Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default Anyone heard of Cooligy?

I was Googling around about the new Macintosh watercooler, and came across this link: http://www.cooligy.com/. These guys are a VC startup with a watercooler that uses a really strange block, basically a thin silicon layer scoured with tiny little depressions all over it...weird.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Yes, been in discussion here a few times. Not much to say about it really untill there is some working examples.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Titan151
Cooling Savant

Yes if I am correct I read an article about them in a PC mag. Problem is I can't remember which one. I think it was about a new cooling method that incorporates a pump and the whole deal into a small cube (the size of a large heat sink) The article claimed it could handle a very large heat load. It looked interesting and they claim their target price is something like $40.00. I lost faith as they said it was still several years away from any sort of use and even then it would only be for large coporations. It would have to trickle down into the enthusiast market.

It may have been in CPU, Maximum PC, or one of those other mags that I can't tell apart (PC this and PC that). You know the ones that always feature a cover with a title like "100 ways to make XP faster", or "50 tips to stop spam" and all that other junk. Useually they are filled with the same info restated over and over again. That article stood out cause it broke the norm for them.

edit - I just checked the pdf. They claim 1000 watts per square CM. (wow)

Here is something from their press release....

Cooligy’s Active Micro-Channel Cooling technology utilizes highly efficient means to absorb heat from the chip’s hot spots and quickly dissipate it to keep the chip cool. The Cooligy cooling system employs a heat collector fabricated from a thin layer of micro-machined silicon that fits on top of a microprocessor package. A very dense area of Micro-Channels etched into the silicon enables fluid to circulate through the heat collector and efficiently absorb and take away heat. Cooligy’s system has been shown to effectively cool microprocessor hotspots of up to 1000 watts per square centimeter.

The Cooligy approach also employs a new, innovative solid-state Electro-Kinetic pump. The Electro-Kinetic pump circulates the fluid in the cooling system through the Micro-Channel heat collector and to the heat radiator that transfers the heat to air. With no moving parts to wear out, this noiseless pump—the first of its kind—is small, cost-effective and highly reliable for long-term use. Although some form of fluid cooling has existed for the most sophisticated computer systems
during the past four decades, none have provided the precision, reliability or cost effectiveness needed to cool the hot spots of the next generation of microprocessors. Cooligy’s Active Micro-Channel Cooling and its innovative solid-state Electro-Kinetic pump is the first solution to solve the difficult cooling challenge presented by intense hot spots in future chips. The company will begin supplying qualification systems to computer systems developers and manufacturers later this year.
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

We've talked about them a LOT. 0.200L/min, a supposed 2 PSI per volt (not that it matters, with flow like that...)
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote