Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-13-2000, 07:49 PM   #1
Magistrate
Cooling Neophyte

Default Water cooled case?

I was wondering if it would be feasible, and perhaps more to the point, worthwhile, to liquid cool your entire case? Imagine a dual walled, case, built out of plexiglass. Between the two walls, you could circulate water, thus taking away a lot of the heat generated inside the case.

The black lines indicate the case, and the blue indicates the water. This is just a quick sketch I whipped up to give you an idea of what I mean. If anyone has some feedback on this idea, I'd be glad to hear it
Magistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2000, 12:38 AM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Its an interesting theroy, it will be damn expensive I think though.

I have been working on abotu 10 different cooling solutions and one I was thinking of was in the same area as yours, but in a different way of applying it. I was thinking of A/C the case by circulating chilled coolant (pelts) and have a fan blow over a radiator IN the case, cooling the ENTIRE case. this way you keep your Alpha cooler on the CPU but still chill everything just by the mount of coolness given off by the mini radiator in the case. I am gonna try this at some point.

Yer idea has merit I think, if you trying take some pics for me and write something up and I will post it here for ya!

Take it easy and happy chill'n!

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2000, 06:52 PM   #3
kc

hmm... 'magistrate', the idea of a double walled case with liquid moving through doesnt seem very viable for several reasons:

1. air is a very poor conductor of heat. very little heat would be transfered from the inside of the case to the inner wall of the case

2. plexiglass doesnt conduct heat too well either. very little heat would not be transferred to the liquid

3. liquid cooling the case walls would not cool passively cooled chips in your computer (i.e. my sb live that gets quite hot)

4. why not use air? by flowing a large amount of fresh air in and out of your case you can easily get your case temp to near room temp. liquid cooling would also only be able to cool to room temp at best, yielding no performance increase over forced air

5. cost. obviously, building one of these cases would cost quite a bit of money. why not just use a couple $10 120mm fans?

6. noise. to move a large amt of liquid through this case, it would require quite a large water pump. it would probably be louder than a couple fans

sorry, dont mean to bash your idea, but i dont see any benefit of it
Unread 04-03-2000, 04:23 AM   #4
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Actually, if you get the right kind of water pump, they are silent. Heck, you could pump that kind of amount of water with a 140gph pump just fine..

------------------
Overclock till it goes BOOM!
http://members.tripod.com/UnaClocker
Watercooler extraordinaire!
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2000, 05:28 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
Cooling Neophyte

But an idea could be to pass cold water through a radiator positioned in fromnt of a 120mm casefan, thus blowing in cool air. You could even get a few radiators in series for all intake fans
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2000, 12:45 PM   #6
Smashed
Cooling Neophyte

Actually, if you were to run liquid cooling behind the entire mobo, it would be a huge cooling solution. I was thinking of putting a small water block behind my cpu socket, to cool from the other side as well, but a full mobo setup would help cool an overclocked FSB as well. What I have in mind is the type of thing you see behind a lot of older refridgerators, a winding pattern on tubes like a radiator.
Smashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2000, 10:41 AM   #7
Cryonosis
Cooling Savant

HAHAHA, that's great, but. . .no
you are better using passive submersion if you were to spend that kind of money.

basically go buy an aqaurium (actually you should just make your, it'll conform a lot nicer). Fill it with mineral water, or someother noconductive liquid, and cool that liquid. it would be a hell of a lot more efficient than cooling that back wall of a case, and at about the same price (give or take).

just remember: if you ever take on a project, do it for fun.

Cyro
Cryonosis is offline   Reply With Quote