Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 07-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Bevel
Cooling Neophyte

Heater core Mounting

HI
I am planning my first water cool system and I have decided on using a heater core and I would like to have it outside the case but I am not sure how to secure it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Bevel
Bevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Sure--do you plan to mount it on top or on the side? Are you planning to put fans inside or on top? A shroud would be best--and on top is a good location because of the size of the HC. Also takes advantage of convection--but a shroud on top of plastic, sheet metal or fiberglas would be ideal--with fans mounted to that either inside or preferably outside.

If you are handy you could make it form acrylic or fiberglas--but finding a likely container in the home goods aisle of the local MegaLo mart is a good ghetto mod.

The metal tape used for duct work (not duct tape) is good for baffling air through the core inside the shroud--or you could make a baffle from domething else.

The basic idea is to either us what is at hand or fab what it is you want--I find it unlikely you will find the perfect brackets--so attaching the actual heater core is a matter of using angles or fabbing something that is integral with the shroud to support it.
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Bevel
Cooling Neophyte

Actually I plan on mounting it to a metal bookcase next to my computer desk. I think I will make brackets to attach it to the bookcase. Is it true that you can put bolts through a core to attach a shroud?
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Sort of--as long as you fish them through the vanes without piercing the loops it will be okay--plastic ties might be better. getting the core away from the PC is a good thing and makes cooling it a breeze (lol).
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Bevel
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah I think it will get cooler air away from the pc.
So you would attach a shroud with plastic ties instead of bolts?

Cheers for the help cyberdruid!
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah--if possible--they make radiator stand offs you can get from the auto parts store--the look like really long plastic nails with special disks that slide over them (like a cable tie) and usually come with little dense foam blocks. Those came with my auto tranny cooler.

I added a shot of the aut tranny cooler I used in a recent mod (see thread in mods)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT2428.jpg (57.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2429.jpg (55.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2373.jpg (134.9 KB, 28 views)