Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Cooling News From Around The Web
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Cooling News From Around The Web You can post links, or comments about cooling related articles and reviews from around the web.

Unread 08-28-2005, 04:37 AM   #51
Happy Hopping
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacooltech
It's produced by Cooltechnica
but how can that be? I thought it's made in Germany.
Happy Hopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #52
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucoman
I chatted with him last, nearly 2 years ago
does not post here anymore
hrmm yeah looks like it...
I think he was in the Slovenia military... hope he is safe and sound
Unread 08-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #53
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls7corvete
I agree, I have read your thoughts on this before, but I fear that there will be others that will not agree. Seems like a simple switch to me but you work on a bit different scale than I do, lol.
ok, i'll think about that... thanks for the feedback
Unread 08-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #54
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I am thinking of their original blocks. They appear to be pyrmids. Maybe rounded one. Might just be an illusion.

You're correct, they're pyramids... but even your current pyramid pin design looks better, than that one... Are those Koolance blocks die casted, or forged does anyone know??

Last edited by dacooltech; 08-28-2005 at 06:03 AM.
dacooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #55
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

You're correct, they're pyramids... but even your current pyramid pin design looks better, than that one... Are those Koolance blocks die casted, or forged does anyone know??
I am not sure what method they used. I always assumed die casted but maybe they are cold forged. Their design is not ment for optimal cooling for sure. Althought it is sound for what they wanted to acheive which was low restiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hopping
but how can that be? I thought it's made in Germany.
Huh?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 04:19 AM   #56
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
I am not sure what method they used. I always assumed die casted but maybe they are cold forged. Their design is not ment for optimal cooling for sure. Althought it is sound for what they wanted to acheive which was low restiction.
Die casted most probably...

looks like they put 6 pyramid pins in a circle... stonehenge pyramid design lol

Last edited by dacooltech; 08-29-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #57
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Oh my package got here Bruce
Unread 08-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #58
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Oh my package got here Bruce
That's great news
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:36 PM   #59
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

JD: What I was proposing earlier (about the accelerator plates) was that one could use multiple slits (like the single slit in the WW... only two, or three, or even four). Good idea? I always wanted to try such a design with a fin block (one slit over each fin). Now that college has started, I just don't have time for anything.

I'll start that terminology thread soon....
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #60
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxSaleen
JD: What I was proposing earlier (about the accelerator plates) was that one could use multiple slits (like the single slit in the WW... only two, or three, or even four). Good idea? I always wanted to try such a design with a fin block (one slit over each fin). Now that college has started, I just don't have time for anything.

I'll start that terminology thread soon....
Not to sure how that would work out.
Unread 08-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #61
Eddy_EK
Cooling Neophyte

I talked with Morphling this summer, and he is well.
He works now and (As he said) does not have any more time. :shrug:
Unread 08-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #62
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy_EK
I talked with Morphling this summer, and he is well.
He works now and (As he said) does not have any more time. :shrug:
Thanks for the info Eddy ... I'm glad to hear that he's doing fine
If you speak to him again, please tell him to contact me...
Unread 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #63
Ls7corvete
Cooling Savant

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php...21&postcount=5

Heh, I was right, first post I have read on the block there as well.
Ls7corvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2005, 05:41 AM   #64
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls7corvete
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php...21&postcount=5

Heh, I was right, first post I have read on the block there as well.
oh well yes you warned me about the misconception regarding the acrylic...
there will be a new version, namely MP-05 SP Limited Edition with a nickel plated brass mid plate... let's see if people are willing to spend extra money for a metal mid plate...
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:15 AM   #65
Roscal
Cooling Savant

PMMA is absolutly not a problem in this case. Middle plates don't have any constraints on them, no threads, etc. Just a sandwich between 2 others plates, no risks to break it in any manner (I got one in my hands, thx Bruce)... A lot of people use acrylic in WB, reservoirs or others products with no problem (me too and never got problems even with lot of constraints with conical barbs near plate edges). There's so much kind of plastic that you can't make a global statement like "use Delrin instead of acrylic, it's better", this is BS because it depends of the context. I believe this madness about Delrin on US forums (generally) comes from Cathar with his Delrin Storm plate, no ? Is everyone should use Delrin now and copy him ?? No way to do such, good for his design but not an obligation. Use polycarbonat like Makrolon if you want another plastic, virtually unbreakable but a bit pricey, quality has always a price.
Roscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #66
Cathar
Thermophile

I have no problems with seeing/using polycarb/pmma/whatever clear plastic for the middle plate either.

The Delrin middle-plate was a necessity for the Storm for engineering reasons alone. Has nothing to do with structural integrity, and everything to do with reliably machining the intricate jet array. The jet tubes would snap/crack/splinter occasionally with the clear plastics. The increased cost of the delrin was easily offset by the increased productional yields (100% yields with Delrin if I don't count tool breakages destroying pieces). Again, that's a cost benefit equation contingent upon the design in place.

The top-plate was Delrin mostly for appearance reasons to match the middle plate, and also because from the outset I wanted a classic black and silver appearance since the block wasn't going to have a "glossy" clear plastic top.

