Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-20-2002, 09:14 AM   #1
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

PurpleIce vs RedLine testing... WTF!!! do they CAUSE corrosion?

http://www.geocities.com/xdigitalchaosx/corrosion/

i havent even been testing for a full 24 hours... but wtf!! straight distilled water seems to do MUCH better than any "anti-corrosion" additives... i am starting to think that these additives may be an electrolyte that conducts between the metal

anyone add any info you may have...

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 01-20-2002 at 08:07 PM.
DigitalChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:08 PM   #2
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

alright i had a funny feeling about this... so this is what i did... i made another cup of 1/2 strength purpleice (this is what corroded the aluminum the fastsest) and then i sanded the outside of a piece of aluminum.... then i dropped it in... JUST the aluminum
and sure enough, it started producing small little bubbles!!!

i dont think i have water soluble aluminum being that the distilled water seems to be fine.... so what gives???? can anyone produce the same thing i have??? the redline took about a day to show up, for reference, if you try
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
redleader
Thermophile

Perhaps the ww/pi are neutralizing other materal on the metal?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:18 PM   #4
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

possibly... not sure how to distinguish that between corosion... its just starting to turn it black....
either way... people are being told to use this stuff to stop corrosion in there computers.... if they have aluminum.. this is BAD.... i bet something is happening to the copper... but much slower
Unread 01-20-2002, 04:29 PM   #5
Brad
Thermophile

woah, the bubbles coming off the Al is quite scary. Was it pure Al, or some compound? Maybe it would be best to put in a normal waterblock and see what happens
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 04:41 PM   #6
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

i got it from a metal rack at AceHardware... it was on of those racks with differnt shaped rods and tubes of all different metals...

it said aluminum.... i dont have an aluminum block =\ anybody have a broken one or scraps from one they could send me?
Unread 01-20-2002, 05:49 PM   #7
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

i let some reynolds aluminum foil sit in there for a few hours... SAME THING

i think im gonna be running straigt distilled water from now one... even though im using 100% copper with brass barbs
Unread 01-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #8
futRtrubL
Cooling Savant

How quickly are those bubbles forming? If they are forming visibly quickly then there is an acid/metal reaction forming hydrogen gas. However if they are forming over an hour or more then it's just disolved gases coming out of solution. Same thing will happen to anything, even glass, no reaction taking place. Distilled water won't give you the bubbles in this case because all the gas has already been taken out.

The fact that it turns black however is worying. The only time I've seen that happen was when I dipped some copper in a volcanic spring.

Edward
futRtrubL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 06:02 PM   #9
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

they are forming fairly quickly... there is definately a reaction happening...very small bubbles... and if you look close enough you can see them floating up at a decent rate
and this is with the aluminum being the ONLY metal in there
Unread 01-20-2002, 06:17 PM   #10
Brad
Thermophile

so, how bad is water wetter then?
Unread 01-20-2002, 06:44 PM   #11
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

right now it seems basically 6-8 hours behind the PurpleIce for the ammount of corrosion that occurs... yet there is still NOTHING in the plain distilled water

check out the last pic on : http://www.geocities.com/xdigitalchaosx/corrosion/ and you can see what i mean
Unread 01-20-2002, 06:57 PM   #12
Brad
Thermophile

yeah the distilled one is the only one that still has the Aluminium really shiney.

While the copper looks to be holding up quite well in all of them
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:04 PM   #13
MechCD
Cooling Neophyte

Water contains 2items, hydrogen and oxygen. Aluminum is below both of these in the electron chart. Copper is above hydrogen, the main problem element in a water cooled system. therfore, the water would corrode if it could, but it can't because it is a liquid. The oxygen will eventually cause the the copper to oxidize after a very long time.

