Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 09-11-2002, 02:26 AM   #1
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Default Zalman Chipset cooler on an ATi Radeon AIW 8500 128

Hey dudes. So I just got this card in the mail, and I am quite happy with it. However, I'm trying to further cut down the noise in my computer this year at school. So far I've ordered some sound deadening foam for the walls and a Vantec Stealth 80mm for the heatsink. I'd love to get rid of the fan on the Radeon. Would this work?
http://www.sharkacorp.com/cgi-bin/TL...alogno=zmnb32j
This zalman chipset cooler is designed for northbridges. Do video cards put out much more heat than northbridges do? Would this still suffice? I dont really care about the loss of a few PCI slots...
-Kevin
Unread 09-12-2002, 05:50 AM   #2
gmat
Thermophile

They do.
With a 7500 it would be allright, it seems that 8500 needs more than "simple" passive cooling.
Besides Zalmann make a specialized vidcard passive cooler, check it out, it's quite bigger than their NB heatsink. Still they say it requires a PCI bay fan or a case door fan for Geforce's and 8500's.

Note: the NB heatsink is very cool indeed, i whish i had known about it before buying my NB waterblock
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
Kevin

Hehe yeah the NB heatsink is cool. Well I already bought it . Their video card heatsink though won't work on the AIW card because of all the componenents on the PCB. Also, I read that for the newer cards, they reccommend a fan for it because they're getting too hot... Ugh there's gotta be some way to go passive on the video card...
-Kev
Unread 10-08-2002, 07:12 PM   #4
BaconGrease
Cooling Neophyte

Wonder if you could shroud it to an existing fan either intake or outflow.
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:21 AM   #5
peregrine
Cooling Neophyte

Ducting would be the way to go. You could even make the ducting cover most of the HS to force air flow through all the pins.
Code:
                _,.-~*+--+
 +-----------~*`      |  |
 |                    |f |
 |          duct      |a | side view
 |                    |n |
 +-----------.,_      |  |
__#######__     `*~-.,+--+

+---------+
| ||||||| |
| ||||||| |   rear view (behind duct)
| ||||||| |
| ||||||| |
__#######__
If you catch my drift
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:49 AM   #6
koslov
Cooling Savant

Try modding a CPU heatsink... something with low-density fins/pins so that passive airflow won't meet a low of resistance. Here are some that would work well: http://www.alphanovatech.com/cat_pe.html . "Suitable for Low Profile Passive Cooling"
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 04:06 AM   #7
Kevin

yeah i'll get a CPU heatsink on it one of these days when my terminal illness known as laziness fades...
-Kev
Unread 10-28-2002, 06:12 AM   #8
peregrine
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by koslov
Try modding a CPU heatsink... something with low-density fins/pins so that passive airflow won't meet a low of resistance. Here are some that would work well: http://www.alphanovatech.com/cat_pe.html . "Suitable for Low Profile Passive Cooling"
Believe me, i've tried that with a FOP heatsink on a GF3 ti200 and it doesn't work too well, at least passively. You still need some form of ducting onto that as the thing puts out quite alot of heat (i think around 30W - correct me if i'm wrong)
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 01:53 AM   #9
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

My 8500dv WITH a heatsink and fan STILL run too hot for my liking. I can't see how passive would work unless the heatsink was HUGE.
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote