twice a second, link light stays solid, and the net flashes every few seconds. Does anyone else have any ideas?

tromans is offline   Reply With Quote