I do have to say though, I like Delrin in waterblocks only because I've yet to see a single failure from it. It is tolerant to most chemicals that people use, including alcohols, and I've yet to ever see it crack. It's the best plastic I've ever used from an engineering point of view, but it is pricey and I wouldn't recommend using it if there was no real need.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #67
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscal
PMMA is absolutly not a problem in this case. Middle plates don't have any constraints on them, no threads, etc. Just a sandwich between 2 others plates, no risks to break it in any manner (I got one in my hands, thx Bruce)... A lot of people use acrylic in WB, reservoirs or others products with no problem (me too and never got problems even with lot of constraints with conical barbs near plate edges). There's so much kind of plastic that you can't make a global statement like "use Delrin instead of acrylic, it's better", this is BS because it depends of the context. I believe this madness about Delrin on US forums (generally) comes from Cathar with his Delrin Storm plate, no ? Is everyone should use Delrin now and copy him ?? No way to do such, good for his design but not an obligation. Use polycarbonat like Makrolon if you want another plastic, virtually unbreakable but a bit pricey, quality has always a price.
exactly David... but there's common misconception about acrylic / poly due to a totally unrelated issue... People remember hearing cracking issues with acrylic / poly which is totally related to tapping threads for barbs, and directly jump to the conclusion that acrylic / poly is bad for all uses... which is stupid ofcourse...

Actually I got polycarbonated mid plates made as well. But since cracking issues of threaded holes on poly tops happened more commonly, I thought people would react against poly and decided to go with acrylic instead lol

Cathar also used polycarbonated mid plate on the Cascade, and I never heard of a single complaint about it.

Like he explained it himself, use of Delrin for Storm mid plates was due to necessity for engineering reasons... Good for his design

Last edited by dacooltech; 09-02-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Unread 09-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #68
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Actually I got polycarbonated mid plates made as well. But since cracking issues of threaded holes on poly tops happened more commonly, I thought people would react against poly and decided to go with acrylic instead lol
Hmm, I would've gone with the polycarbonate, if only for its alcohol resistance over acrylic.
Unread 09-04-2005, 05:30 AM   #69
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
I have tested a Nexxos on a 'larger' heat source with spectacular results, on the 1cm² heat die it is a goat
- rather the opposite of what one friend predicted for this wb
Interesting, more details would be appreciated.

Just as interesting would be similar data(inc.cpu heat-source) for the MCW55.
The MCW55's "1cm² die" performance suggests it would be challenging the Storm for CPU cooling.

Unfortunately this "black box" testing is useless to illuminate wb theory.

Last edited by Les; 09-04-2005 at 05:41 AM.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #70
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I got the MP-05 SP nozzle 2 and 3 results done. Now changing out to nozzle 1.

Note max flow I could get through Nozzle 3 was 1.6GPM and 1.8GPM for nozzle 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MP0532.jpg (26.0 KB, 36 views)
Unread 09-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #71
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
I got the MP-05 SP nozzle 2 and 3 results done. Now changing out to nozzle 1.

Note max flow I could get through Nozzle 3 was 1.6GPM and 1.8GPM for nozzle 2.
Got any pressure-drop figures associated with those values?
Unread 09-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #72
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Got any pressure-drop figures associated with those values?
Unfortuantly no. Still trying to get a dP meter that is accurate at 0-5PSI. With the same system however I can get about 4GPM with a Maze4. It is a very restrictive block.
Unread 09-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #73
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Added nozzle 1. I could only get 1.3GPM through it so I only tested it at 1 and .6GPM.

TDX is next....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MP0532b.jpg (30.1 KB, 36 views)
Unread 09-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #74
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Unfortuantly no. Still trying to get a dP meter that is accurate at 0-5PSI. With the same system however I can get about 4GPM with a Maze4. It is a very restrictive block.
Hmmm. It's the performance vs hydraulic power that I care about the most, and can't calculate that without the pressure drop.

As your Nozzle 1 results show, can get some rather impressive lowish-flow performance by making a block/jet super-restrictive because nozzle-velocity is where it's at, however it is at this point that we need to consider the hydraulic power being expended to achieve such results. Without such, we get into the same sort of territory that Overclocker's got into with the HydroCool HS5, where flow per flow it kicked butt, but hydraulic power vs performance wise a DangerDen RBX is better in a full system when coupled with a moderate powered or better pump.
Unread 09-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #75
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Hmmm. It's the performance vs hydraulic power that I care about the most, and can't calculate that without the pressure drop.

As your Nozzle 1 results show, can get some rather impressive lowish-flow performance by making a block/jet super-restrictive because nozzle-velocity is where it's at, however it is at this point that we need to consider the hydraulic power being expended to achieve such results. Without such, we get into the same sort of territory that Overclocker's got into with the HydroCool HS5, where flow per flow it kicked butt, but hydraulic power vs performance wise a DangerDen RBX is better in a full system when coupled with a moderate powered or better pump.
RoboTech has the block I belive. He should have some pressure drop numbers. pH to if he gets around to it. I will look into getting the dP meter soon as I want to know the same.