Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 01-21-2001, 06:16 PM   #1
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

Default Chip's inline chillers

OCWC has those inline chillers at 50W, 100W, 200W...I need some kind of setup to cool the water coming off of the peltier/waterblock...the radiator isn't enough...does anyone know if these chillers work well, and if the heat from the hotside if pulled off well by the fan?...
Cablepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2001, 09:26 PM   #2
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Apparently they work well if you use a valve as described. I would go w/ the other chiller though... the one being chilled by another watercooler...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2001, 11:58 AM   #3
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

the other chiller is $225...plus I'd also have to buy another radiator, fan, and another pump...lets see: 225+30+10+40 = approximately $305, heh...add that to my existing watercooling setup,and it costs more than the computer, heh

hopefully Chip will answer my email or icq...if not, I might just use a heat sink to cool the hot side of another peltier, and have the cold side of the peltier chill a waterblock...
Unread 01-22-2001, 08:33 PM   #4
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Yeah... that package is expensive. Didn't realize that :/... sorry. I re-read your post though. You said the radiator isn't doing a good enough job. This would mean the water isn't at room temp? if so, then just grab another radiator. The chillers are designed for taking the water to below-ambient levels. If you do this, you realize that you will need to insulate all of your ose... right?
Quote:
Originally posted by Cablepro:
the other chiller is $225...plus I'd also have to buy another radiator, fan, and another pump...lets see: 225+30+10+40 = approximately $305, heh...add that to my existing watercooling setup,and it costs more than the computer, heh
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2001, 08:44 PM   #5
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

yeh...i'm going to insulate my entire system better than southpark kenny =P...I just got a chance to talk to Chip...what a great guy...he suggested I get a dorm fridge and submerge my radiator into a glycol/water solution and keep it inside the fridge...perhaps add a small air cooled radiator just before the fridge...but I'm going to put a reservoir tank in the fridge also, right after the radiator, so I don't know if I'll need the small radiator outside the fridge...just the one in the fridge in the liquid, followed by the reservoir...i'll have to check it out and let ya know...but again, Chip is a REALLY nice guy...
Unread 01-23-2001, 12:04 AM   #6
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

The radiator before the fridge will do a better job than any practical sized resiviour in the fride. Fluid temp depends on rates of heat exchange, not with reserves.. To show this, really just add up the heat going into the coolant and the heat leaving (which is a bit harder to do... ), and the sign of that number will indicate which way the fluid temp will change. This can be proved using ordinary (second order? not sure )differential equations. Notice that there is no dependance on the amount of fluid in the system... the amount of 'reserve' really just slows the change in temperature that ocurrs from the exchange of heat discussed above.

Argh, sorry to be so technical + abstract, but it's late and I like DE's.
Anyway... I'd dump the resivour idea, unless it's physically easy to implement (might be a good way to equalize pressure after the coolant reaches a 'chilled' equilibrium.. have an air trap in the top of the container to allow expansion / contraction.. hmm). But the best way would be to add a good radiator in the loop right before the fridge, so it takes the temp down as much as possible.

The other thing to watch out for is that dorm sized fridges don't have a lot of cooling 'horsepower', so it would almost be a necessity to put a radiator first.

Rich W.
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2001, 12:24 AM   #7
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

thanks for the info...I'm a junior in engineering physics...but i'm just starting to get into the good stuff now, heh...I'm doing diff eq now, transforming bernoulli's, homogenous, etc
Unread 01-23-2001, 12:57 AM   #8
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Ahhh.. the memories
hehe... take a look at the weekly pic at the bottom on ZZZ online http://www.ctnews3d.com/zzz/67.html and tell me how they made that What an interesting device.

I haven't had diff eq for a year or so... going to take intermediate diff eq next semester I think though... heh.

Rich W.
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2001, 11:59 AM   #9
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

says i'm not allowed to view the page, heh...

after I get through diff eq, I have two more semester of math...next semester we'll be doing alot of linear algebra...supposed to be an application based extension on Calc3...surface integrals, etc...then the last semester is partial diff eq's...should be freaky
Unread 02-11-2001, 09:27 PM   #10
Squishyface
Cooling Neophyte

eww....diff eq rocked my world....
....the first time i took it.....flunked it :P

Took it again as a computer-based class and got an 'A' without understanding a darn thing :P

Don't think i've ever missed a single math problem in my life until that awful class.

Went to med school instead of becoming an engineer. Lucky for the engineering community...hehe...

------------------
1.2Tbird @1456 with winter air cooling...yeah baby!
Squishyface is offline   Reply With Quote