Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 06-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
lordfattius
Cooling Neophyte

Default Looking at some CRTs

I'm looking to get a new monitor and I'm trying to decide between these three:

NEC/MITSUBISHI DP2070SB-BK
NEC/MITSUBISHI FP2141SB-BK
ViewSonic P225FB
The only discernible difference between the two NEC/Mitsubishi monitors I can tell is that the more expensive DP has a Mitsubishi logo on the front whereas the nearly $100 lighter FP appears to be the NEC variation of the product. My first instinct is to lean towards the less expensive NEC monitor, but then I get to wondering why it's so much less...

As far as the ViewSonic monitor is concerned, I already have a P95f+B and find its quality decent. I'm not impressed with it and judging by some of the newegg reviews (mostly the ones that sound intelligent) I'm thinking the NEC is probably the best here.

Any suggestions, experiences, or links to reviews and comparisons are welcome. I've been lurking here for a little while and this seems like a great group.
lordfattius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 11:55 PM   #2
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I have a 22" NEC FE1250 and it's been a nice enough monitor. I bought it cheap as a refurb but no complaints on image quality or colors
Unread 06-14-2004, 12:04 AM   #3
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default All your choices are the same tube...look for the best price for the NEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfattius
I'm looking to get a new monitor and I'm trying to decide between these three:

NEC/MITSUBISHI DP2070SB-BK
NEC/MITSUBISHI FP2141SB-BK
ViewSonic P225FB
The only discernible difference between the two NEC/Mitsubishi monitors I can tell is that the more expensive DP has a Mitsubishi logo on the front whereas the nearly $100 lighter FP appears to be the NEC variation of the product. My first instinct is to lean towards the less expensive NEC monitor, but then I get to wondering why it's so much less...

As far as the ViewSonic monitor is concerned, I already have a P95f+B and find its quality decent. I'm not impressed with it and judging by some of the newegg reviews (mostly the ones that sound intelligent) I'm thinking the NEC is probably the best here.

Any suggestions, experiences, or links to reviews and comparisons are welcome. I've been lurking here for a little while and this seems like a great group.

All the monitors you have selected or linked to are the same tube. The DP series are just tubes off the same manufacturing line that tested better in qual; namely in areas of electron beam eV spec and color accuracy. Unless you're making Shrek 3 for Dreamworks or imaging a future space shuttle for Lockheed Martin, you won't notice the difference. So, I would look for the best price for the NEC. The Viewsonic tubes are OEM'ed from NEC/Mistubishi and I don't know about their internal qual process.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 12:36 AM   #4
lordfattius
Cooling Neophyte

That's pretty much what I was expecting. I'm still leaning towards the NEC FP2141SB-BK but I'm open to suggestions and opinions.
lordfattius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
AntiBling
Cooling Savant

I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB, nearly the same as what you are asking about but with a slightly lower max resolution.

The good:

Amazing array of screen adjustments.
"Superbright" feature really does make it super bright. (good for DVD viewing)
Anti glare coating works as advertised.
Chassis is not as deep as some other large monitors leaving more space on your desk.
Emits much less heat than other monitors I own. The top is cool to the touch.
The picture quality is very good. Mine has a minor flaw in that the RGB convergence cannot be adjusted perfectly across the entire screen , but its very close.

The bad:

Its HEAVY! I mean really heavy. 66 lbs! You need a stout desk to hold this one up.

Last edited by AntiBling; 06-16-2004 at 03:38 PM.
AntiBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Titan151
Cooling Savant

Wow,

I forgot that CRT's can still be that expensive. I have a viewsonic Perfect flat 19" that has been all good for the past 4 years. One thing you may want to consider is looking on E-Bay using the local search option. This will allow you to find people selling monitors in close proximity to you. This way you can useually avoid the shipping cost. I used this method to get an AC unit for next to nothing. (Not to take any business away from great newegg) Either way good luck in your hunt.
2 Gigs Corsair 3200
7800 GTX
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #7
Nicepants42
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
I have a 22" NEC FE1250 and it's been a nice enough monitor. I bought it cheap as a refurb but no complaints on image quality or colors
I have this exact monitor, and I also got mine on the cheap ($220 shipped, with a 3 year warrantee). I don't have enough experience with large, high quality monitors to offer a meaningful assessment of it's performance, but it sure as hell kicks the crap out of the 5 year old 17" Trinitron it replaced.

In case anyone is wondering, I got this thing off Ebay from Enders-Direct.
Nicepants42 is offline   Reply With Quote