Aluminum and water put together is just a bad idea anyways.
MechCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:11 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Explain this: http://www.overclockwatercool.com/corrosion.html

I have been running nothing but Aluminum WB's for a year now with no problems with corrosion. Of course I change the water every other weeks aswell though.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:26 PM   #15
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Explain this: http://www.overclockwatercool.com/corrosion.html

I have been running nothing but Aluminum WB's for a year now with no problems with corrosion. Of course I change the water every other weeks aswell though.
that is the test that made me do this... i wanted to see purpleice tested... so i got some, and decide why not do a side by side test.

honestly i do not understand HOW that is working in that RedLine test....

jaydee116- are you using straight distilled water? or an additive to it??

for my test it has been about a day and a half and there is not even a haze on the aluminum in the straight distilled water.... who thinks in a week it will be??

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 01-20-2002 at 07:36 PM.
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:31 PM   #16
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by MechCD
Water contains 2items, hydrogen and oxygen. Aluminum is below both of these in the electron chart. Copper is above hydrogen, the main problem element in a water cooled system. therfore, the water would corrode if it could, but it can't because it is a liquid. The oxygen will eventually cause the the copper to oxidize after a very long time.

Aluminum and water put together is just a bad idea anyways.
i understand that completely... BUT the thing is the straight distilled water cups has ABSOLUTELY NO CORROSION, while the RedLine and PurpleIce have PLENTY (when they are supposed to prevent corrosion), infact the PurpleIce cup turned a noticible black after only 2 hours....

maybe we are misinterpreting what is going on... the aluminum has become covered in a black coating... basically tarnished..... tarnish IS corrosion... right?

i guess my concern is that all these water cooling people are relying on additives to stop corrosion.... right now a huge threat is goin for the aluminum users. BUT copper systems do not have identical copper. therefore, the copper will corrode, but at a much slower pace..... and also there is the oxidation from water as previously stated

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 01-20-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:34 PM   #17
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

I think we should get a few people to do this test... everyone will probably have different metals laying around to rule out anything weird.... if we do this test for about 2 weeks i think we could put it toghether and feel comfortable with the results.

If you want to do the 4oz to 1 gallon mix then:
2/3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon will get you an equal mix
if you want to use the mfg recommended then use:
2/3 cups water and 1 teaspoon.

also have an identical cup with just distilled water

if everyone starts getting the same results as me.. i think we should ask chip how the hell he did it

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 01-20-2002 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:50 PM   #18
MechCD
Cooling Neophyte

The black part is what is wierd. That doesn't sound like simple oxidation, sounds more like some kind of reaction
MechCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 08:29 PM   #19
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalChaos
jaydee116- are you using straight distilled water? or an additive to it??
Neither, strait City water from the tap.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 09:26 PM   #20
Butcher
Thermophile

I've been running WW with deionised water for about a month now, my Al reservoir is still perfect inside, no corrosion at all, I'm running a Cu block and rad too.
Unread 01-20-2002, 09:45 PM   #21
Brad
Thermophile

ok, so we have distilled water, what about normal water, that hasn't been distilled.
Unread 01-20-2002, 09:53 PM   #22
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Butcher
I've been running WW with deionised water for about a month now, my Al reservoir is still perfect inside, no corrosion at all, I'm running a Cu block and rad too.

hrmm.. deionized is alot purer than distilled.... that might be the key there... where would i get that and about how much do you pay for it?
Unread 01-20-2002, 09:58 PM   #23
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
ok, so we have distilled water, what about normal water, that hasn't been distilled.
alright just for fun... im gonna throw test metal in water from my sink... it has been through a water softener... but it is NOT distilled... i do not expect it to perform better than distilled, because that would defy science =)

i think the key to all this maddness is the additives themselves... somehow they are causing a reaction JUST with the aluminum (if it is doing it with copper... then it is very slow)

i really would like a few of you to try a simalar test to see if this is just an isolated incident

IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE AND WATERCOOLING!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:08 PM   #24
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

and for anyone that missed it in this post, the aluminum would start to corrode while ALL BY ITSELF (no copper) in the mixtures.... so it has to do with the additives!!!
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:47 PM   #25
Bollocks
Cooling Neophyte

Over here we can buy premade coolant ready for car radiators (which u can prolly get in almost any country). Is it worth testing this stuff too, or is that the same as the redline/WW, or is it useless for using in computer systems anyway due to the high concentrations of ethylene glycol and other bits?

--------------
Celeron 466@525 stable
Plans for H20 setup in HX08
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote