Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-05-2003, 02:38 AM   #1
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Default What is the best bar none.

Yeah okay so there are like 10 different possiblities in the case of a radiator that will fit my space but what performs the best. Is a heater core better than one of those black ice pro jobies from danger dan? If so then which one? I just want the best that will be approx 6x7x1.5 (HxWxD) or less
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 07:00 AM   #2
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Think that mounting hc/rad down front in the case is the best solution, it's getting the coolest air on the intake (close to the ground) and with barbs up, it's easy to fill/bleed the system in that position. It really depends on your preference and size of the case, but that's the way I would mount it.

Dunno what's better BIpro or hcore, don't have any experience with BIpro:shrug:

Good luck!
Unread 02-05-2003, 08:52 AM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

A heatercore should perform better.

Personally, I'll be installing a 6 by 8 by 2.5 core, in the opening where the PSU should be: top/back of the case, vertically.

The worst spot would be at the top (horizontally), in a blow-hole configuration, because air can get trapped in it. The air will prevent the heatercore from performing fully.

Your best choice is going to depend on the size of each option. The bigger, the better. Using a thicker core is a great and easy way to get better cooling.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 11:06 AM   #4
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Are you trying for a quiet system or a O/Cing ultra performance rig? Doesnt' really affect the rad choice, just curious. Other components?

And BigBen is right, bigger is better.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:35 PM   #5
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

I want it ALLLL!! I have an Epox EP-8RDA+, an XP1900+, (2) 256mb xms pc3200cl2, WD 80GB SE, (2) fanbus's + the norm, all shoehorned into an Aluminum Chenming w/430w.

I am looking for quiet (shhhhhh, this is a library) and I want as close to a 200Mhz FSB as I can get.

As for space I am limited by the fact that i want all my stuff to fit in the case, plus I think it will look cool having a rad sticking out of the side of my computer, kinda like an intercooler... mmmmm turbo's.

I will be configing my system like so all that will change is the tube config "pump -> rad -> CPU -> res -> pump":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wawaconfig.jpg (27.5 KB, 181 views)
Unread 02-05-2003, 07:32 PM   #6
Blackeagle
Thermophile

A 2-261 Chevette core will do you pretty well. It is a 6" x 6" x 2" cooling area + tanks & inlet/outlet. You might need to install it laid over on it's side as with the tanks it will be taller than your specs. It is also 1/2" thicker but this will add a good deal to it's cooling.

For a CPU block this core should serve you well.
Unread 02-06-2003, 02:40 AM   #7
Seal
Cooling Neophyte

Is the DTEC heatercore anygood compaired to other heatercores? Im going for silence too.
Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 03:01 AM   #8
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Well no matter if your goal is O/C or quiet a large rad is needed. You just use differant fans. A low CFM for quiet. And high(er) output for O/Cing.
Unread 02-06-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

What do you think about using 4 TMD fans on a fanbus instead of one 120mm. Do you think that will give me the best of both worlds? Oh yeah and what is a tank (what you said was on the rad)? Oh yeah and is it better to have a rad with larger or smaller inlet/outlets (pressure or flow or whatever)? My hose is 1/2"...wait a minute that did'nt come out right...my tube is half inch ID.
Unread 02-06-2003, 04:41 PM   #10
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
The worst spot would be at the top (horizontally), in a blow-hole configuration, because air can get trapped in it. The air will prevent the heatercore from performing fully.
Actually this doesn't happen. I've tried inverting my system just be sure, and nothing at all floats out.

Though I have a large res that bleeds everything out.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 05:39 PM   #11
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Good one, best laugh of the day

The tank is the contained area above/below the fined cooling portion of a rad. The bottom tank guides the water in it's reverse of direction, the top tank has your inlet and outlet.

The inlet/outlet size doesn't matter much. Most guys solder in barbs of the size they want anyway.

Small fans like 70's aren't going to generate much pressure. And a 120mm is quiet if you don't buy a 100+CFM job. Get one of 80CFM or lower and I think you'll like it well. Got a reobus? That is the perfect solution.

