Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 07-04-2004, 06:37 AM   #1
fhorst
Cooling Savant

Default IC7-Max3 POST problems. expert help needed

Hi Peeps,

I have a probelm I can't fix. So I need your help!!!!

Here is the story:
I have a max3, with a P4, 2.8, watercooled cpu, NB, HDD, SB, GPU, Memory, and OTES.
All was working perfectly, with 3 x Maxtor SATA 160 HDD at raid 0. Memory is Kingston 2x 512 matched pair, running at 200 mhz. CPU @ 3.4 Ghz without any problems. (Max OC 3.7)

Then I decided to go for a new CPU, a Presscott 3.0. I allready had the latests bios, so no problems there....
Well, with the Presscott, the system became unstable. So I placed my 2.8 back in.
After one month or so... my problems begin.
Suddenly after a worm reboot, the computer does not post anymore. Fan's spinning, but that's it.

I first was thinking this is my GPU, so I changed it. No changes.
I let my system cooldown, and tried again with the old GPU. No changes.
I took all items out, re-assembled it again, and it was working again!
For about a week. Then again same problem.

I checked again all items and I found that one holder at the NB sprung lose. Ahh That must be the probelm... Makes sence, that could course a shortcut, giving me this problems.

So I went to the store, bought me a new MAX3, also sone 250Mhz memory (2x512) and a new presscott (3.2)

With new stuff I always forst use standard cooling, just to make sure all is working OK before I start with watercooling.

This new set never has been in touch with watercooling. so this could not be the problem.

Changed mobo, memory and CPU, and things started working again.
For about a week.
now when I push the power, I only get a short blink of the leds in the OTES, and then dead.

Disassamble, reassamble.. now with a different PSU And things started working again.
Few days later, same problem.
So I disconnected my SATA, and things where online again!

Downloaded maxtor tool to check HDD, and (as it seems that after fist assebly things work) disconnected all, reassembled, and tested the HDD's.
All of them had problems. So I RMA'd those 3 HDD's. (and burned like crazy to get that 350 gig used on DVD)
Few weeks later, received new ones.
Placed them in. no POST at all. Only a short blink of the leds in the OTS bridge.
Changed CPU, Memory, GPU, PSU, no changes.
Tried with FDD connected and disconnected etc. Just about everything.

I gave up for about 2 weeks, and tried again. Now with my old MAX3, my 2.8 and my new memory. What do you think? works like a charm.
Installed XP, downloaded updates. it was looking OK.
I changed my memory settings from automatic to street racer (what was working OK), rebooted..... and dead again. No beeps, no fans spinning..
just a short blink of the power leds in the OTES. ARCH!!!

Ofcourse I tried to reset the bios (that's the first thing I try when I mess arround with BIOS settings) Via juper and even removing the power cell, but this does not help)

I have this motherboard laying on his box (with anti static bag under it), so there could be no problems with power.
Tried both memory, tried both GPU, tried both PSU. tried all 3 CPU's... still dead in the water.

I also have a PC for my wife and kids, an ASUS P4S800, and all items (GPU, CPU, PSU, Memory) work without any problems in this machine. (exept the HDD, as this mobo does not have SATA)

I'm out of options here!

What the could I be missing? What could be wrong?
Unread 07-04-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Strange thing you got there,

I had no POST when my CPU or NB waterblock was tighten too much so the mobo was bent, but worked when I loosen the nuts a bit.

Only thing that comes to my mind is to try to flash BIOS (no matter the same or newer version), and you didn't state the wattage of the PSU, but I reckon that you have at least 400 W, but for all that you have in there, I would try 500W, and try different manufacturer.

just my .02

Cheers!
Unread 07-05-2004, 06:56 AM   #3
fhorst
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzdre
Strange thing you got there,

I had no POST when my CPU or NB waterblock was tighten too much so the mobo was bent, but worked when I loosen the nuts a bit.

Only thing that comes to my mind is to try to flash BIOS (no matter the same or newer version), and you didn't state the wattage of the PSU, but I reckon that you have at least 400 W, but for all that you have in there, I would try 500W, and try different manufacturer.

just my .02

Cheers!
I'm using a tuned Fortron FSP capable of giving 450W

Anyway, does not matter what I disconnect...
Pure Mobo, CPU, Memory and GPU gives me the same problem.
Removing the GPU and/or memory makes no difference.

Same issue there.
I think it's strange that this would course my problems......

Over tightning... that could be it.. I use the Whitewater, with springs, and I have a backplate to prevent toe mobo from bending...

Still strange..
When I use a stock CPU cooler from Intel, it works for a short while... after this, one worm or cold reboot, and my problems begin....
Unread 07-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
firtol88
Cooling Savant

Just a WAG but you may want to take a good look at your source power, maybe a noise or voltage fluctuation problem on that line.

Assuming it has always been in the same location.
firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhorst
Hi Peeps,

I have this motherboard laying on his box (with anti static bag under it), so there could be no problems with power.
Tried both memory, tried both GPU, tried both PSU. tried all 3 CPU's... still dead in the water.
Dunno if this is true (haven't tried it myself) but you shouldn't power your mobo with antistatic bag directly under it (I don't have my multimeter with me to try, but some ppl claimed that those bags are conductive) so try it without the bag under it.

