Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 06-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Titan151
Cooling Savant

Connecting external thermister to the mobo

Ohla!

I would like to be able to connect an external thermister to my mobo and display the information using Motherboard Monitor. Is there a way to do this? It would be pretty cool if I could wire up one of my lcd's with labels displaying temps of various components. (water in, water out, top of water block, etc...). I have an old cpu fan that came with a thermister. I am wondering if there is a way to transmit that data to the PC using one of the standard fan connectors on the mobo. Anyone done this? If not, it would make for a nice mod.
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Certainly other ways but this comes to mind: http://www.benchtest.com/gp_Temp.html
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #3
Titan151
Cooling Savant

ahhhh, that is just what I am looking for. The last link I found for this was way too heavy into the electronics for me to figure out. This one has big pictures!

Ohhh, on closer inspection they even have directions on hooking it up to MM5. Can't wait, now I will have temps to display on my desktop graphic lcd. No more leaning under the desk to determine if my computer is on fire!!! (doh, hope me mobo still has a game port)

Last edited by Titan151; 06-08-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Unread 06-09-2004, 01:01 AM   #4
Titan151
Cooling Savant

Dam,

My mobo doesn't have a game port. They are becoming obsolete. Any other links out there for this. I supose someone must make an add on pci card that will support multiple thermistors. Thanks for the input.
Unread 06-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan151
Dam,

My mobo doesn't have a game port. They are becoming obsolete. Any other links out there for this. I supose someone must make an add on pci card that will support multiple thermistors. Thanks for the input.
Check the board closely. My abit KD7 looked like it didn't either but it was there. It just needed a cable. You can probably get a PCI card with one.

But other than that I am not to sure. I think you can hack the SMB bus and do it some how. Mayby try PM'ing Groth. He seems to know his way around electronics.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
Groth
Cooling Savant

I haven't used any SMBus thermistor readers. If semiconductor probes are okay, look in MMZ_Timelord's Max 1668 thread. Even if the unemployment thing keeps him from making them, you can use the diagram/ideas to make your own.
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote