Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
winewood
Cooling Savant

Default simple question on placement

I am looking to add my new stuff in my case. Res, Pump, Rad, but I do not have room in the bottom, nor wish for the inaccessiblity to the water reservoir. SO, are there any reasons why I can not just stack these items to the top of the case, and tiewrap them down in a quasi-attractive fashion, then cut 2 holes for tubing going into the proc.?

I just want to avoid a n00b no no about something that was addressed before I jumped into the forums, and was already common knowledge. You helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Unread 02-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

There are ways to make it fit, but otherwise, there's not really any kind of "preferred stacking order". Just keep the rad's air fresh.

You might be able to route the tubes through the back, or even through a slot opening. There's no need to go and cut up your case

Are we talking about a submerged pump?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
winewood
Cooling Savant

Yes.. the pump is in the res. Can I put it on top. I am leaning toward that solution because I don't have room behind or to the side. If it wont effect performance critically or even by 5% then is it ok?

as for the case.. its a cheap one, and I don't mind.
Unread 02-10-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

No, there shouldn't be any negative (or positive) effects. What's most important is keeping the heatercore's air fresh.

If you're interested in cleaning it up, you could do a Vapochill style case mod, where you extend that case (top or bottom), to fit the watercooling parts.
:shrug:
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #5
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

The only reason that you don't see many people putting their res/airtrap up top is the risk of a leak dumping your entire contents on your components (as if it would be worse than a low end burst). It is ideal to let the air get trapped at the highest point, but not essential if your trap is designed right.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
winewood
Cooling Savant

I know what a plumbers p trap is, but the air trap. Does it resemble a N coming from the pump to the block?
Unread 02-10-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

An air trap can be anything, really. Basically, it is a chamber half filled with water with one input and one output, but as the water flows through it, air bubbles can get trapped in it. You want this right before the pump in EVERY circumstance, and you don't want it to ingest any air into the output. In it's simplest, it can be a T junction with a fill tube. Some are really complicated. There are design ideas all over in this forum.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 02-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #8
winewood
Cooling Savant

I have a submerged pump in a res. It has a inlet going from the top where there is an air gap as the water falls in. Couldnt that just be the air trap?
Unread 02-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #9
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Yes. You will just need to make sure that the design prevents air ingestion. If the pump is sucking air constantly, you may destroy your pump ... air pockets in a mag-driven pump's drive shaft will wear the shaft unevenly and destroy it pretty quickly.