Still think you should flash the BIOS, it can be easily buggered, but it's a long shot.

Cheers, and gluck!
Unread 07-05-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default OTES makes IC7 MAX sag in corner

I have a MAX 3 with a Northwood 3.2@3.6 and a Asetek Antarctica on it. The only two complaints I have about the board (I do really like it) is that there is audible noise in the on-board sound's output stage, and that OTES thing.

For those that don't know, OTES is a gimmicky kind of cooling fan + plastic vent thingy that sits over the primary components to the CPU's power supply. Its kinda neat, but it hogs the top left corner screw that holds the motherboard to the case/tray. With heavy components on the CPU like a good waterblock or premo airsink, this makes the upper left corner of the board "sag" down a little bit. The remedy is easy, just go down to Home Depot and get a screw that's about 1" longer than a normal MB screw. But I think its kind of an oversight on Abit's part that they didn't include this.

Anyways, I noticed in your post it sound like you said the OTES was watercooled. Now I'm inferring that, I could be wrong. But given your issue sounds like a power supply issue, I bet it has something to do with either that board sagging (Whitewaters are on the heavier side) or whatever mod you have going for the OTES w/c replacement, assuming you have one. The board will bend in normal config even if you use a backplane with the waterblock BTW. Hope that helps.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #7
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
I have a MAX 3 with a Northwood 3.2@3.6 and a Asetek Antarctica on it. The only two complaints I have about the board (I do really like it) is that there is audible noise in the on-board sound's output stage, and that OTES thing.

For those that don't know, OTES is a gimmicky kind of cooling fan + plastic vent thingy that sits over the primary components to the CPU's power supply. Its kinda neat, but it hogs the top left corner screw that holds the motherboard to the case/tray. With heavy components on the CPU like a good waterblock or premo airsink, this makes the upper left corner of the board "sag" down a little bit. The remedy is easy, just go down to Home Depot and get a screw that's about 1" longer than a normal MB screw. But I think its kind of an oversight on Abit's part that they didn't include this.
1" additional is a bit long. You just need to get screws that will go through the extra 1/8" plastic OTES casing. Max of an additional 1/4" (so 1/2" total length) is more than enogh. 3/8" would be better.
Unread 07-27-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus
1" additional is a bit long. You just need to get screws that will go through the extra 1/8" plastic OTES casing. Max of an additional 1/4" (so 1/2" total length) is more than enogh. 3/8" would be better.
My board must be slightly different than yours. The screw hole on my OTES is drilled on the top of the whole plastic shroud, its not molded into the base of it.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
DrMemory
Cooling Savant

The dark, silvered looking anti-static bags are not conductive at all. They use an internal sandwiched conductive layer for Faraday shielding to protect from static electricity. Unless you are poking holes in them they should not cause problems if a motherboard is lying on top of them. The clear and black plastic anti-static bags are conductive but at usually at a very high resistance (>100 M Ohm ?). In most cases a normal Digital Multi-Meter (10 or 20 M Ohm maximum scale) can't read their resistance. This high a resistance also shouldn't cause problems for a motherboard.

I still usually use 6 to 8 of the plastic push through motherboard standoffs and place the motherboard on top of an anti-static mat. This allows space for the AGP/PCI card brackets to hang below the motherboard and not cause problems.
DrMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:23 PM   #10
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
My board must be slightly different than yours. The screw hole on my OTES is drilled on the top of the whole plastic shroud, its not molded into the base of it.
I'll try and get a pic of mine.

The 2 points where the OTES goes over the mobo mounting holes, the OTES just dips down and the top makes contact with the mobo at both those points.
Unread 08-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #11
Korton
Cooling Neophyte

Default Me too

I also am having the same posting problem with my IC7-MAX3. I've got a 3.4 Ghz P4 in there, and a Radeon. The cooling is a ThermalTake fan (6000 rpm) and heatsink (copper). I'm going to try "unsagging" the mobo. But I don't know why it's happening.
Korton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

Actually sounds like a Power Supply problem. Fans spin and no post usually from my experience is a bad power supply.
Chew_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #13
Tempus
Cooling Savant

does the floppy try to seek? (if you have a floppy) - If the floppy seeks but there is no display then your mobo is probably good and its a different issue. If the floppy doesn't seek then you aren't posting worth a hoot.

does the HDD spin up?

Disconnect all the drives, remove all card except for the video. Install 1 stick of ram. Remove all extra fans. Try again.
Unread 08-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #14
Korton
Cooling Neophyte

Solution!

Although it didn't work for mine, if you look on the Abit Forums, some people have solved it. They call it the "warm boot" issue.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread...m+Boot+Problem

You're welcome.
Unread 08-10-2004, 05:49 PM   #15
Korton
Cooling Neophyte

One more thing

Make sure you discharge your CMOS and flick off the PSU for about 10 seconds then turn it back on before you restart. You might get running then so you can implement the fix I linked you to.