Last edited by Blackeagle; 02-06-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Unread 02-06-2003, 07:20 PM   #12
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Yeah I've got 2 fanbuses, my sig is not far off because when I have all 6 of my fans goin (1 is a delta), the only thing missing is the smell of pine.
Unread 02-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #13
m3_arun
Cooling Neophyte

bb2k,
Quote:
Personally, I'll be installing a 6 by 8 by 2.5 core
what model heatercore is this?
just curious.
256MB Micron PC2400

WC system soon...

Iwaki MD-30RZ (getting fittings right now)
Cathar WW block #102 (arrived)
Heater core (still pondering)
(still need to get tubing)
m3_arun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 11:46 PM   #14
Blackeagle
Thermophile

m3,

That cought my eye as well. But I couldn't find it. Would be a nice size.
Unread 02-07-2003, 08:32 AM   #15
superart
Cooling Savant

you should pump the hot exaust water from the block strait to the rad/core and then to the res. That way the heat of the pump is added to the water boefore it enters the the rad. not only does this eliminate the the added heat that would otherwise be stored in the res., it also improves the effciency of the rad/core by increasing the delta heat.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 09:32 AM   #16
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by m3_arun
bb2k,

what model heatercore is this?
just curious.
2-324, 2-323, 2-244 or 2-213. (they're actually 7 3/4 by 6 1/8 by 2 1/2).
Unread 02-07-2003, 09:40 AM   #17
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by superart
you should pump the hot exaust water from the block strait to the rad/core and then to the res. That way the heat of the pump is added to the water before it enters the the rad. not only does this eliminate the the added heat that would otherwise be stored in the res., it also improves the effciency of the rad/core by increasing the delta heat.
You're promoting a myth:

#1, the heat appears at the restriction within the loop, and 95% of the time, that'll be in the waterblock.

#2, the heat is minimal: we're talking about less than 2 watts here, unless you have a huge pump.

To calculate the power (in Watts), multiply the pressure drop (in Pascals) by the flow rate (in m^3/sec). Thanks to Since87.

You can apply the calculation for the whole loop, or for any individual component within the loop (if you know the dP [pressure drop] and flowrate).

#3 the "other" heat from the pump, is from sheer coil heat, transmitted to the water through the housing, but since 99% of housings are plastic, it should be relatively insignificant.
Unread 02-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #18
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Hey Ben you seem pretty smart throwing those big words arround like watt , I was considering going (all items placed exactly as pictured above) rad to cpu to pump to res, but I want to make the res out of aluminum with metal channels (like a battery) to help cool the water (don't know if it will work, it's just an idea) since I want to run a smaller core. Do you see any possiblilities in creating something like that? Do you think that it will work at all? Do you have any suggestions in materials and/or design? I was thinking like a big maze to absorb the heat, maybe with a slow spinning fan on top like a heatsink but that I would'nt hear.
Unread 02-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #19
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

That will work just fine. Anything that can add to the heat dissipation is good. I've even considered finned copper piping. Just keep in mind where the heat's going, because you don't want it to sit around in your case. Also, your PSU needs to stay cool too!

I'd be concerned with the Alu/copper combo, but after being put in my place about it, by Bill, I'd rather take the time to figure it all out, once and for all. (In other words, I'll refrain from comments )
Unread 02-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #20
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Finned copper piping? So how would you do that in a res, would'nt that be like have a rad? Or would you run it through the res and just put small holes in it everywhere so that the water could fllow in and out?

This is a very ruff draft of what I was thinking of, the only problem is I don't know how I would cool it. I coulb add a blow hole to my case but I don't know how effective that would be.
Unread 02-07-2003, 01:37 PM   #21
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Opps messed the image here goes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg res.jpg (11.6 KB, 71 views)
Unread 02-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #22
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I meant "finned copper tubing" instead of regular tubing. It's strictly air cooled.
Unread 02-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #23
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Ohh, you mean like instead of 1/2" Tygon you would go with 1/2" copper tubing that has fins on the outside! Right? Sounds like it'll look like pin heads (hellraiser) case
Unread 02-07-2003, 04:01 PM   #24
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ding Ding!
Unread 02-07-2003, 06:01 PM   #25
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Oh here you go with the big words again.