Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

Default T-line vs Reservoir

I was wondering with all the threads I have seen on the subject about which is better if anyone has the pressure drop of both. Like the Bayres from Swiftech and a standard 1/2" T-line setup.
Chew_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Dont imagine their would be any measurable difference provided the same size fitting is used on either setup. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

That was my thinking also untill I saw this in PHs article on maximizing flow in a system.

Quote:
You will also notice that a T connector produces considerable pressure drop even when flow proceeds straight through the T
Unread 11-19-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, but that is not comparing it to a res. If you compare the id of the t to the id of the two bards entering and leaving the res, and their ids are the same, then I would think the amount of resistance would be equal.
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

That is my guess also but I know that you cant really asume anything and if anywhere there were somenone that had the figures it would be here.
Unread 11-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #6
Bugsmasher
Cooling Neophyte

I bet he was referring to the flow drop by the fittings flow restriction + turbulence.

There will be the same fittings flow restriction on a res as well but less turbulence.

I think part of this can be avoided by doing the 'hot water stretch' with your tubing and getting it over fittings with the same ID as the tubing itself. Yep, its a pain but should result in less restriction.
Bugsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
chernobyl
Cooling Neophyte

To maximise flow/pressure I dont have a T piece nor a reservoir.
The water pipes are quite long and have fitted a 1/2" hosepipe connector to join 2 sections of pipe together.
To get rid of air, I manouver the air to the connector and then open it, top up the water and refit the pipes. A very small amount of air is left in the system as that cant be helped.
The system ran 4 months before I decided to top it up.

Flow must be good with a Ford Sierra Heatercore (+1x120mm fan), Antarctica Block, driven by only an Eheim 1048 pump, cooling a 2.0V XP-M @ 2.7GHz to 40C load (measured at the CPU die with external sensor), ambient 22C.

I hope to see some figures on flow rates with/without a res as I dont have a flowmeter yet (nor know where to get a worthy one for pennies).

Last edited by chernobyl; 11-25-2004 at 12:19 AM. Reason: minor correction
chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote