Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-27-2000, 10:42 PM   #1
ck42
Cooling Savant

Default Peltier Controller...and other things

http://www.variablepc.com/photo.htm

Anyone given consideration to one of these?
Seems to me, you get the advantage of being able to use a HUGE pelt when it's needed and not have it running full blast and dimming the house lights all the time.
When the cpu is not at full load, the controller reads the lower cpu temp and compensates by lower the peltier power accordingly.
Seems like a pretty spiffy idea to me!

On another note:
I still need to figure out what size peltier to use on a Tbird I will be getting. Not sure which water block I will get, but prolly will only handle single pelt. I'm not completely opposed to going with a 24V model. I just don't know what would be considered a MINIMUM peltier wattage...minimum being defined as being able to keep the cpu at room temp under full load.
I guess anything bigger than minimum would be gravy...but I need to know the min.

I sure wish some site would do a nice little peltier test with different wattage pelts and show (with an ADEQUATE water block et cetera) the minimum pelts needed for different cpus (cpu voltages vary...I know.) It sure would be a nice start.

Anyone have any opinions on Swiftech's MCW462 water block?? http://www.swiftnets.com/MCW462.htm
The idea behind how the coolant enters the block looks very good. The mounting bracket is killer IMHO!
ck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2000, 12:48 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
Cooling Neophyte

hmm well the absolute minimum wattage you'll want is the one your CPU is producing. any lower and you cold side's gonna get pretty pretty hot... so find out your cpu's heat production (depends on internal speed and voltage, you can get a fancy little proggy from overclockers.com that will help you calculate this: http://www.overclockers.com/tips166/radiate.zip )
and there you go!
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2000, 01:10 PM   #3
ck42
Cooling Savant

Awesome little program!

Questions though...How accurate is it??
How are these wattage numbers derived?
Are those power ratings at 100% load or idle or what?

If these numbers are correct and at 100% load, then even at worst case with a T-bird at 1.5GHz and 2.05V, a 103W peltier would do the job. This doesn't seem to jive with what I've heard people saying about pelts and T-birds. People seem to be saying anything under 120W is not good enuf.

Or do I not have this right? Let's see. hypothetically speaking here:

If the cpu is dissipating 100W (at the time)and the pelt is a 100W pelt (running at voltage needed and hot side sufficiently cooled to actually be a 100W pelt), what is the temp of the cpu? Room temp?
ck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2000, 05:53 PM   #4
Memphis
Cooling Neophyte

www.oatleyelectronics.com sell a pulse width controller for peltiers for ~$28Aus ($14US) which you build yourself.

I have just ordered one along with a dual temp thermometer with alarm so I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Memphis
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote