Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #1
breathe_nitrox
Cooling Neophyte

Default A couple of heatercore questions

I'm looking for a heater core that I can mount side by side 120mm fans. My first question is given that I want 2 side by side 120mm fans, what should be the min length and width of my HC. Converting 120 x 240 mm gives me 4.75 x 9.5 in, but I'm assuming that a 120mm fan really is 120 x 120 (4.75 x 4.75). I don't have the fans yet. I found a couple of HC on www.heatercore4u.com, the 2-205 (10.75 x 6.125 x 2.5) and the 2-617 (9.875 x 6.125 x 2). There both about $50.00, and have 3/4 inlet and 5/8 outlets. The inlet and outlet on the 2-205 are both on top of the HC and are perpendicular to its face. On the 2-617 the inlet is on top and the outlet is on the bottom, both are parallel to the HC face. Does this difference in inlet outlet arrangement make any performance difference? Given that the 2-205 is slightly larger (and thicker), I'd assume that it cools better, but how much better? Do you think it would be noticeable? I should mention that I'm mounting the HC externally and will be using a 2gal fish tank as a res. Aesthetically I'm leaning more twords the 2-617, but I'd like to hear some input before I go ahead. I was planning on using a Swiftech dual rad, but it doesn't look like I can go with 1/2" ID tubing without a performance loss due to restriction. In addition to the 1/2" tubing, I'll be using an Eheim 1250. Sorry for the long post.
" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty. This much we pledge, and more. " JFK 1961
breathe_nitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 04:19 PM   #2
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Did you try the heatercore database? It is the top link in this forum (stickied).

Go to that page and type in the following settings:

L: Min, 9.5/Max, 11
W: Min, 4.5/Max, 7
D: Min, 0/Max, 2

You'll get a ton of responses, all of which can house two 120mm fans side by side. Most of those have 5/8" or 3/4" tubing, which isn't a bad thing. It is easy to convert 5/8" to 1/2", especially if you are using tygon or clearflex tubing. All you need is a reducer. Plus, since many pumps either input or output 5/8" (while the other side is 1/2"), it would only require reduction on one side. As far as depth, they range from a hair under 1" to as thick as 2", so there is a ton of variety to work with.

Pictures are linked to all of the results that you get from the database query.

Good luck, man.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

My bad, you were looking at thicker ones too ... swap the max value for depth from 2" to 3".
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
breathe_nitrox
Cooling Neophyte

airspirit - The 2 HC's I mentioned came from this database. My main question was what would be the min size for 2 120mm fans. Your reply seems to indicate 9.5 x 4.5. This is what I thought, but thanks for confirming it.
" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty. This much we pledge, and more. " JFK 1961
Unread 02-09-2003, 07:52 AM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

120 mm is about 4 3/4", so that'll be a little bit rough fit, but OK.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
redleader
Thermophile

I picked up a core and put dual 120mm on it for $28 at Autozone. www.autozone.com and find one in your area. They fit easily.

Part number 399026.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 04:59 AM   #7
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Another core that could handle dual 120mm or even 127mm is the 2-144 = 11.25" x 6.125" x 2.5".
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 05:33 AM   #8
breathe_nitrox
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the 2-617, its just big enough for 2 120s and I like its single pass design.